What's new

Wineador seasoning

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Whynter 2.5 cubic ft wineador the other day and wanted to get it seasoned right away so I could move my current coolidor contents into it and let it settle before I received my incoming 6 box order next week. I wiped down the shelves and drawers with distilled water (I know some people are afraid of it warping but I'm not) and put in 3 dishes with 3 sponges soaked in H2O on the top, middle, and bottom. I put 2 hygrometers in and plugged the wineador in at 65 degrees. It shot up from ~50%RH to 75% fairly quickly. About 8 hours later it was 75%, the next morning it was still 75%, and finally a little less than 24 hours later it was still at 75%. I checked the sponges and they had dried out a bit but still had some water left in them and I took them out. I guess I was just excited to get some cigars in there so I figured that holding at 75% for as long as it did meant it was ready even though it hadn't been the 1, 2, 4, 14 days (depending on where you read it) that the internet says to let a humidor sit to season.

So my question is 2 fold. #1 Does this sound adequate for the seasoning process? and #2 If it isn't, I've been monitoring the levels and they seem to be holding steady using Heartfelt beads (1 lb spread out in 3 locations), will the shelves of an improperly seasoned humidor eventually season itself without damaging cigars if it's continually humidified and the humidity level is steady?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
It is basically a sealed environment. The wood would have seasoned fast without wiping down. I think you are too high and you cigars are going to suck up all that water and swell. Put the beads in and wait till it drops to 65% to 68% then put in cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is basically a sealed environment. The wood would have seasoned fast without wiping down. I think you are too high and you cigars are going to suck up all that water and swell. Put the beads in and wait till it drops to 65% to 68% then put in cigars.
Well once I opened the door it let the humidity out, I put in my cigars with the beads and it dropped right down to 62-65% top vs middle and has held there. I'm mostly just wondering if it could have possibly seasoned that quickly properly. Maybe the amount I wiped the shelves with was just perfect ;-)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long it takes is 100% on how much moisture you have when you start. Not all humidors need to go through a seasoning process. Ive had them take the better part of two weeks then had others that I had to get the humidity to come down because it was already past 70% when I got it.