What's new

Wineador Fans For Dummies (I'm the dummy)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
why not just let the wino stay plugged in and run as needed to do what its designed to do?
For me... It was too cold. The built in temp controllers are not that accurate so the thing just cooled too much for my liking. This low temp also resulted in a lower and harder to maintain RH. Running it at 69 degrees keeps RH at 65% in my situation.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mine tries to hit 66, that's too low for my liking. So just running it won't work for me. Ambient temp in my place should be fine.

For those that are using the temp controller, how do you calibrate the probe?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Mine tries to hit 66, that's too low for my liking. So just running it won't work for me. Ambient temp in my place should be fine.

Just run it for a month with cigars in it and see what happens. Who knows? It just might be perfect.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I hacked my wino to run at 70, at max temp it was trying to run 58F.

I added a pc fan in there that runs 24/7 and helps spreading RH.

Now I have good conditions all year long.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0

I run an ETC 11100 upstairs and an STC1000 downstairs. They don't require calibration of the temp probe just input the temp settings and you're done.
For both units you basically take an extension cord (a good one not a cheapie lamp cord), cut it in half (not exactly in half but in the proportions to suite your needs) and wire it into the temp controller. You run the probe into the wino (I put mine high up and used an adhesive cleat and a zip tie to secure it), set the temp controller to operate within the range I want and thats it.

A benefit to these temp controllers is memory. The settings get stored onto an EPROM chip so if power ever goes out or flickers enough to reset the wino its not a concern. Once power is restores the wino resets its internal temp to the lowest setting but the temp controller takes over and only sends power to the wino if it needs to cool down.

This was a great option for me because we do lose power at least once a year and on those really windy days our power has been known to flicker or go out for a few minutes at a time. If Im home to reset it all no issue but I travel for work and the wife wouldn't remember to reset the wino. It also gives my OCD brain some relief.

ETC vs STC... ETC is a larger more expensive unit. Ive purchased them on eBay for under $50. The STC is under $20 all day long on eBay. Both are good units but after using both and experiencing an ETC fail on me after a few weeks I have opted to use STCs on both units. (I still haven't replaced the upstairs ETC yet). So why do I like the STC now?...
- its much cheaper so if it fails its not going to hurt the pocket book. Its also cheap enough I can keep a spare.
- it uses Celsius vs Fahrenheit so I have a tighter tolerance for the temp settigns.
- its a smaller unit so its easier to mount and less obtrusive.

How do they work?
They act as a sort of "gate" for power activated by a set temp.
When the temp hits a set parameter it sends power to the wino. The wino cooler runs until it reaches a set temp point then the controller turns power off. The supplied temp probe mounted in the wino reads the temp and sends the signal to the control unit.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Well I screwed that up already. They're already soldered and installed. I'll just let them run with the door open for a few hours tomorrow. No big deal.

I was asking about the temp controller actually, but I found a bunch of threads on it.

I'm thinking of just plugging the wino into another timer and having it fire up for 20 minutes every 2 hours. That ought to work just fine for me as my place is always mid 70's year round. I'm not worried about 75 degrees but wouldn't mind getting some cooling every few hours. Think that's an OK idea?
If you just plug the wine cooler into a timer when it turns on it will go right to the coldest setting and that's what you don't want. What @Zmilin is recommending is your best bet and is what I use on my fridgeador now.

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
If you just plug the wine cooler into a timer when it turns on it will go right to the coldest setting and that's what you don't want. What @Zmilin is recommending is your best bet and is what I use on my fridgeador now.
correct me if i'm wrong but wont Z's wino reset to coldest temp once power is shut off by the ETC/STC ? I understand that the ETC/STC will keep the wino at a certain Temp range that Z has programmed but once it ok's power to cool wont the wino be cooling from the lowest temp setting of the wino. If you just plug wino into a timer and have liberal settings it should cool the wino but not to the lowest set temp of wino? Granted the use of the ETC/STC will keep you in an exact range which is naturally preferred but if funds tight a simple plug in to a timer will keep from hitting those excessive high temps.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
correct me if i'm wrong but wont Z's wino reset to coldest temp once power is shut off by the ETC/STC ? I understand that the ETC/STC will keep the wino at a certain Temp range that Z has programmed but once it ok's power to cool wont the wino be cooling from the lowest temp setting of the wino. If you just plug wino into a timer and have liberal settings it should cool the wino but not to the lowest set temp of wino? Granted the use of the ETC/STC will keep you in an exact range which is naturally preferred but if funds tight a simple plug in to a timer will keep from hitting those excessive high temps.
You are wrong.

well, I didn't actually read what you wrote, I just wanted to write that.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Ara is correct... you are wrong. Well, you're right but your thinking is wrong.

The timer and temp controller do the same thing they just do it different ways. They both cut power to the wino at some point thus causing the wino to reset to lowest temp.
The timer will simply turn it back on and let it run for a set time allowing it to get as cold as it can within that range of time. The issue here is; in winter it will get colder, if its summer it won't get cool enough.
The temp controller only lets it get to a certain temp before it turns on, then lets it get to a certain temp before it shuts off again. What it can't do is heat it up.

In my case the temp controller is set to turn on at 69*, turn off at 70*. You'd think it continuously runs on/off but it doesn't. Once it gets cold enough it won't turn on again for some time unless I open the door or enough time has passed that it has warmed up. Because the wino defaults to the lowest set temp it cools down quickly. Since it doesn't run as much now the air doesn't move around a whole lot. This is where the fans come in handy. They turn on for 12 minutes every hour. The above set up keeps me at a solid temp and RH at top and bottom. (y)(y)(y)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a lot to consider , I know with my wineador if the power goes out it sets at the coldest temp.
Wineador currently has 3 large thermo electric fans considering adding a couple more circulation fans on a programmable timer , also a timer to switch off when it reaches the temp I want and to start up again when it gets to high any recommendations I am not worried about price.