What's new

WiFi signal strength question

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My wifi signal strength is almost always in the 70% range when I surf on my back patio about 30 feet from my router. Is 70 a good number? Am I getting full, or close to full, speed? I tried to google this question and didn't really get the info. I know this is a question better asked on a computer specific forum, but there are a lot of computer guys here and I get along better with people who smoke cigars :)

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
That is about the same as me. I haven't noticed a perceivable slow down in live or streaming video. When it drops into the 30% I can see a slow down. I'm no expert just my observation.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
When you are talking about Wifi, it usually all depends on what is between you and the router, regardless of how far away you are. I work in a school and we have campus wide wifi. In the brick and mortar classrooms one access point can cover up too three other rooms. In the portable classrooms we usually have to have a one to one ratio. Which really sucks when you have 24 portables. Other guys on here might have more info, but that has been my experience over the last six years that we have used it on campus.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I guess what I am asking is...If my signal strength was 99% instead of 77%, would web pages load more quickly? Or would the difference be negligible? My router antennae is omni and I'm wondering if a directional antennae or a booster would be worth it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I guess what I am asking is...If my signal strength was 99% instead of 77%, would web pages load more quickly? Or would the difference be negligible? My router antennae is omni and I'm wondering if a directional antennae or a booster would be worth it.
Short answer is ; Most likely not, your Internet is the bottleneck, even at 70 % the witless is faster than most broadband

That said interference from other wireless or equipment can also play a role (ie densely populated area)

If you don't drop a lot or dont noticed slowdowns I wouldn't worry too much about 70%

Other issues with small home routers is memory an cache especially when streaming < ie video over Skype for long periods

That's the quick answer

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It has been my experience that there is no noticeable difference in speed until my signal strength drops down to what I consider weak which is 30%. I am at about 60% on my deck and I don't see any difference as when I am in the same room as my router.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks bugbear and marc. I'm gonna leave it alone. It is pretty quick now, so I'm gonna worry about world peace instead of my wifi speed :)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Short answer is ; Most likely not, your Internet is the bottleneck, even at 70 % the witless is faster than most broadband

That said interference from other wireless or equipment can also play a role (ie densely populated area)

If you don't drop a lot or dont noticed slowdowns I wouldn't worry too much about 70%

Other issues with small home routers is memory an cache especially when streaming < ie video over Skype for long periods

That's the quick answer
Interesting about streaming, I have been having some problems. I thought it was because the external hd I was using was just too slow but I will have to look into this.