What's new

Windows 7

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
been wondering the same thing. i'm not enough of a computer geek to pre-order a computer program. i would really look forward to dumping vista however.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well If I believe all the commercials with the little girl, I should be able to make some pretty cool pictures with Windows 7. :nodlaugh:
I'm a MAC guy, but since I support Windows I'll have to go out and pick up a copy today.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've read mostly good things. It's was Vista should have been ... yadda yadda. But, it will be a PITA to upgrade (you basically have to backup data, reformat the HD and reinstall the OS and all apps), so most would be better off just buying a new PC with it installed.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I've read mostly good things. It's was Vista should have been ... yadda yadda. But, it will be a PITA to upgrade (you basically have to backup data, reformat the HD and reinstall the OS and all apps), so most would be better off just buying a new PC with it installed.
The guy that I DJ for owns a computer company, he does networking and whatever. He said he'd do it for me, took the serial # off my laptop and found all the drivers, so I think I'm gonna have him load it, no freakin' way I'd try it myself.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Beautiful Moutains of Western North Carolina
If you are upgrading from vista, then it's just a simple upgrade install. However if you are installing from XP, you will have to back up all your data. I would recommend every window user upgrade to 7. It runs buttery smooth, more applications, better UAC, more tweaks for nerds (like me), and if you buy enterprise or ultimate, you can run XP in virtualization mode. PM me if you have an tech questions. Just did a clean install and I love it. I personally prefer mac os and linux over windows, however 7 may change your opinion about windows OSes.

Last edited:

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Add this too. It is the first version, so there will be bugs. I always wait for the second version. But, if you have vista, upgrade now.. I have XP Pro, so I don't really need to make the switch.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
User account control. Those annoying permissions pop-ups that ask for your permission. They were introduced in vista. But since you have XP you were spared. :angel:7 does a great job of balancing those out, so instead of having to turn off the UAC you can run it.
No, I have Vista now and HATE those freakin' pop ups that continue to question my authority. God bless Microsoft if they got rid of that annoyance.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Beautiful Moutains of Western North Carolina
No, I have Vista now and HATE those freakin' pop ups that continue to question my authority. God bless Microsoft if they got rid of that annoyance.
LOL. You can get rid of the UAC in vista if you want.

All you have to do is Open up your Control Panel, and type in “UAC” into the search box. You’ll see a link for “Turn User Account Control on or off”:

On the next screen you should uncheck the box for “Use User Account Control, and then click on the OK button.

You’ll need to reboot your computer before the changes take effect, but you should be all done with annoying prompts.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
lol. You can get rid of the uac in vista if you want.

All you have to do is open up your control panel, and type in “uac” into the search box. You’ll see a link for “turn user account control on or off”:

On the next screen you should uncheck the box for “use user account control, and then click on the ok button.

You’ll need to reboot your computer before the changes take effect, but you should be all done with annoying prompts.
nice!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I was running the beta and dare i say the first windows OS that gonna give Mac OS a run for it's money. if your running XP i say wait a while, just for compatability, allow all the manufactures to come out with the new win 7 drivers. or if your computer is capable of VM environments you can purchase the professional version and just use the XP compatability mode. but everyone should upgrade, if your not that technical i say wait about a month so they can work out any bugs that pop up

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
LOL. You can get rid of the UAC in vista if you want.

All you have to do is Open up your Control Panel, and type in “UAC” into the search box. You’ll see a link for “Turn User Account Control on or off”:

On the next screen you should uncheck the box for “Use User Account Control, and then click on the OK button.

I may not be the best person on the computer but where do I find my control panel?

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Windows 7 has been getting LOTS of really good press on all the geek & gadget blogs for a while now. If I had a PC with Vista, I wouldn't hesitate a minute to upgrade to WIndows 7.

HOWEVER, if I had a PC running XP, I might consider waiting a minute--maybe even waiting to buy a new computer with Windows 7 pre-installed.

Thankfully, I have neither.