caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I MIGHT NEED TO LOOK FOR A MORE POWERFUL OPTION OTHER THAN THE OUST FANS. i THINK A BIT MORE CIRCULATION WILL STABALIZE THINGS A BIT MORE. MAYBE A LARGER CPU TYPE FAN WOULD WORK BETTER THAN THE OUST FANS

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It most certainly should Kelly, just a matter of wiring the sucker in. Steve turned me onto probably the best idea and that is a CPU fan, a plug and wire (think of anything you plug in, with the plug on one end and bare wires on the other) from Home Depot/Lowes and a light timer. I plan on doing this as soon as I can get around to it. The only issue is figuring out how to get the wiring into the cooler to reach the fan. I'm going to see if I can find a plug where the wire is thin enough to go in through the drain.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I MIGHT NEED TO LOOK FOR A MORE POWERFUL OPTION OTHER THAN THE OUST FANS. i THINK A BIT MORE CIRCULATION WILL STABALIZE THINGS A BIT MORE. MAYBE A LARGER CPU TYPE FAN WOULD WORK BETTER THAN THE OUST FANS
Dude, Why are you shouting. We are right here. :waving:

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
SORRY MY COMPUTER IS HEARING IMPARED! TWAT DID YOU SAY? I HAVE A EAR INFUCKSION! NEVER MIND I'LL FINGER IT OUT LATER!:grinFU:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It most certainly should Kelly, just a matter of wiring the sucker in. Steve turned me onto probably the best idea and that is a CPU fan, a plug and wire (think of anything you plug in, with the plug on one end and bare wires on the other) from Home Depot/Lowes and a light timer. I plan on doing this as soon as I can get around to it. The only issue is figuring out how to get the wiring into the cooler to reach the fan. I'm going to see if I can find a plug where the wire is thin enough to go in through the drain.
I've been meaning to do that for my coolers

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have discovered a flaw in my master plan.

The power went out for a few minutes during a storm the other day. I thought nothing of it.

A few hours later, my latest shipment from cbid arrived. After inspecting my new babies, I went to put them into my Vinotemp, and saw that the inside temp had dropped to about 58-ish, and the humidity was down around 50.

Apparently when the power kicks back on, this model resets itself to the lowest temp setting (?!)...then it runs and runs and runs until the temp drops.

Unfortunately, my power goes out on a fairly regular basis down here. If it happens while I am out of town, this thing is going to parch my little friends.

Drat! :cursing:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0

The power went out for a few minutes during a storm the other day. I thought nothing of it.

A few hours later, my latest shipment from cbid arrived. After inspecting my new babies, I went to put them into my Vinotemp, and saw that the inside temp had dropped to about 58-ish, and the humidity was down around 50.

Apparently when the power kicks back on, this model resets itself to the lowest temp setting (?!)...then it runs and runs and runs until the temp drops.

Unfortunately, my power goes out on a fairly regular basis down here. If it happens while I am out of town, this thing is going to parch my little friends.

That is not good.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yeah, I've dealt with that as well. You either need to get a battery back-up, or just be sure to check it often.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a 8 bottle thermoelectric cooler which I use in the summer because it gets up to 100. I want to keep my collection small right now .
Before I put my sticks in it I ran some test to see how the beads hold up while the cooler is running. I put 5 oz of beads which was twice as much needed and my RH would drop to low 50's. Right now in the summer time I just put the sticks in a tupperware container that almost as big as the opening of the cooler and my sticks stay at 70 with 69% RH.

Its simple. I would say keep them in tupperware till you can work the bugs out.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0

Definitely time to invest in a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) from a computer store.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Definitely time to invest in a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) from a computer store.
UPS it is...thank you.

Long story, short - I was out of town all last week. Wife's been watching too much HGTV, and decided to do a surprise remodel of our master bathroom while I am OOT. This apparently involved shutting off the electricity, because I came back today to find the Vinotemp at 56 degrees and 53% humidity. She says it was 5 days ago that they turned the power on/off. Grrrr...

Kicker - The bathroom remodel was a "hastily done" (I'll refrain from using the phrase "half-assed" out of respect for my better half) and about 95% complete, so if I want it done right I will have to finish it myself. :rolling:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
UPS it is...thank you.

Long story, short - I was out of town all last week. Wife's been watching too much HGTV, and decided to do a surprise remodel of our master bathroom while I am OOT. This apparently involved shutting off the electricity, because I came back today to find the Vinotemp at 56 degrees and 53% humidity. She says it was 5 days ago that they turned the power on/off. Grrrr...

Kicker - The bathroom remodel was a "hastily done" (I'll refrain from using the phrase "half-assed" out of respect for my better half) and about 95% complete, so if I want it done right I will have to finish it myself. :rolling:
Jeez dude, that SUCKS. Sounds like she owes you.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have to add in on using a cpu fan. Most of the fans are 12 volt. What I did was to take the actual fan out of a computer power supply, and hooked it back up to the power supply ( wich is now running without a fan) and I put the fan into the wine cooler. If you use a long enough and thin enough gauge wire you can run it right out the door. I have to say that it works great and provides quite a bit more air circulation. I can leave it on all the time too. I have to say very nice. Keeps humidity much better. thanks for all the great ideas guys.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look where the sensor is on your cooler. I have a A&K and I think most models are of same components.

I moved the sensor closer to the element.

I was getting 60F instead of the advertised 64F.

I now have a extremely accurate 68F on the bottom and 68,18F in the top.
With just 0,2F variation according to my weather monitors in one week.
With ambient temps varying about 20F.

Attachments

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
UPS it is...thank you.

Damn! That sucks!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

An average UPS wont run a cooler very long, (unless you dump a lot of money on a huge one.)
the coolers just use too much electricity for the average UPS to handle very long.
another route you may try is using a seperate temp controller, like a Ranco.
the temp controllers built into most coolers arent worth a crap anyway.
even after a power outage the Ranco controllers do not lose their settings.
so when the power comes back on the cooler will stabilize again quickly.
as long as your outages are just for hours and not days, you should be okay.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An average UPS wont run a cooler very long, (unless you dump a lot of money on a huge one.)
the coolers just use too much electricity for the average UPS to handle very long.
another route you may try is using a seperate temp controller, like a Ranco.
the temp controllers built into most coolers arent worth a crap anyway.
even after a power outage the Ranco controllers do not lose their settings.
so when the power comes back on the cooler will stabilize again quickly.
as long as your outages are just for hours and not days, you should be okay.

We all pretty much want the coolers to cool as little as possible.
This ensures that:
Have a look where the sensor is on your cooler. I have a A&K and I think most models are of same components.

I moved the sensor closer to the element.

I was getting 60F instead of the advertised 64F.

I now have a extremely accurate 68F on the bottom and 68,18F in the top.
With just 0,2F variation according to my weather monitors in one week.
With ambient temps varying about 20F.
But, ok, my ambient temp is around 70F-81F.

I don't know how it would work out for you guys with temps over 85F.