What's new

Wineador getting worse... HELP!!!!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
PC Fans are easy. No electrician needed. They run in 5V DC, simple two conductor cable off an AC/DC adapter. I haven't built my winedor yet, but have done them for a home theatre cabinet. Drill a small hole in the back of the fridge, cut the connector off, pass the wire into the fridge, and splice them back together. Deal the hole with a bit of silicone. If suggest a lamp timer to turn them on a few minutes every hour.
Cool that is what I wanted to hear. Thanks Bro.
No worries. These guys are where I usually get fans from. http://www.coolerguys.com/allofourcoki.html They have kits that include all the brackets and hardware for a nice clean install.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
After everything you've gone through with this, and assuming you still want to try and use the cooling function, maybe it's time to try some fans to circulate that "pocket" of cold you seem to be dealing with.

Here's an angled front view of the computer fans I found, as well a top view from behind the drawers. These pull air in from the gap below my bottom drawer and shoot it up the back giving a much better use of space than a traditional pass-through computer fan (IMO) and I got them cheap on Amazon.
I only had about a 4%RH variance to begin with, but these evened it out, top to bottom, front to back.
Might be worth a shot for you...
I like those fans! Can you post a link. How difficult was it to tap the power and bring it inside the box? I have access to an electrician at work I just want to know how much time I would be asking of him.

http://amzn.com/B000HRNCJW

The difference between the "computer fans" most guys talk about and these fans is how the air transfer happens.
These "blower" fans push air at 90 degrees from the air inlet, so they can be put tight in the bottom corner of your wineador.
Other fans need space on both sides and you have to sacrifice your layout to adapt.
I ran a cord up through the drain hole so I didn't have any drilling to do, but mine are New-Air 281 models. YMMV.
The fans I bought are 12VDC, and I power them from an old wall-wort type DC power supply. I tend to keep things like that instead of throwing them away, so I had a couple laying around. If you don't have one to use, they're cheap on Amazon or eBay. Really, there is nothing you'd need an electrician for, though. Feel free to reach out to me if you need help once you've got your components and maybe we can work through it together in a public thread so others can follow along!
(Maybe I'll just document my build, too, for good measure :eyebrow: )

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
After everything you've gone through with this, and assuming you still want to try and use the cooling function, maybe it's time to try some fans to circulate that "pocket" of cold you seem to be dealing with.

Here's an angled front view of the computer fans I found, as well a top view from behind the drawers. These pull air in from the gap below my bottom drawer and shoot it up the back giving a much better use of space than a traditional pass-through computer fan (IMO) and I got them cheap on Amazon.
I only had about a 4%RH variance to begin with, but these evened it out, top to bottom, front to back.
I like those fans! Can you post a link. How difficult was it to tap the power and bring it inside the box? I have access to an electrician at work I just want to know how much time I would be asking of him.

The difference between the "computer fans" most guys talk about and these fans is how the air transfer happens.
These "blower" fans push air at 90 degrees from the air inlet, so they can be put tight in the bottom corner of your wineador.
Other fans need space on both sides and you have to sacrifice your layout to adapt.
I ran a cord up through the drain hole so I didn't have any drilling to do, but mine are New-Air 281 models. YMMV.
The fans I bought are 12VDC, and I power them from an old wall-wort type DC power supply. I tend to keep things like that instead of throwing them away, so I had a couple laying around. If you don't have one to use, they're cheap on Amazon or eBay. Really, there is nothing you'd need an electrician for, though. Feel free to reach out to me if you need help once you've got your components and maybe we can work through it together in a public thread so others can follow along!
I believe that is what I would call a squirrel cage type fan. And based on how my shelves fit in my 280 I think they would be superior to 2 fans that take up half the bottom of my wineador. Thanks for the info. Once I get to the wiring part I will definitely be in touch if you do not mind.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Wow. I cant believe all the stuff you guys will do. I wonder; you put ice packs and the temp did not go down. Try again and unplug and see what happens. Viola very expensive coolidor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll look into this. I currently have a fan on the bottom that shoots air up

Yours looks better since I don't have to replace the batteries every month. But problem is that the bottom is not a cold pocket. It's a hot and dry pocket so I need to get the air from the top to the bottom. problem has been that shooting the air from the bottom up to the top hasn't fixed the issue.

I like your design much better though, I'll have to give it a shot

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll look into this. I currently have a fan on the bottom that shoots air up

Yours looks better since I don't have to replace the batteries every month. But problem is that the bottom is not a cold pocket. It's a hot and dry pocket so I need to get the air from the top to the bottom. problem has been that shooting the air from the bottom up to the top hasn't fixed the issue.

I like your design much better though, I'll have to give it a shot[/QUOTE]

What kind of fan is that!! I would totally try a battery power fan first just for simplicity. I was under the impression that the air freshener ones everyone used were off the market. So I did not think that was still an option. Would love to know what brand that is. Is it timed or does it run continuous? I believe the beauty of the air freshener ones is that the ran like 5 minutes an hour or something like that. Would love to try something battery operated first though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fan is that!! I would totally try a battery power fan first just for simplicity. I was under the impression that the air freshener ones everyone used were off the market. So I did not think that was still an option. Would love to know what brand that is. Is it timed or does it run continuous? I believe the beauty of the air freshener ones is that the ran like 5 minutes an hour or something like that. Would love to try something battery operated first though.
That's the Camco 44123 Fridge Airator. There's a bunch of these types, they're RV fridge fans. The only downside on this thing is that it's battery powered so it needs maintenance and they are a little tall depending on your setup you have to either lay it down or move things one rung up. Also, it does do the back wall air moving thing that cgraunke was demonstrating

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you have to splice in resistors to compensate for the amperage? Do I just use the red and black wires of the 4 wires on the fan? I don't want to splice the wrong wires together and short the whole thing out. I ordered the fans today (I'm going to include one more normal fan to sit on top of my condensation collection bowl to help evaporate the water faster as well) and I have some wall warts around to use.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed the rear fan and even an extra computer fan to push air and evaporate the condensation collection bowl. All wired out through another hole I drilled in the back and to a 12V adapter. Let's see if this works.....
fans.jpgfansrear.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!
Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to put the blower fan in the middle as opposed to the top or the bottom?
I have shelves on the bottom 2 rungs. The box runs hottest on the bottom and seems to get least air circulation there as well. I put the intake of the fan just above the top shelf so that it blows down behind the shelves to the bottom. Not sure if that was the best idea yet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been running for 1/2 a day now. The unit won't cool below 68 degrees now. I suspect that it's because I haven't got a timer yet and so with both fans running 24/7 it creates heat. I unplugged the power to the fans and it dropped from 70 to 65 in 10 minutes and it's still falling. So either option #1 the fans are generating too much heat or #2 the side fan (which seems to be more powerful than the unit's fan) is disrupting the airflow too much and..... well it's probably the first option....

If the fans are heating up the box then I'll need a timer which means the bottom fan I'm trying to use to evaporate the water won't be very effective. The saga continues

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been running for 1/2 a day now. The unit won't cool below 68 degrees now. I suspect that it's because I haven't got a timer yet and so with both fans running 24/7 it creates heat. I unplugged the power to the fans and it dropped from 70 to 65 in 10 minutes and it's still falling. So either option #1 the fans are generating too much heat or #2 the side fan (which seems to be more powerful than the unit's fan) is disrupting the airflow too much and..... well it's probably the first option....

If the fans are heating up the box then I'll need a timer which means the bottom fan I'm trying to use to evaporate the water won't be very effective. The saga continues
If your fans are heating up the box that much you need different fans. I have a single 120mm fan in the bottom that runs 24x7. My cooler is 66F and runs very little.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SUCCESS?!!!!?!?!

I might have just not been patient enough. It's been almost 2 days now. It's stable at 65-66 degrees when the box thinks it's 60-61 degrees (where it's set) and humidity is at 64% measured front the top and bottom (I have 2 lbs of heartfelt 65% beads and 2 loose large boveda 65% as well as 4 boveda 65% zip locked in with various boxes. I've been leaving the extra fans plugged in during the day and unplugging them at night. I'll have to order a timer of some sort

Can anyone recommend a timer that turns on for like 10 minutes every hour? All the ones that I've seen are programable but only allow up to like 8 on/offs a day.