What's new

Wine overload weekend!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
The local wine association (Santa Cruz Mountain Wine Assn.) had some awesome wine events this weekend. The first was the Passport day. Basically this is where all the member wineries have a special tasting day for people who purchase a Passport book. It costs $30 and provides free tastings, including additional wine selections not available to the public and special purchase prices. The Passport does not expire until you have visited all 50+ wineries.

So on Saturday, my wife and I visited five wineries ... Byington, David Bruce, Loma Prieta, Silver Mountain and Zayante. Several of these are very small operations ... producing 2000 cases per year or less. In fact, Loma Prieta is actually still a garage operation, but they make some excellent Merlot and Pinot Noir.

Then today, the SCMWA had a Crab and Wine Taste Off at four different restaurants ... all within about 5 miles of each other. There were 13 participating wineries pouring samples and we were able to taste 4 different crab dishes. Thank God my wife doesn't drink - because by the end of this event I was fairly toasted.

Lots of great wine though .... :bottle:

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Ted, totally different circumstances but a couple years back, a buddy came up to the lounge I go to and brought three bottles of wine. After those three, we went to the liquor store and bought two more, then two more after that. Now granted, there were a few glasses had by other guests at the lounge, but Chris and I did the major damage. This on top of 6 cigars each, in a 12 hour time span, left me damaged. I didn't drink a drop of wine for over a year after that, still can't do much wine other than Porto's. That was a bad night. :wtf:

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I could go for a wine weekend like that. On our trip to San Francisco a few years back we drove up the coast to Napa Valley and hit up some of the wineries. Very nice trip.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Not sure I can go as we are now planning a 3-4 day stay up in Tahoe the prior weekend to celebrate my son's 21st birthday.

Maybe we can meet up at the Hospice du Rhone in May?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Not sure I can go as we are now planning a 3-4 day stay up in Tahoe the prior weekend to celebrate my son's 21st birthday.

Maybe we can meet up at the Hospice du Rhone in May?
I don't drink any more. I live vicariously off my son who is becoming a wine junkie. Oh and Jeff.