Willy Herrera roll.jpg

Size: 5 x 46

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano

Binder: Honduran

Filler: Nicaraguan

MSRP: N/A

Total Production: N/A

Source: Willy Herrera; Local B&M Event

A few days ago a local shop had a Drew Estate event with Willy Herrera rolling his blend for the new Hererra Esteli; his first cigar with Drew Estate that will come out early next year. Needless to say Willy is one of the nicest people ive had the pleasure of meeting in the industry, and very generously gifted me a few of his new sticks as well as a few of his rolled sticks from the event.

Construction: Construction was surprisingly solid for a "just rolled" cigar, I gave the cigar overnight in my humidor to settle a bit and bring the humidity down just in case. Burn was dead even and held on for 1 1/2 inches before needing attention.

Pre-light: Wrapper aroma was very nice and simple; rich tobacco, and sour mustiness. The foot aroma was also very simple with a nice sweet tobacco. Pre-light draw was grassy, tobacco, and a touch of spice that was mostly on the wrapper and sat on the lips.

1st 3rd: Flavor started very earthy and nutty; Medium-bodied, with a little spice and a nice grassy and coca note. The resting aroma was extremely rich and enjoyable. Very balanced flavors with a nice long finish that continued to change.

2nd 3rd: Flavor became predominately nutty with a loss in the spice; just a touch of mineral and toast flavors, and a very nice "soft" stone fruit sweetness.

Final 3rd: Flavor returned to earthy; with coca, meaty, and spice notes intensifying in the last two inches.

Overall, an awesome cigar with very nice transition in flavor; The cocoa and earth notes and the nutty and stone-fruit notes seemed to change in unison very consistently. The "Softness" I attributed to the Stone-fruit sweetness was the best way I can describe the way that flavor sat on my palate; extremely enjoyable and blended well with the other flavors.

Appearance: 2/2
Construction: 2/2
Burn: 2/2
Flavor: 2/2
Price: N/A
Overall: 8/8*

Special thanks to Willy and DE rep Ben for a great event and the chance to try a great cigar.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Sounds good. Crazy that you gave it a perfect score being 1 day old. When I got custom rolls from WH I was told to let them sit a month before smoking.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Sounds good. Crazy that you gave it a perfect score being 1 day old. When I got custom rolls from WH I was told to let them sit a month before smoking.
Trust me I'm as surprised as you are;we smoked one the night of the event and I had to have one with a fresh palate a few days later, but It burned so well the night of I was floored. I'll return in a few months and try again, and will compare a fresh one with his line that's been aged a few months already.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I actually smoked one that was fresh also and I was told to either smoke it right away or wait a couple months but it did smoke pretty damn good fresh. Just having something like that when you watch it being hand rolled in front of you really adds to the experience. I always believe that a lot of the enjoyment comes from the mind set you are in while smoking it as well. Willy is one of the nicest guys I have met in the industry and he works his ass off at those events. Its hard not to love his passion.