What's new

Wine and cigars

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just tried to have a glass of Pinot Noir with my PLPC. It didn't work. Is there any type of wine that goes well with cigars? Any recommendations?

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Port and Champagne are my two favorites... I try to enjoy them with cigars as often as possible. Never often enough though.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Cigars usually draw out the tannic structures of wine. Higher alcohol and more extracted wines fare better with cigars. I am a strong supporter of the drinking of Sauternes with cubans and especially Epernays from Illusione. It works really well with most lighter cigars. I go with Madeira/sherry/port with stronger cigars. Madeira from the Rare Wine Company is excellent.

Some wines that may pair okay with cigars are huge extracted fruit and alcohol bombs. The wineries that fall in this style are Michael & David wines, Mollydooker, Pahlmeyer, Red Car Wine Company, Orin Swift, and a lot of Shiraz makers from Australia (especially Barossa Valley). These wines tread the alcohol boundaries of what designates regular wine from fortified wines.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Don't limit yourself to just port. There is an amazing world of great wines that can pair really well with cigars. Try Tokaji or Banyuls. I even pair some lighter cigars with orange muscat or with extra dry moscatos or even spatlese rieslings. I will drink cremant de Bourgogne as a cheaper alternative to overpriced champagne. Another good one would be Vin Santo,......hopes this helps broaden your scope of great cigar pairings.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ahh, this is my specialty. I work in the wine industry, and I love my cigars. Obviously. I'm working on my sommelier certification currently.

Truth is almost any wine pairs with any cigar. Just needs to be the right wine and cigar. Me personally, I tend to pick out my smoke first, then think about the wine. But it can be done either way.

As others have already mentioned, higher alcohol fortified wines parlay exceptionally well, these are a common pairing: Tawny Ports- especially 20yrs, sherries, good call with the Amarone above, another richer, higher alcohol red.

But just about anything pairs, for reds, you can go lighter like a pinot noir, but it has to be the right Pinot with a lighter cigars. I prefer Russian river valley Pinots that have been french oak aged on the tail end of their drinking peak. The French oak, and age of the wine will impart a earthy, leathery, tobacco like finish to the Pinot, that when paired with a milder broadleaf cigar, also has that earthy, leathery flavors to it. I say Russian River Valley region especially, because this regions Pinot are ripe and fruit forward to start, with almost a sweet raspberry and strawberry flavors that pairs well with the light sweetness of a Rosada wrapper as well.

I tend to trend towards California reds, mostly Central Coasts. Higher alcohol, rich, full bodied reds go well with most medium to full bodied smokes. Some of my favorite varietals are Old Vine Zinfandels (Paso Robles, Lodi, Sonoma, Napa for a more tannin Zin), Petite Sirah (Dark and jammy, a nice Maduro like an EPC, or a slightly fruity and sweet by dark Mexican wrapper like a Mi Amor pairs well too.), Barbera, Barolo, Nebbiolo (These Italian reds can have awesome dark fruit to start and earthy finishes as well that go well with almost all cigars from Habano to Maduro).

I've had success with all types of wine, but my suggestion would be to think about your smoke first, what it tastes like, and then try and figure out a drink that has a few similar taste notes. Some more examples I've stumbled upon and enjoyed: Davidoffs with a creamy, light flavor with Chenin Blanc (off dry, semi sweet white wine has white floral notes and a light creaminess that works with the Conneticut Shade flavors.) Full bodied Napa Cabs with Broadleaf NC (Both are powerful, and have a bite to them) Grenache, Tempranillo.

Have fun with it, read some tasting notes. I'm more than happy to help you along the way. My question to you would be, what do you like to drink and smoke normally when you're having them individually? Start with what you like, I bet we could find a nice pairing in what you already enjoy regularly.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Ahh, this is my specialty. I work in the wine industry, and I love my cigars. Obviously. I'm working on my sommelier certification currently.

Truth is almost any wine pairs with any cigar. Just needs to be the right wine and cigar. Me personally, I tend to pick out my smoke first, then think about the wine. But it can be done either way.

As others have already mentioned, higher alcohol fortified wines parlay exceptionally well, these are a common pairing: Tawny Ports- especially 20yrs, sherries, good call with the Amarone above, another richer, higher alcohol red.

But just about anything pairs, for reds, you can go lighter like a pinot noir, but it has to be the right Pinot with a lighter cigars. I prefer Russian river valley Pinots that have been french oak aged on the tail end of their drinking peak. The French oak, and age of the wine will impart a earthy, leathery, tobacco like finish to the Pinot, that when paired with a milder broadleaf cigar, also has that earthy, leathery flavors to it. I say Russian River Valley region especially, because this regions Pinot are ripe and fruit forward to start, with almost a sweet raspberry and strawberry flavors that pairs well with the light sweetness of a Rosada wrapper as well.

I tend to trend towards California reds, mostly Central Coasts. Higher alcohol, rich, full bodied reds go well with most medium to full bodied smokes. Some of my favorite varietals are Old Vine Zinfandels (Paso Robles, Lodi, Sonoma, Napa for a more tannin Zin), Petite Sirah (Dark and jammy, a nice Maduro like an EPC, or a slightly fruity and sweet by dark Mexican wrapper like a Mi Amor pairs well too.), Barbera, Barolo, Nebbiolo (These Italian reds can have awesome dark fruit to start and earthy finishes as well that go well with almost all cigars from Habano to Maduro).

I've had success with all types of wine, but my suggestion would be to think about your smoke first, what it tastes like, and then try and figure out a drink that has a few similar taste notes. Some more examples I've stumbled upon and enjoyed: Davidoffs with a creamy, light flavor with Chenin Blanc (off dry, semi sweet white wine has white floral notes and a light creaminess that works with the Conneticut Shade flavors.) Full bodied Napa Cabs with Broadleaf NC (Both are powerful, and have a bite to them) Grenache, Tempranillo.

Have fun with it, read some tasting notes. I'm more than happy to help you along the way. My question to you would be, what do you like to drink and smoke normally when you're having them individually? Start with what you like, I bet we could find a nice pairing in what you already enjoy regularly.
Very cool information. We have been thinking about doing a wine cigar tasting up here in Ventura. Useful information.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As a wine guy myself (just got finished with this week's WineBid auction - won all my bids but one where I forgot to set an autobid and some guy sniped me with 9 seconds left - bastid - I'll get you one day VAWinebuyer!)... I actually disagree with a lot of what MReschke0626 wrote above (which is great - we all have different tastes and opinions)!

I actually look for wines that have completely DIFFERENT flavor profiles than my cigars... and it's NOT about the alcohol content for me.

Let me explain:

I've found that, when you have a wine that contains similar flavor notes to your cigar, BOTH the wine and cigar get lost in each other and the experience isn't great. You don't taste those cedar notes in the cigar if your wine is full of the same flavors... and vice versa - you lose those leathery notes in your wine if your cigar is packed with them (there's a reason we often use ginger to cleanse the palate - not just a different wine).

The reason I've found porto historically goes so well with cigars is not because of their alcohol content... but because of the typically very sweet fruits, nuts, butter and caramel flavors involved that are such a stark CONTRAST to your normal cigar (now, a vanilla flavored and sugar dipped cigar might not be enjoyed as much with portos).

In looking for OPPOSING flavors, I've found that my palate is shifted by the cigar and I'm able to taste seemingly whole new flavors, in my glass of wine, after I take a puff on my cigar. At the same time... the wine cleanses my palate of the cigar flavors so that my next puff is like brand new again, bringing my cigar flavors to the forefront again. It's a game of back-and-forth between my cigar and wine... and the opposing flavors make EACH better!

I'll give you a very specific example:

My favorite regular production cigar is a Cohiba Siglo VI. I would personally note pretty consistent flavors of leather, cocoa, "barnyard" earthiness that has some grassy notes to it, and some sweet spice. When choosing a wine, I've previously made the mistake of reaching for a Kistler Kistler Pinot Noir that I've noted definite grassy earth and leathery notes in as well. When smoking and drinking, they are somewhat lost in each other. My palate is just in a state of relaxation where earthiness and leather flavors flow across them ad infinitum.

For MReschke0626, this appears to be what he is looking for - that smooth consistency of flavors. I'm not like that... it was NOT the best oairing for me! I enjoy something carmelized with my steak...... and something rich (brownie typically) with my ice cream. I don't want smooth consistency... I want competing flavors that keep my tastebuds more "active," if you will. All of us have different opinions on what is "good," and that is it for me!

What has worked much better for me is a few different favorite Riesling wines. I've even narrowed it down more specifically over the years... to find that I like Auslese Rieslings from the Middle Mosel region of Germany (so much so, that last month I visited the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region and took part in the Meisterworkers der Mosel wine tasting and auction... and visited some of my favorite wineries to even include a private tour with Raimund Pruem and staying at a bed and breakfast at the vineyards -- that's the level of wine nerdery we're talkin' here). The sweeter, fruit forward, long buttery finishing Riesling wines compliment my favorite cigars because my favorite cigars are nothing like them!

So, there ya have it...... two different wine nerds...... two different opinions on cigar pairings.

BOTH of us will very likely agree that "taste" is an extremely subjective animal when it comes to choosing what you LIKE in a pairing (which is why we all like different foods, wines, and cigars in the first place)...... and I'm sure we BOTH would recommend you try a few different pairings for yourself and find which side of the camp YOU fall into. MORE wine tasting is NEVER a bad thing!

Cheers, brother... and good luck! :cbig:
Completely agree while having completely different answers. Good pairings should run the gamut of having all sorts of similar and opposing flavors.

You might find that you like more similarities with certain wines or cigars, and more contrasting flavors with other wines and cigars. He really hit the nail on the head though, it's all subjective and about having fun. What tastes great to me, might taste terrible to you, we're all different. The fun part is discovering what you enjoy.

On a note of comparing and contrasting flavors, I should clarify my thought process a little, I don't try and have as many similar flavors as possible, that would end up in a muddled mess where neither would stand out on your palate. I aim for a few similar flavors to connect the two, a majority of the flavors will still be contrasting. I only say this as a word of caution because starting by looking at complimenting opposite flavors can end up with you tasting and smoking something that absolutely doesn't go with your drink, and that can quickly scare off people new to pairing because they might hit more busts on their first few tries than hits.

But, then again, like both of us have said, what's awesome for one person could be garbage for another. So it might turn out great for you anyways. As I'm sure he'd agree, that's why cork dork like us like going to tastings and dinners and things like that. It's fun to look at a menu and go, "Hmm, I've never thought of pairing that before." or "Hmmm, I've never had THAT wine or that dish before." only to discover that, tada, it pairs amazing and you love it. And then hopefully that inspires you to get a little more creative with your pairings yourself too!

Have fun! We're here to help!!

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Some mixed drinks that involve wine that we drink a lot here in Texas include "French 77's" "Old Cubans" "Pisco Sours" and my own concoction of Agavero Tequila with champagne (can sweeten with a few drops of honey or Agave nectar). Or you can do like the French and spike white wine with cassis. All of these are great with habanos.

Just a few more suggestions that are out of the norm.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I own a winery on the Central Coast is Paso Robles and I think we all make wines that go with cigars for the reasons mentioned by others. Bold Syrah blends tend to hold up well. Look for wines in your area from the Central Coast.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I own a winery on the Central Coast is Paso Robles and I think we all make wines that go with cigars for the reasons mentioned by others. Bold Syrah blends tend to hold up well. Look for wines in your area from the Central Coast.
I love central coast wine! Where can a fellow brother get some of your Syrah and other wines??

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
This is a great thread! I haven't had much luck paring wine with cigars yet. Though Port does go well with an Anejo. I like Shiraz and C.S. a lot, but haven't had much luck in pairing (though I haven't tried much). I've had much better luck with rum and Scotch.

I have yet to try it, but I'll be a good Tequila and a good Saki would pair well too, they are both very clean spirits.