What's new

Wimbledon Records!?!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I don't watch tennis normally, but got damn... there's a Wimbledon men's match going on right now that's approaching 10 hours in length! There is no 5th set tiebreaker and the game score in the 5th set is 59-58! That's games, not points! The 5th set alone is coming up to 7 hours.

It's Amercian Isner vs Frenchie Mahut

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yeah, the American is big dude who can barely move anymore. But, he has a powerful shot. The Frenchie is a little guy who can still run all over the court.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Well it got too dark... the game is suspended at 59-59 games until tomorrow. 10 hours exactly of match play!?! I think that benefits the American although he wanted to continue...

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
That match is ridiculous! 59-all in the 5th? Crazy...that's like playing 14 sets, and it's still not over!
Isner played for UGA here. He is absolutely gassed, so I can't believe he wanted to continue. It was Mahut who wanted play suspended, but he looked like he was still pretty mobile...go figure.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
So are you guys saying the NFL isn't a sport or competitive sport? They can, and have ended in ties. Or the NHL? :dunno:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Why didn't they just call it a tie, like in soccer? Oh yeah,that's right- because sports don't end in ties!!!
Well several sports do end in ties. get on the band wagon...football/soccer is coming to America in a BIG way. Remember this is the most popular sport on the planet. For some reason Americans have decided it is OK for us to suck at it. Well with our recent advancement in the World Cup, I bet we see it's popularity gain momentum.

back on topic. I used to hate those matches that went on for hours.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
as someone who has been around a few more years than most of you, i can attest to the fact that every couple of years people say how popular soccer is becoming and it will soon be as popular as football. they've been saying that for 25+ years and it still isn't there. even with more and more kids playing. maybe, maybe, in another 25 years it may be more popular, but it will never equal football or baseball in our lifetimes.
imho

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
[/QUOTE]

as someone who has been around a few more years than most of you, i can attest to the fact that every couple of years people say how popular soccer is becoming and it will soon be as popular as football. they've been saying that for 25+ years and it still isn't there. even with more and more kids playing. maybe, maybe, in another 25 years it may be more popular, but it will never equal football or baseball in our lifetimes.
imho
I definitely agree with you Bob, seems like people say this every World Cup...

I do believe soccer will eventually become more mainstream with the superior athletes of this county because look how many kids grow up playing soccer, so it just inevitable. It's just that when kids get older, all they see on tv is football, basketball and baseball so those are the "cool" and popular sports to play in high school.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been one helluva a Wimbledon, and it's only the second round! First, Federer almost loses to a nobody in the first round, then this 3-day marathon... can't wait to see what awaits. :blob: