What's new

Will this work?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
My boss and I made a big order from JR recently and it just came in. Among his order was a box of Macanudo Vintage 2000 I. I'm wondering if I can use the box they came in as a Humidor. It has the same quadrant hinges on the corners and has magnets to keep the lid tight. If I close it on a piece of paper, i can pull it out, but it is difficult. I have to hold the box down or it will drag. I think it has a better seal than the current humi I'm using. What do you guys think? Has anyone seen this box up close?

Attachments

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Oh, never mind. As a standalone humidor does not look like that will work. Probably lets RH in and out. I would not recommend that.

Spent $20 and get a cooler and all your storage needs will be met till you fill it up.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i have a humidor-quality box (R&J Anni) that i keep flavored cigars in,,, keep it on the bookshelf. a small rectangular credo with some 50/50 and no problemos!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Step 1: Buy a cooler (any size, but bigger is better)
Step 2: Wash out cooler with some mild detergent to get the plastic smell out
Step 3: Let it dry out over night
Step 4: Put cigars in cooler
Step 5: Put humidification in cooler
Step 6: smoke cigars

The only thing to worry about is air circulation with a cooler as it seals so well. As long as you're opening it up every couple days, no problem.

If you want to have cedar (like the fancy humis) you can put some in there. I tend to just make sure I have boxes in there (which are made of cedar). Does the same thing. When I get some cedar sheets or blocks from boxes, I just throw them in there too. Some guys will line the whole thing with cedar, but that just takes up room for me and requires more work.

Keep an eye on the humidity, and you're good to go. You'll find the cooler holds temps a lot easier than a wooden humi.

Good luck.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
all gifts (okay, i bought the cao in vegas :shame: ),,, got some kahulua somthingoranothers, a few cuban honeys, and a couple cao moontrance! each in their own cello, all tucked away for a long winter's nap!:sleep:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks beautiful.

I would probably buy a bead tube and use it as a dry box if it doesn't hold RH that well.

I think you are obsessed (referring to forum activity) enough to refill the beads often enough to use it as a humi, even if it doesn't hold RH perfectly.:stretchgr

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
It looks beautiful.

I would probably buy a bead tube and use it as a dry box if it doesn't hold RH that well.

I think you are obsessed (referring to forum activity) enough to refill the beads often enough to use it as a humi, even if it doesn't hold RH perfectly.:stretchgr
I would have to agree and wife would certainly 2nd your thoughts on my obsession. I have a lot of down time at work, so you guys keep me busy. Plus you are a captive audience. I've got it in the coolerdor to make sure it is is seasoned Ok before putting any sticks in it. The beads are my next purchase. Thanks