What's new

Wineador active and passive humidification

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So far I’m still rocking along. I think I’ve got close to 3 pounds of KL in mind spread throughout 3 aquarium filter bags. I’m on holiday in Iceland and I just checked on my humidor... 66 degrees and 64% humidity!

Hi Harrison,

I am working on setting up something based on your setup. I am using a LARGE Edgestar wineador a friend sold me for a deal with the cedar shelves. 166 bottle to be exact. I will be using an tower setup active humidifier from Bob Staebell at Aristocrat with 2 extra circulation fans on a timer. It's a little small for the estimated 22cu ft (2'x2'x5.5' interior) of the fridge but I dont think thats a problem due to the fridge being able to hold it's humidity. I will also use a few pounds HF beads set on various shelves as "ballast" the humidity. The fridge draws air in the middle and sends it out via 2 fans in the middle of the upper and lower 3rds of the fridge. So far I have the humidifier and 3 sensor tags on order. I still need the manager, hub, plugs and app. Just wondering if you have any thoughts about this or anything you would change after months of use. Thank you much

Clif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edge Star 166 bottle fridge. Shelves were bought by a friend but I think they were made by Forest. He was going to use this and decided to go all the way and bought a large Aristocrat. I put in Staebell's tower humidifier and 3lb's of 65% beads for humidification. Nexlux Lights were $30 on Amazon. 3 Wireless Sensor Tags and the tag manager. Ran the power wires for the humidifier and lights out the drain hole in the back. Used black duct tape to secure the wires. Thats about it. All in all I have about $900 in it(without the cigars LOL). Considering it would take about $2500 to get an Aristocrat I'm pretty happy. My buddy only charged me $400 for the fridge with shelves so that helped a ton.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
@seeharrison thanks for that excellent info. I’ve been curious about setting up fans in my wineador to help circulate/stabilize humidity between drawers, and the setup you posted about seems right up my alley.

My current setup is a NewAir cc100 with two 320g Boveda packs and eight 60g Boveda packs spread throughout the wineador. I’m running the 65% packs, however the humidity readings I’ve been getting are usually 67-69%.
With the small cc-100 I think your fine staying passive. The internal circ fan on mine runs continuously. That’s a ton of packs you got in yours. I only use 4 60g in the summer and 6 in the winter. I keep mine the in the basement with the cooling turned off. Mine stays pegged at 65 using 65 packs excepts for a couple super cold dry months in the winter and it may drop occasionally to 63. I’m sure the more humid basement environment helps me. It’s usually 55-60rh down there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the small cc-100 I think your fine staying passive. The internal circ fan on mine runs continuously. That’s a ton of packs you got in yours. I only use 4 60g in the summer and 6 in the winter. I keep mine the in the basement with the cooling turned off. Mine stays pegged at 65 using 65 packs excepts for a couple super cold dry months in the winter and it may drop occasionally to 63. I’m sure the more humid basement environment helps me. It’s usually 55-60rh down there.

I concur....the small wineadors only need beads or Boveda's or some of both. Thats what I used in my CC-300 64-65RH like a champ!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have a wine cooler that I've used for years and had to deal with fluctuations accordingly but I have used KL to tame the beast when it started to take the numbers up and down. My wife got me the Whynter 251...( cigar humidor that is exclusive to cigars...not a wine cooler appliance but straight up for Cigars ) and this thing is awesome to set up and in 4 days after passive seasoning this thing is DNO...66 degrees temp and 65RH. This thing is literally idiot proof....if or when the RH starts giving me any issues....I will use KL to keep it at the RH I want. So far I keep the plastic reservoir 2/3 fill with DW and no issues at all. The cedar scent from this unit just makes the whole thing great....I have no doubt about the transfer of the cedar scent to my cigars which is one of my biggest goals....that slight taste of cedar like my Anejos.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have never been a fan of active humidification in smaller humidors especially if you don't have cello. I feel like over time it mutes the flavors for me and almost mellows it out from all the movement of air. It's just a preference thing I think though.