What's new

Wineador smell

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read through the sticky post Wineador 101 and didn't see exactly what I'm looking for. I've had my vinotemp for about a week. Wiped it down with baking soda solution multiple times, aired it out, stuffed it with newspaper but when I close the door and run the unit a smell builds up inside. It's not the plasticy new smell, but it's distinct. It may be the new motor smell someone mentioned, but any tips on getting rid of it, or the bigger question, will it go away/does it matter? Thanks.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
It depends on the source of the smell, if it is something like the "plastic" smell, then I would just put a few plates of activated charcoal in there for a week to help remove the odor. If it is very faint afterwards it should go away completely when you fill it and the cedar and cigars should be the prominent smell (assuming you fill it with cedar and cigars :) )

If it is something specific, which I don't know what that would be, then without removing the source I would expect it to stay. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Don't know if it helped but I went the newspaper route, and after that I stuck a bunch of baking soda in a Tupperware container in the bottom and let it run for a few days.
I've also seen people say leaving it open outside in the sun helps, but it can melt the plastic inside so be careful!

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I tried newspaper and baking soda and vinegar. Didn't work real well for me. I used as many cigar boxes as I could find and that seemed to do the trick.

KK33

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Go to one of the pet stores, Petsmart, etc. Go to the fish/aquarium lane. The have a container for charcoal. Buy one and take it home, it's like $15. Open the container, add an inch or two into a small dish and put this into to your cooler. After about 2 weeks, you'll be fine.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, if the smell is only there when you "run" the unit, stands to reason it's in the motor or somewhere in the air circulation, not the main portion. Charcoal will absorb it but it will return once coal is saturated.
Maybe spirtz a bleach or vinegar solution into all the ducts, would be hesitant to use febreeze or anything like that as you may replace one odor with another.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Thanks to everyone for the advice. the activated charcoal worked. I placed a few containers with some charcoal in the unit and left it running. It took about a week, like taz mentioned, but all is good now.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I aired mine out for 3 months b/c it was how long it took for drawers to come in! Worked like a charm! Used windex to wipe it out a week b4 the drawers. Then seasoned them. No worries now!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had major trouble getting the plastic smell out. Running it seems to make it worst. Done vinegar a few time with it running for a solid 2 days, wiped it down with a baking soda paste and left that for a few days before wiping out. Always the smell returns once it’s closed back up after a day.

Sounds like charcoal will get it close enough for humidifying and then adding loose cigars (layers separated by Spanish cedar sheets) /cedar boxes to fill it up?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the cedar boxes are your best bet now that its clean
makes sense. I’m being extremely paranoid and trying to get all the plastic smell out first. My concern is that although the cedar will overpower the plastic smell, the plastic smell will subtlety remain and potentially have a subtle impact on the cigars aging. Charcoal in for 4 days now. Giving it a couple weeks hoping that does the trick.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few initial cleanings with vinegar, a couple weeks of charcoal treatment, and a day of having it open with a box fan sucking it’s air out seems to have killed 90% of the smell. That last 10% doesn’t seem possible to remove. So now moving forward with the seasoning.