What's new

Winodors "thermoelectric vs compressor"

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello guys,

I am looking to buy a wine fridge to keep my rare/vintage cigars (for aging purposes).

I have been doing my rounds\research regarding the matter and found that people prefer thermoelectric apposed to compressor "regular" fridges in terms of keeping humidity. And here lays my problem, the only wine cooler/fridges available here are the compressor types. Should I ditch my plans or will using "compressor types" do a sufficient job ?

cheers

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
I dont think you can control RH in a traditional fridge... One of the things many are designed to do is remove moisture. Think "frost free" that means "moisture free". I do know that it's not reccommended to use a compressor model.

Sadly, I'd have to encourage you to keep questing after a thermoelectric model.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
You can find thermoelectic scratch and dent models on ebay for very good prices if you hunt around a bit. Just make sure to read the description to make sure it is thermoelectric before bidding/buying, and also check shipping cost (some are free shipping).

You do not want to get a compressor model because the compressor will suck all the humidty out of the air whenever the unit runs and also run into problems with condensation inside.

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
jbubs, don't forget his location....

i have to agree with mav, controlling RH could be next to impossible with a compressor, i'll do some research on some options!

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you guys for the tips

Olson, I appreciate the links, but I have no clue of what to do with them to be honest. I guess it involves gutting the fridge and extracting the compressor unit and so on. It's to much of a hassle. I guess I'll go for a coolidor "nothing fancy" and place it in the coolest room in the house.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
There are still sites that have edgestars or avanti or vinotemp TH EL units. Dennis(Dmrpa) posted a link yesterday to a site w free shipping/179.00 and another place appliancedirect. com has my edgestar with a wood outside exterior still for 250 w free shipping. (orig 500.00)
Moe sorry its early yeah the shipping may be hard to come by.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 2 Haier compressor wine-adors for over 6 yrs with no problems. The RH does swing when the compressor runs but it's temporary. I keep my most of my sticks in the original boxes which dampens any humidity spikes, and use beads for humidity control. One of the Haiers is a tall unit so I run computer fans to keep the humidity flowing and even as possible and place my bead containers at various levels.
But, I did order one of the Avanti thermo's that are on sale at Target to play with and compare. My smaller Haier is making some noise lately, so it's time to replace it before summer arrives.
So, I'd go for the thermo over the compressor if you can.....but either will work fine.

Cheers

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just saw a couple of compressor units at my local Home Depot. Think I will keep looking for a thermoelectric or just keep my humis and cooler.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i have been using one of the compressor vinotemp units and it works great they are designed to keep RH at around 70%. lots of wood on the inside that will help to keep the humidity constant plus it does not drain condensation to the oputside like a normal fridge. its about 20 cubic feet and ran me $75 on craigslist. I do run a computer fan inside.

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you guys for the valuable tips. I guess that I'll go for one with a compressor since the swings are temporary.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very useful conversation i may go for on too. i found some good priced ones at the mall a day ago so i'll go and have a look.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent alot of time and thought in how to reg. RH after alot of failures, I went with the easy solution and it works like a charm temp and RH constant. Air tight containers, was the easiest and most accurate solution to my problem. Now my wine cooler has a purpose in life, and my smokes are in a perfect place. Give this a try brothers.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I spent alot of time and thought in how to reg. RH after alot of failures, I went with the easy solution and it works like a charm temp and RH constant. Air tight containers, was the easiest and most accurate solution to my problem. Now my wine cooler has a purpose in life, and my smokes are in a perfect place. Give this a try brothers.

Be sure you are cracking those air tight containers at lease once a week to get fresh air in there. Also how are you getting the proper humidity to the cigars with airtight containers?