What's new

Wineador sealing problem. Help!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
image.jpg image.jpg So I got a newair aw-281e new on craiglist for $110. Found it has a small dent in the corner of the front frame (glare in picture actually makes it looks worse than it is). Not sure if I did that jamming it into my car or if it was like that already, but regardless it works fine and is otherwise in perfect condition. The dent results in a poor seal that leaves a small gap between the door and frame as shown in the picture take from above the unit. I'm trying to think of ways to fix this issue. I tried to bend it back out, but didn't commit 100% effort since I started to scratch the paint off.
Do you think there will be a humidity issue with the gap? I dont' care much about temperature control and may even keep the unit off most of the time because it will be in my basement that never gets over 66 or so.

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You could try filling the dent with some clear silicone. The dent will be hidden when the door is closed, so don be afraid to scratch the paint a little. You can always touch it up. To answer your question, test it to see if it will hold humidity, or needs some sort of repair. By the way, congrats.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The dent will be hidden when the door is closed, so don be afraid to scratch the paint a little. You can always touch it up.
Thanks for the advice Aaron regarding the silicone. When I tried to pry it out I ended up chipping the very outside corner when using the screw driver as a "lever" when it rubbed the corner. This is visible, but as you say, I guess I could touch it up a bit.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't fret the cosmetics. Are you concerned about the gasket seal? If so, try the $bill test. Other'n that, Aaron is right; fill it with cedar boxes and Exquisacat litter and see what it does. Nice P/U, good luck!(y)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Don't fret the cosmetics. Are you concerned about the gasket seal? If so, try the $bill test. Other'n that, Aaron is right; fill it with cedar boxes and Exquisacat litter and see what it does. Nice P/U, good luck!(y)
Ya not too concerned with cosmetics. The gap is noticeable and let's light throw easy around the corner and down the top part from the corner.Definitely would fail the dollar bill test. Maybe I'll just see how it holds humidity before I start stressing.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ya not too concerned with cosmetics. The gap is noticeable and let's light throw easy around the corner and down the top part from the corner.Definitely would fail the dollar bill test. Maybe I'll just see how it holds humidity before I start stressing.
No stress needed. I've used clear silicone with great success!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fan will blow humidity right out that hole. Would strongly recommend sealing somehow.