What's new

Wineador Feedback Wanted.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I have a new air 180. I live in south Carolina so the summers here get warm. Normal temps at mid summer are normally 95° F or close to it. I do not have ac of any kind. My wineador has never gotten over 70°. It stayed around 65F most of the time. I use heart felt beads for humidity control, stays at a rock solid 65%. I have home made Spanish cedar drawers. Hope this helps.
I to live in SC, Only difference I use KL, summer time I do have to adjust the temp down in the summer , but the RH stays 65 to 67......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could always store any cigars in a humdior with Boveda packs. That sounds a lot cheaper. Or tupperware.
As for dehumidifiers, well I'd have to have a search.
Also a bar fridge would sound again a bit more pricey. I still don't know how to attach a thermostat so I can set the perfect temperature.
Any suggestions for a thermostat control? How about a dehumidifier?

So I guess I'll go for the wineador setup, a small one to start. Grab some beads, and a bunch of tupperware - sealed kind and some boveda 65% packs and just shove any cigars in them and store them that way.
I'll just test the wineador with no cigars in it and just some beads to see if it can keep a stable 65 - 70% RH to start. If no luck, I'll go straight for the tupperware.

What has me confused was this guy seems to use a big humidifier and didn't mention any over humidification. I'm guessing it is because he has a larger cooler.

Anyway, I'll go with the tupperdore inside the wine cooler and hopefully I wont run into any problem sand my sticks will be fine.
If that doesn't work, then I'll just go for a pre-built humidor with beads/active humidification from air-n-water or something like that.

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
There is a member of another forum that used a data logger to test the use of beads in a wine cooler. The humidity swings when the cooler ran was quite interesting. I do not know the rules of posting to another forum but a google search should bring it up for you. Definitely an interesting read.
I'm not going to get too far involved in this convo. But as a longtime member here and poster...
He (the op) wants a extremely small winodor from the pics he is posting. Using active in this small of space is begging for issues with mold. Especially the cigars close to the cigar oasis.
People on other forums showing wide spread RH swings due to a unit kicking on shows two things. (Maybe 3)
- the rh drop in the unit does not prove anything about the rh in the cigar. If the inside rh recovers quickly. The cigars will be unaffected.
- if the rh drops inside with a thermoelectric it will certainly drop with a condenser unit.
- people tracking rh swings with graphs are smoking too little and worrying too much.
I'd rather freeze my whole cigar collection any day than use active humidity like a cigar oasis in a small inclosed plastic fridge and loose cigars to mold.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to get too far involved in this convo. But as a longtime member here and poster...
He (the op) wants a extremely small winodor from the pics he is posting. Using active in this small of space is begging for issues with mold. Especially the cigars close to the cigar oasis.
People on other forums showing wide spread RH swings due to a unit kicking on shows two things. (Maybe 3)
- the rh drop in the unit does not prove anything about the rh in the cigar. If the inside rh recovers quickly. The cigars will be unaffected.
- if the rh drops inside with a thermoelectric it will certainly drop with a condenser unit.
- people tracking rh swings with graphs are smoking too little and worrying too much.
I'd rather freeze my whole cigar collection any day than use active humidity like a cigar oasis in a small inclosed plastic fridge and loose cigars to mold.
I've decided on beads and/or tupperware inside the cooler.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
100% agree with this. My 28 bottle wineador has about 2lbs of heartfelt beads in it (overkill for this size I know) and has held and kept my cigars at 68-70% for almost 4 years now. Either an Oust fan or a PC fan on a timer to even out the airflow is the only other thing you need.