What's new

Willy

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Our brother @BrewinHooligan, in an effort to improve his cigar rolling skills, has apprenticed himself to Cuban immigrant Guillermo (Willy) Carranza. I ordered a box 25 of of Willy's robusto "Cuban Line" cigars for a Franklin. They arrived yesterday. Fired one up. Taste great.

Here's the neggies:
They came to me in a thin plastic bag inside a cardboard USPS priority mail box... no cellos, no bands, no cigar box, and no water pillow. The USPS box did not look like an elephant sat on it; but the cigars sure did. Here's what happened to the heads:

Here's what happened to the feet:

I don't know ... did these stix blew up because they were yanked out of a humid room in Arizona into the dry heat and shipped basically nekkid? Or did the mailman shake them too hard in their box, or did he sit on the box? I dunno. But I will bet you that if they had been packaged properly, inside cellos, inside a wooden box, box itself wrapped in cello, they would have had a better chance, and a repeat customer.

Now, that we got the neggies out of the way, here's the pozzies:

You ever had one of those Cuban cigars that delivers that typically rich velvety cocoa flavor? All savory and rounded, yet soft and smooth? No bite; no pepper; just habano; all kindsa cocoa, bread and spice with a touch of leather and a waft of cedar. Thick smoke with a mellifluous finish. Ever burnt a soft wonderful Cuban like that? No, of course you haven't, cause that would be illegal. Why would I even ask? Me neither, let me point out. So let me just say that from what I have read about 'em, I can see why Willy calls these things "Cuban line".

I bought these in hopes they'd make good ammo for my annual Johnny Sotweedseed project this summer. Johnny Appleseed stalked the Appalachians on foot, sowing the joy of apples. His namesake Johnny Sotweedseed rides his motorcycle down the Appalachians, sowing cigar bombs on unsuspecting campers. But I fear these cigars would not suit beginners. Somewhere along the middle, their nicotine would likely kick a newb's ass. Me, I powered thru, the flavor got even richer, and I nubbed it. I don't like a peppery strength. Not much a fan of espresso either. I like that nutmeg spice kind of strength. That may be the one thing this cigar lacked, for me, is not enough nutmeg. This, despite its soft texture, delivered a heady kick. Good for me; not for newbs, not unless they are already cigarette smokers.

I was sniffing digits the rest of the night, and awoke with a very pleasant morning mouth.

Now if you will excuse me, I got a jug of these to burn, so I better get busy.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You guys don't have to do that BH. They taste real fine either way. Let Willy know that.

I stood on the bridge yesterday lunch and sparked this one:

Super tasty. Wish the pic was clearer, but it's hard to make out my phone screen in the sun. Dang thing focused on the riverbank on the left. Bright sunny day, 75 degrees, after five days in a row without rain (that classifies as a drought here... not kidding), with a good breeze to boot. I am encouraged how you can see the mold mark down the side. I have been fighting that mold mark in my own rolls using FX's CT shade. That leaf is so totally thin and delicate.

Here's the same stick half an hour later:

Again, the damn phone focused on the river bank. Anyway, wanted to show you how the wrapper unraveled. Might be that wrap is just too fragile for either a rough trip courtesy of the post office or else a sunny dry day with a nice breeze. Need to confine it indoors, on my smoking porch. Time I was two thirds down, I could see the rough bunch we were talking about. Really enjoying these smokes. I recommend them to anyone.

Did you wrap any of them yourself?