What's new

Willy Herrera - Herrera Esteli pre-release

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
On May 4th I attended Cigar International's Cigarfest and was lucky enough to get my hands on a freshly rolled cigar straight from the hands of Willy Herrera himself!! It was slipped to me from Marvin Samel of Drew Estate while I was hanging around the Drew Estate compound on the second floor! This was probably because I was rocking my Undercrown t-shirt! :eyebrow: I was told that this was a pre-release prototype to the upcoming brand Herrera Esteli, blended by Willy Herrera and produced by Drew Estate. I have had the cigar sitting in my humi for the last three and a half months and decided to finally smoke it on my trip to Cancun, Mexico! I figured it would be a great cigar to do a review on...

The cigar is a robusto (not sure exact measurements). The construction looks perfect. The color of the wrapper is a nice light brown with a slight tone of orange. Very smooth to the touch with very light veining. The aroma from the wrapper was a very light cedar and cocoa but not much coming from the cigar. After a small snip with a double guillotine the prelight draw had an earthy, tobacco, and slight cocoa flavor with a perfect amount of resistance.

First third: Upon lighting the cigar i was only hit with a small amount of spice and some sweet tobacco. After about five puffs the spice really started to come in. Not a really strong spice but a good amount that lingered in the mouth for a good bit, almost the whole time between puffs! Along with the sweet spice I could taste a little dried fruit flavors and hints of cinnamon and cocoa. Very enjoyable so far with about a medium body and strength. Burning very nicely so far and producing a good amount of smoke.

Second third: Still a good amount of spice on the palette, but a good spice that still lingers between puffs. Definitely not overpowering, you just know it's there. The flavors are similar to the first third but have transitioned into a slightly darker profile. Still a slight sweetness to the tobacco but not as much as before. Still burning great especially considering I am on the beach with a steady breeze! Starting to feel a little bit of the nicotine (could be the Dos Equis) but wouldn't say it is anything above a medium-full right now. Still very tasty!

Final third: Transitioning into the final third the spice is dying down a bit but still there. The flavors are now of dark cocoa, dark tobacco, and a hint of really dark roast coffee. I caught a hint of vanilla at the beginning of the final third for only about two puffs and then it was gone which was weird. Wish it had stayed but the flavors that hung around were still enjoyable. Burn finally started to wave slightly due to the wind but nothing too serious. Still medium-full in body and strength. Didn't want to put it down but was running late for our dinner plans and ended this one at about an inch and a half.

Overall: I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke! Surprised at how long the spice hung around throughout the cigar and glad it did, especially since it was a nice, enjoyable spice, the kind you might see in some cc smokes. The flavors were nice and the burn was exceptional! Not sure how close this blend was compared to the blend that will be released but if it is anything like this I will definitely pick some of these up! I would also be interested in trying them in other sizes. It was awesome to get a chance to try one of these cigars especially one rolled by Willy Herrera himself!! It was great to meet Willy Herrera and Marvin Samel and a big thanks to both of them for hooking me up with this smoke! I had high hopes for this cigar and it didn't disappoint, Drew Estate teamed up with Willy Herrera is definitely a win!

Didn't have a chance to take a final pic...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Jimmypa,

Thats a solid review for the blend that you smoked at the time of Cigarfest.

The final blend that Willy decided to go with is bolder and with a more peppery kick. The wrapper is still the Ecuadorian Habano and from the same priming, but there are some changes to the filler that bring out a heavier, spicier, and more rich component.

And in regard to Markofoz' question - Willy has been with DE for like 15 months already, living in Nicaragua for over one year. At best, we can see some HERRERA ESTELI in November or December. Before we worry about availability, lets make sure that we can make the cigar consistent.

Best,
JD

IMG_0918.jpg

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
JD,
Thanks, can't wait to try the release, sounds great! Sorry, didn't get a chance to say whats up to you at cfest but it was a madhouse up in the drew estate loft every time I went up there! Big thanks to you too for making this line happen!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Jimmypa,

Thats a solid review for the blend that you smoked at the time of Cigarfest.

The final blend that Willy decided to go with is bolder and with a more peppery kick. The wrapper is still the Ecuadorian Habano and from the same priming, but there are some changes to the filler that bring out a heavier, spicier, and more rich component.

And in regard to Markofoz' question - Willy has been with DE for like 15 months already, living in Nicaragua for over one year. At best, we can see some HERRERA ESTELI in November or December. Before we worry about availability, lets make sure that we can make the cigar consistent.

Best,
JD

View attachment 25122
JD, I'm curious has the blend been tweaked since the casa de montecristo event in June? I really enjoyed the freshrolled I got, not to mention getting to meet the DE crew! Regardless, that sample left me wanting a box and I can't wait to pick some up later in the year.

LOD

Just a guy smoking cigars
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Smoked one from Cigarfest as well as from the IPCPR tradeshow. The final blend at IPCPR was what I considered one of the Gems of the tradeshow!!! I secured another from Willie at Chattanooga during the tweetup. Cant wait to smoke it again!!! Home run DE and Willie Herrera.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Chemforever & LOD ...

I am 95% positive of this info:

* The Blend at CigarFest was brought up in pepper, spice and body before the Casa event.
* The Blend at IPCPR was brought up one step from there in strength, but those cigars were very fresh and were still hitting like bombs.

This is the best of my recollection and may be fine tuned by Saka, Willy, or Nicholas Melillo.

Best,
JD

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Anybody heard anything more on these? Just wondering if the Nov/Dec release date is still the plan....sounds like a cigar I need to try.