What's new

wine cooler shelving

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ive recently been talking to some of you about getting a wine cooler for a humidor and how to set one up. some of the pics ive seen show shelves in the cooler made of spanish cedar, which helps the aging process of the cigars. now, having only nc's (and i smoke em about as fast as i get em) should i even attempt putting spanish cedar shelves in, or could i just go with mohogany??
both seem to be usable. one of the main reasons im getting a cooler is temp. not aging. (like i said, none of my sticks last over a month anyway.) or should i just leave the metal racks in the cooler and get some cedar boxes??
any input would be appreciated..

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'd be leary of any wood but spanish cedar (though I'm sure there are plenty that are fine). GO with that if you can get it, otherwise, the wire shelving you can get cut to size at Home Depot works well.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Just put them in boxes since there aren't any worries about them lasting a long time in there. You smokin' fool :wink:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Mine came with nice metal chrome shelves. You don't need Home Depot to make ya any. Just leave those in if you're not real concerned with aging or anything. The cedar isn't just for aging and aroma though, it's also a buffer for RH and it keeps beetles away. Of course, with temp you probably won't have to worry about beetles, and even less if you're smoking fast. I'd get the shelves if it's not expensive or a pain...otherwise leave the chromies in. Just my .02.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
The cutting can be tedious if you try cutting yourself If you go to a lumber shop to cut a whole board, they will charge a shop fee to do so, but worth it if you want them to look perfect. Only reason I ordered the Spanish Cedar is most racks are curved to hold bottles and take up more space. The flat shelves give more room and smell better than a humidor that have almost shaving thick cedar walls.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
The shelves that came with mine were set up for wine bottles, curved. And they were a pain in the ass. Not only for taking up extra space, but for trying to balance boxes. Find flat shelves, chrome, wire, wood, whatever, but I definately recommend flat shelves.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Jwrussell said:
The shelves that came with mine were set up for wine bottles, curved. And they were a pain in the ass. Not only for taking up extra space, but for trying to balance boxes. Find flat shelves, chrome, wire, wood, whatever, but I definately recommend flat shelves.
I found the same thing...the wire that came with mine was a pain in the ass. I went to a specialty wood shop, had them cut and then split the spanish cedar so it made perfect fits for the shelves. I had them cut some for the sides and the back also. I love it! Then I put the cigars in boxes on the shelves.

dmoby

Boli Whore
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
use the shelves it came with and go to barginhumidors and buy some ceder racks that go in humidors.you can fit two racks side by side on one shelf, and each rack will hold 30-40 cigars.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
AZsteelman said:
I found the same thing...the wire that came with mine was a pain in the ass. I went to a specialty wood shop, had them cut and then split the spanish cedar so it made perfect fits for the shelves. I had them cut some for the sides and the back also. I love it! Then I put the cigars in boxes on the shelves.
Thats a great idea. Did you ever post pics of yours?

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
That's weird, I never had a problem with the chrome shelves that came with mine as far as balancing boxes. I thought I would have that problem, but the boxes fit in there pretty nice. I can see the wasting space issue though, as there is alot of dead air below the boxes. Of course, my experience is limited as I didn't have those in long before the cedar shelves were put in.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hey Tom, I've been really busy doing absolutely nothing! I'll take some pics this weekend and post them...I'm proud of this thing!

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just got a wine cooler today for a great price $40. Just doing my grocery shopping and it hit me in the face. Love it and going to get some cedar racks to put in there.

Took out shelves that came with it b/c couldn't fit boxes in with it. Right now just using old cedar boxes.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
AZsteelman said:
Hey Tom, I've been really busy doing absolutely nothing! I'll take some pics this weekend and post them...I'm proud of this thing!
Ain't nothin wrong with that. I was just curious if I missed them or not.....