What's new

Wine Cooler Question???

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this has been weighing on my mind for the last few weeks, and I finally figured I'd get around to posting. Here's my story:

I bought an 18 bottle Haier thermo-electric wine cooler back in May, and ordered 1lb of HF beads (70%), and 7 large tubes of HF beads (65%). I also ordered 7 custom size drawers from Chasidor for the cooler (hence the 7 tubes). While I waited 4.5 months for my drawers, I had my cigars (about 200, all singles) in old cigar boxes, which I wiped down with DW before I put the cigars in the cooler. The 1lb of loose beads were split between two large (6x8) dishes, and the tubes were placed on the wire racks next to the cigar boxes. I live in the Chicago area, so high humidity and temps are an issue in the summer. Hence, I ran the cooler at its highest temp all summer (65 degrees). My problem was that the beads went from clear to white within days. I used almost a gallon of DW over those 4.5 months. From misting to saturating, there was no difference. Within 3 days of charging my RH would drop into the high 50s, and the beads were as white as virgin snow.

I finally get the long awaited drawers from Chasidor in mid-October. After they were properly seasoned I put one tube in each drawer (solid bottom/glass top) and left the pound of loose beads in the dishes. Since it's almost November by the time I finally get this going, I unplug the cooler since it's now cool enough to not have it running. My drawers are reading between 65% and 68%, but the cooler itself is at 75% (temp 66). Yes, my hygros are calibrated with boveda packs.

Here are the two things that bother me:

1) The cooler itself is at 75% with 70% beads, and they are completely white, like they need to be charged. Shouldn't some of them appear clear? Since they're all white, and my RH is high, shouldn't they be regulating the RH back to 70%? The RH hasn't budged from 75% in almost a month.
2) As soon as it gets hot again, and I need to plug it back in, I know I'll have the same problem with them holding RH.

Thoughts/comments....

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I ran a 28 bottle Avanti few years back. I had an Cigar Oasis active RH system placed on the bottom since RH rises. I used kitty litter that is about 68% when fully charged on the top. I think during the summer months you are going to need an active system to keep the RH at a comfortable level.

I have no clue why you are reading 75% Rh in there with that many beads.

I think you need more cedar in there. Are you keeping the singles in the boxes or all loose on the shelves? More cedar & cigars = less RH bounce when you open the door.

I don't get why you have 70% & 65% beads in the same unit. I would go with one or the other. You have 7 tubes of 65% beads that should be enough by themselves one for each shelf should be good.

Lastly do you have a small fan to stir the air like Oust or a CPU fan? During winter no air gets circulated, that might help.

Get that 75% RH down try opening the door for a minute or two, then close for few hours and check RH again. I am positive the RH in your room is very low now should get the RH down quickly.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take the beads out and dry them out. They might look white but they probably are over-saturated (did you pour water on them?). Then spray distilled water on them with a spray bottle. Try 10 sprays and then wait a day and see what happens. If there is not sufficient RH then spray some more.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Is the drain hole plugged? Just like any humidor, you're trying to maintain a specific environment and seal is important. If the drain hole is not sealed you will fight agains whatever is going on in the room.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. To clear up a few of the points:

No drain hole in this unit to plug.

I use 65 and 70 beads because I want the enclosed drawers that my sticks are in at 65. That's were the 65 tubes are. The 70 loose beads are to keep the unit at a higher RH to allow for quicker recovery when the door is opened.

There isn't a clear bead in either dish, and I haven't added DW since I put the drawers in at the end of October.

There is plenty of cedar in there. Seven enclosed drawers from chasidor, along with one cedar shelf. Also have 3 pieces of 6x4 cedar at the bottom of the unit.

Not using a fan at this time, but will be ordering an Oust fan today (if I can find one).

I would assume that the fridge acts much like my house during the summer when the AC is on. Meaning, when the AC is running, the air is drier. Even though this is an TE wine cooler, the physics are the same. Colder temps equal lower RH. I was just surprised that the beads dried out as fast as they did when the unit was running. I do have an old Cigar Oasis, so maybe I'll try that when it's time to turn the cooler back on. I was curious as to if there was a problem with my beads, and thinking of changing to KL too.

Thanks again for the responses.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I know you said they were calibrated, but I would recalibrate all hygros with bovedas again for 24 or 48 hrs. Something seems off, if the humidity really was 75% then your beads should be completely saturated. To me it seems like your humidity is actually a lot lower than what you are reading. Good luck.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Is the drain hole plugged? Just like any humidor, you're trying to maintain a specific environment and seal is important. If the drain hole is not sealed you will fight agains whatever is going on in the room.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
My first thoughts after seeing this were whether or not the unit was properly sealed and the second being how accurate hydros are. Check your seals and re calibrate your hygros with a boveda kit and see if there is an improvement

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thoughts after seeing this were whether or not the unit was properly sealed and the second being how accurate hydros are. Check your seals and re calibrate your hygros with a boveda kit and see if there is an improvement
Yep, seal is good. Hygros (total of 3) were all calibrated when I put the drawers in back in October, and again last week. Boveda packs, not salt.

Here's my real question, I guess: Are my beads not working right, or at all? Too much water in the past, washing away the salts? I've read so much about them, I don't know what to believe. Too much water won't hurt...too much water and they're ruined....they're fine if they split.....on and on.

I'm confident of the seal. It's cold, my heat's cranking, static shock all over the place, yet the cooler is on the high end of RH.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
From what I understand heartfelt beads only absorb water and ammonia. They will continue to work regardless if they split and should hold the rh steady for quite some time without tending too.

Also, direct airflow over the beads has been known to accelerate the speed at which moisture evaporates, if this is the case it could be partly to blame for your issues.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yep, seal is good. Hygros (total of 3) were all calibrated when I put the drawers in back in October, and again last week. Boveda packs, not salt.

Here's my real question, I guess: Are my beads not working right, or at all? Too much water in the past, washing away the salts? I've read so much about them, I don't know what to believe. Too much water won't hurt...too much water and they're ruined....they're fine if they split.....on and on.

I'm confident of the seal. It's cold, my heat's cranking, static shock all over the place, yet the cooler is on the high end of RH.
Try verifying the RH of the beads -- place them in a ZipLock with a hygro for a few hours.