What's new

Wineador without power - HELP!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
So, I can skip all the fun details... but it looks like our power is getting shut off tomorrow due to my landlord dodging the bills. It might be short term, it might be until the end our lease (end of August).
Either way, this place is going to heat up FAST once power is gone.

is there anything I can do to prevent the temp from sky-rocketing in my wineador? Should I even be worried, or is it a stable enough environment that it will buy me a few days/weeks?

Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Buy a GIANT cooler and put blocks of ice in it and put your wineador right in the middle.

We're just spit ballin here it's not all gonna be gold

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Find a trustworthy friend who will let you plug it in for a few weeks. It won't use that much power, but keeping it in an unconditioned place in the summer is pushing your luck IMO.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Sadly, that's not really an option.

I wouldn't trust my friends here with a pet rock. If I'm moving it anywhere, it will be the long haul home to Wisconsin.

Should that be the case... follow up question is: Has anybody packed up their humidor for moving? Last time, I tried to just move it very carefully... but quite a few sticks got damaged. Wondering if I should put them all in baggies first.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Uh find a new apartment, you are going to just stay there with no power and it's not your fault, I am pretty sure that right there breaks your obligation to the landlord as far as a lease goes. :wtf:

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Wouldn't him not providing you power break your lease agreement. If you signed a contract with utilities included in rent and the power is shut off then he is not holding up to his end of the contract.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Jaricon

AKA Jeri-Curl
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hard call if you cant get it put somewhere to keep the temp down. I know some who have stored for years without incidence due to heat but its a risk. As for your power I would check with town hall/BBB or any other landlord/tanenant agency for the exact laws in your area as there is most likely some legal recourse for example here is an article for Illinois (a little old but working for a landlord I can say there is not usually change that quickly)
http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=7723

In that example you could have the power turned on in your name, not pay rent for the days without power and even deduct losses from not having power such as spoiled food and a sudden voracious beetle outbreak that consumed your entire well inventoried stash.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Even if the lease is broken, that just means he is no longer obligated to pay the rent. He still needs a place to live as well as a place with electricity to plug in his winedor.

I'm sure one of the other MN brothers would be more than happy to help you out. Maybe Mickeymorris or Fuente smoker? You are welcome to bring it to my house however I am probably a little bit farther away than you would like.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Not a great solution.. But if you get desperate.. Put the stash in a couple of large flat rates and ship them here... I've got room and will keep them at 70/65 for however long you need...When you get into a place with utilities, shoot me the addy and ill ship back to you...

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
Not sure about Minnesota, but here in NY the electric can't be shut off during a heat wave or snow storm. If you were planning on paying the rent and have the dough, see if you can find a month to month quickly. I bought a new house recently and moved my wineador. My wife claims its the only thing that got moved with care. I ain't gonna lie to ya, it was a bitch. If you have time, secure them in bags or boxes. Good luck to you. If ya wanna come to NY I've got an empty condo until October.lol. Kinda far commute.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thanks guys. We're scrambling to find out what our options are legally.

Just trying to find a way to protect my smokes.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Knowing the laws north of the boarder your obligation of payment for rent is no longer needing to be fulfilled as he has failed to meet your contract.

There are a few steps you can take such as buy a small generator from Walmart for the car that you can plug into. This is temp and you will most likely need 2. Bring it to work and recharge it. This way you can keep the temp down and still have some power.

If the laws are like ours you will have power within the week as the government will take possession on the property and provide you guys with his end of the contract and you will receive notice.

Sent from my Tapatalk 2 using iPhone. Bahahahaha ass backwards.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Dont know if this is a solution for you or not... but...

Ive got a cabin out in the middle of nowhere.. no city power, etc...

We use portable solar...

Im not sure if you can find a unit powerful enough to run a wineador that is affordable...

but we have about $200 total wrapped up in our little unit.. and we can run a couple of lightbulbs all day long... charge our laptops and cell phones.. as well as recharge flashlight batteries and other things (its more than enough to run a rustic cabin in the woods)..

It doesnt generate enough juice to run a hair dryer or a circular saw or anything..

but it might keep enough juice in the battery pack to run a small fridge motor for 2-3 minutes at a time....

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Knowing the laws north of the boarder your obligation of payment for rent is no longer needing to be fulfilled as he has failed to meet your contract.

There are a few steps you can take such as buy a small generator from Walmart for the car that you can plug into. This is temp and you will most likely need 2. Bring it to work and recharge it. This way you can keep the temp down and still have some power.

If the laws are like ours you will have power within the week as the government will take possession on the property and provide you guys with his end of the contract and you will receive notice.

Sent from my Tapatalk 2 using iPhone. Bahahahaha ass backwards.
I'm waiting to hear back from the University's student legal services. I'm hoping there's a way we can get the company to leave the power on without us taking over the bills.

Are there any weekly rentable hotel type places? Not sure if they use cleaning staff or not?
There are, but they are expensive. Not something I can afford.

Dont know if this is a solution for you or not... but...

Ive got a cabin out in the middle of nowhere.. no city power, etc...

We use portable solar...

Im not sure if you can find a unit powerful enough to run a wineador that is affordable...

but we have about $200 total wrapped up in our little unit.. and we can run a couple of lightbulbs all day long... charge our laptops and cell phones.. as well as recharge flashlight batteries and other things (its more than enough to run a rustic cabin in the woods)..

It doesnt generate enough juice to run a hair dryer or a circular saw or anything..

but it might keep enough juice in the battery pack to run a small fridge motor for 2-3 minutes at a time....
I might have to look into that. Though I'm assuming it will be expensive and out of my budget.

Thanks guys.

Not related to this topic, but didn't want to necropost my old thread: Just received my refund from Chasidor today. 6 whole months after placing my order. The Ohio BBB did a good job :thumbsup:

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Snag a generator? I'd drive it somewhere safe, even if its to your parents. My vino rides in the camper that I tow all over the country. I keep my smokes in 5 finger bags, and never any damage issues. It's a ROUGH ride back there, any car ride would be better.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Didn't read through the whole thread so I apologize if it was already mentioned, but have you thought about renting a small storage unit that is in a temperature controlled building until you move? Might not be able to power your Wineador, but it will be in the ac so it shouldn't get hot

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
After an exhausting day of dealing with landlords, lawyers, and the energy company... the issue seems to be resolved. Power is still on as of 6:30pm my time... I'm not expecting it to be shut off late at night.

Thanks for the help guys.