What's new

Wineador ideas/suggestions?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought a cheap, $150, wine cooler a few months back. I put all of my cigars in boxes and then put them on the wire racks. I could not keep the RH consistent at all. I am in the process of replacing the wire racks with plexiglass shelves and I have some plastic storage bins for holding my cigars. I do have a friend building me one custom cedar shelf for storing my better cigars but that is it. My hope is that after getting the one cedar shelf seasoned I will be able to keep a more consistent RH.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You need to make sure the storage bins have a weather seal to make them stand alone "humidity chambers". A cedar shelf exposed to the wine cooler environment will not help. Have him build or buy online some trays to fit inside the weather sealed Tupperware with Bovedas will be effective.

Plexiglass shelves will save some space and look pretty cool.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Now I'm second guessing thermoelectric. There are times the house temperature gets up to 80 degrees, especially when we aren't home. If they're only really good for cooling within 10 degrees of ambient...that's a problem.

Lol, it's looking more and more like my tupperdors in a compressor wine fridge might be where things stay. :cautious:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Mine holds pretty consistent 64 degrees but I keep my cigar room in the mid 70s and have a fan blowing air over the heat dissipation fins in the back.

For the size of a wine fridge how large is a mini fridge? 4.4 cu Ft for $200 at Lowes You'll still need an Inkbird to control temp

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Now I'm second guessing thermoelectric. There are times the house temperature gets up to 80 degrees, especially when we aren't home. If they're only really good for cooling within 10 degrees of ambient...that's a problem.

Lol, it's looking more and more like my tupperdors in a compressor wine fridge might be where things stay. :cautious:
Just find a way to better regulate the temp swings and you’ll be golden.

I’m actually looking into buying a new manual-defrost freezer, adding an ETC and aquarium heaters, and putting my entire stash in sealed containers in there. Will allow for a temp controlled environment and then humidity-controlled storage inside that environment.

It’s actually a lot like cigars. A lot of guys go Gurkha> Altadis/General> Boutique> Habanos.

Same thing sort of happens with storage. A lot of guys go Cheap Desktop> Tupperdore> Wineador> Separation of temp and humidity control.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Season it. Your sticks are currently in a good situation… no need to throw them in an environment where they’re competing for moisture.

Let the new storage unit get seasoned and stable, then put your sticks in

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Season it. Your sticks are currently in a good situation… no need to throw them in an environment where they’re competing for moisture.

Let the new storage unit get seasoned and stable, then put your sticks in
Will do then! I shall utilize the distilled water tray until I gets up to 65...then put in the Bovedas and wait for it to steady...then add the sticks last. Thanks! Looking forward to the end of babysitting three different tupperdors and their respective craziness.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here she is, y'all! Going to mess around with seasoning next week. Got some big Bovedas coming, along with an 84%er to help the process. Thanks for the guidance! In a year and a half I have gone from one 80 degree tupperdor, to a wine fridge with three tupperdors, to this 300 stick unit.

And I noticed the Naturdays in the pic...I'm just too shameless to give a damn. :D

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
mist a little distilled water on the wood and get a head start or at least a bowl or two of DW

Bazillions

Cheeba Hawk
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start immediately!!!

Just get three new sponges, generously moisten them with DISTILLED WATER only, place them on a paper plate on the bottom, middle, and top, and let them sit. Once your hygrometer has been at 75%+ for a few days, take the sponges out and add your sticks and Bovedas. That might be overkill for a coolador, but that's what worked with my Lauderdale.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes!! Got the Bovedas and all my sticks in there! I'm so stoked! Got one more empty box coming in the mail to help with storage but man, look at all that room! :D :cool:

PLUS...now I can use the wine fridge for just wine and I don't have to keep it at 65 damn degrees.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0