What's new

Wine Cooler

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well after a lot of hasle and fuss, I got the thing down working like a champ. So I stoped by Home Depot today and bought some oak 1/4" x 8 x 24 and some 1 x 3 x 24 for suports, and I made a shelf for my wine cooler. It came out perfect first time. The shelf slides beauitfully and fits great. It is a simple shelf made out of 2 peices of 1/4" oak board and oad suports on the bottom. Nothing really picture worthy, just a shelf. But anyone see any potential problems with using oak instead of cedar? It's unfinished, clear oak. What are your guy's thoughts?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
But anyone see any potential problems with using oak instead of cedar? It's unfinished, clear oak. What are your guy's thoughts?
Congrats on getting everything worked out!

I'm not sure about the oak, however, why don't you just use Spanish cedar??

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It's is hard to come buy around here. Plus the cost of purchasing and shipping. I just wanted something better than the metal wine rack. It would have costed so me three times what it did to just get the cedar here. I might in time try to go cedar. I just got fed up with the wire rack thing. The project came to less than $20. So nice little evening project.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I know nothing about the oak, but I'm glad the darn thing started working for you. You seemed pretty pissed at it for a while.
Yeah it was about just about to go back to Target. But then it decided to start working right. Well accept for the damn condensation issue along the back wall. But hey that is why god gave us paper towel. I put a peice pack there then change it every 4 or so days.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
Donk,

Have you considered veneer? You can buy a 24'' x 48'' sheet from Rockler.com for 22.99. All you need is some wood glue, some extra blank pieced of wood and alot of clamps for pressure, or if there is a woodshop or cabinet shop neerby, they may put it in a vacuum press for a small fee, but for pieces the size of your shelves, you should be able to get plenty of pressure from clamps.I have veneered several small pieces of wood in zebra wood for a shadow box and it works great and is much more affordable. I just suggest you spread glue evenly with a roller.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
thanks for the site, Yeah it is about 3.5 plus hours. They also look like the do larger orders. Atleast for shipping it has to 30 lbs or more. I will call them on thurs to find out if they ship small quantities.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I guess the real question remains, should my cigars be ok with the oak shelf? Come on you cigar guru's out there. let me hear ya!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Spanish cedar is used for a few purposes. First its slighlty aromatic. Wood imparts a flavor to the cigars. The stronger scented the wood the more it will impact the flavor of yor cigars. Thats why spanish cedar and not other varieties.

Second it absorbs and holds humidity. I am not sure what to oak will impart to your cigars nor the absorbancy of oak. I know its harder and less porus than spanish cedar.

Last, cedar is benefical in keeping bugs out. Tobacco beetles supposedly dislike spanish cedar. Not sure about oak.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well, It's just a shelf, I have mass amounts of cedar sheets and blocks and boxes. So I'm good there. Hopefully the oak shelf will work, after all it is just a shelf.

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
the oak will be just fine for it's purpose, not like you are trying to build a singles drawer.But if one day it bugs you, any mahogany would do. mahogany has about the same properties as SC, without the aroma.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree with sascha in that the oak will be just fine for how you're using it. Just think about it - most guys who have wine coolers don't put any wood in them at all and the only material that is exposed is the plastic interior. The same is true with coolidors that are commonly used. The key is just keeping the cigars in boxes or if you want some of them out (i.e. singles), put a lot of cedar from cigar boxes in the cooler.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Cool, thanks guys, I figured it would be fine. Like I said I have alot of cedar sheets and blocks and boxes. So there is plenty of cedar aroma in the wine cooler.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I would have seen if I could get metal racks and fit them to my humidor. May'be it's just me, but I'm not putting anything in there that I don't see on a regular basis.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I don't think oak will be a problem, as long as its not a solid sheet that would prevent circulation.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
One additional comment Kelly: Spanish cedar and mahogany (SP cedar is from mahogany family) are naturally mold/mildew resistant in addition to holding the RH well without the warping/cracking/expanding issues. I would be more concerned about longterm mold or mildew that could happen to the Oak with constant high RH. You should be fine especially if the Oak is kiln dried and not green, just something to keep an eye on. Congrats on getting the cooler going.