What's new

Wireless network protection

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I'd like to add a password for anyone trying to use my wireless LAN. I have a Linksys WRT54G as my main router set up at one side of the house. I have a Buffalo Air Station WBR-G54 at the other side of the house connected to the Linksys as a switch/access pt. Everything thing works great but I'd like to secure it. I'd rather not have to deal with mac adresses because my kids have friends over and they inevitably bring their gear.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I'd like to add a password for anyone trying to use my wireless LAN. I have a Linksys WRT54G as my main router set up at one side of the house. I have a Buffalo Air Station WBR-G54 at the other side of the house connected to the Linksys as a switch/access pt. Everything thing works great but I'd like to secure it. I'd rather not have to deal with mac adresses because my kids have friends over and they inevitably bring their gear.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
Couldn't you just encrypt the network and let everyone know what the encryption password is??

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
:dunno: Got me? That's why I'm asking! :stickbeat

BTW, your package has gone out.
I believe that is all you need to do, set the encryption password in your router and when they try to log in to your network it will ask for the password. With mine however once you enter the password it changes it to a number that has to be entered.

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Start with a password on your hardware so no one can change the settings, change the channel from the default channel. For encryption WPA2, reduce your power so people can't use it from outside your house, and set it so it doesn't display your network name. I do mac address filtering on top of it but that should be more than enough.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I just set up a 10 digit password on the router, and away I went. Should be relatively easy for you to set up.
I did the same thing wit a password on the router
My ? is with 2 routers are they both talking to the same CPU or is one router talking to the CPU and then talking to the other router....Just a ?

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
you have a modem, and then to distribute that to more than one computer you have a router. So more than one computer can use the same router.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I did the same thing wit a password on the router
My ? is with 2 routers are they both talking to the same CPU or is one router talking to the CPU and then talking to the other router....Just a ?
Are you asking about his setup(Strife's) or a different setup??

BradMc

Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Are you asking about his setup(Strife's) or a different setup??
Just a ?, if there is two routers are they both talking to the CPU, or is router # one talking to CPU and is router # 2 talking to router #1 .....

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Just a ?, if there is two routers are they both talking to the CPU, or is router # one talking to CPU and is router # 2 talking to router #1 .....
In Strife's case he is using the second router as an access point, so it is talking to the router pluged directly in to his computer(I would assume). Example, at work we had a wireless router far away from my office and the signal was weak. So I ran a 200 foot cable to my office and hooked up a second router as an access point and branched off to 4 computers hardwired and several remote units.

Never heard of anyone having two routers hooked up to a computer directly.

BradMc

Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Not that I know anything about this, But that is Y I was asking, Never heard of anyone having two routers hooked up to a computer directly.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
In Strife's case he is using the second router as an access point, so it is talking to the router pluged directly in to his computer(I would assume). Example, at work we had a wireless router far away from my office and the signal was weak. So I ran a 200 foot cable to my office and hooked up a second router as an access point and branched off to 4 computers hardwired and several remote units.

Never heard of anyone having two routers hooked up to a computer directly.
Yeah, what Craig said. The signal was too weak on the north side of the house so I connected the Buffalo to one of the Linksys LAN ports and changed the switch setting to use it as a switch/wireless access point. So my network goes: modem -> Linksys router ->3 computers and the Buffalo ->3 more computers. I needed the expanded wireless because the signal is so weak now that everyone and everything is clogging the airwaves! Between the wireless phones and all of the neighbors running highspeed wireless the signal deteriorated.

Unfortunately unless I upgrade to Wireless N I'm kinda stuck with WEP protection. I'm not really concerned with hackers, just the random interlopers using my IP and slowing me down.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Yeah, what Craig said. The signal was too weak on the north side of the house so I connected the Buffalo to one of the Linksys LAN ports and changed the switch setting to use it as a switch/wireless access point. So my network goes: modem -> Linksys router ->3 computers and the Buffalo ->3 more computers. I needed the expanded wireless because the signal is so weak now that everyone and everything is clogging the airwaves! Between the wireless phones and all of the neighbors running highspeed wireless the signal deteriorated.

Unfortunately unless I upgrade to Wireless N I'm kinda stuck with WEP protection. I'm not really concerned with hackers, just the random interlopers using my IP and slowing me down.
As long as you have set a password for logging in to your router you should be good. I wouldn't worry to much about people "hacking in". If like me, there are 6-7 networks in the area that the hackers can get in to easier than yours.