What's new

Wireless Remote Hygrometers

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
coming soon. similar to the OSI and Radio Shacks. Has a home display unit plus up to 3 wireless remote sensors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks-New to this list. I'm a long-time cigar smoker who has always spent a lot on premium cigars and as little as possible on humification. I've now seen the light and installed an Oasis in my desktops. I now would like a remote hygrometer. I assumed that finding a reasonably accurate wireless device would be easy. However, a relentless "search" through multiple sites reveals that the consensus that they all are inferior, being off by 5-10% on average. The most positive comments were for the Oregon Scientific (don't know the model #) and Radio Shack. However, it seems that the Radio Shack version is or was a rebranded Oregon Scientific model. (I did finally find an instrument for medical supply monitoring that claimed a relative RH accuracy of +/- 1, but it ran about $130.00!)

I've seen no recent posts on this subject anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a model, offer advice, etc.

Thanks-
js

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ron-Just to be clear, despite your post of several years ago (reproduced below), you never did end up stocking this item, correct? (Don't see it on your site).....

"Wireless Remote Hygrometers
coming soon. similar to the OSI and Radio Shacks. Has a home display unit plus up to 3 wireless remote sensors."

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
no, they were very poor quality. I would go with the OS brand. they might not be accurate, but they are consistant. you can calibrate them with a boveda, and just write the difference on a piece of white tape. put the tape on the home unit. also, do a very long calibration (3 days) because they are very slow to react.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
It would be awesome to find a unit that just had what we cigar guys need. I really dislike having to use a GIANT home unit with clock, weather predictions, moon cycles, etc.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I am using a setup from La Crosse Technologies, but they are not adjustable either. Base unit with 3 sensors. They ranged from 1-4pts off when calibrated.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I bought a year ago, but want to say around $60 with the extra 2 sensors.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-WS-9023U-Wireless-Weather/dp/B000EM9DFC/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1300944783&sr=8-32"]Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology WS-9023U Wireless Weather Station with Digital Time: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T9MY4ZZFL.@@AMEPARAM@@41T9MY4ZZFL[/ame]

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm still using the one I picked up years ago. Don't remember the brand, but it was either Oregon Scientific or something from Radio Shack...I had two at one point. Works fine, and on my last calibration two of them were spot on with one being 3-4 points high. I love them for being able to quickly check on my storage without having to go in and start opening things up, but I HATE having to remember, "oh yeah, that's unit 2, it's 3-4 points high, so that's really....66%, not 70%, OK, I'm good". It's not like it's a huge deal, it just annoys me. If someone would come out with a compact remote unit that was self-adjustable I think they'd sell a ton to the cigar world.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I bought Meade version of the Honeywell TM005X from Amazon. The base unit comes with 1 remote sensor and I purchased 2 additional remotes to test and keep the most accurate one. 2 days of testing and all 4 sensors (base unit also takes readings) are at 75% so I ended up keeping all 3 remotes. I paid $65 including shipping.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Has anyone looked at this?

http://www.monnit.com/products/wireless-sensors/humidity.php

+/- 2% scientific grade sensor....not bad really.
Looks very cool, but I see some issues for our application. The battery appears to be (from the wording I saw) built in and non-user replaceable (can't tell for sure by their documentation). It's life depends on how often the unit is transmitting and I assume most would want it pumping out a signal on a regular basis. They only say the life of the sensor is 1-3 years, though they give the battery 2-4 years at a "one hour heartbeat setting", whatever that is. So all in all, life isn't HORRIBLE, but still, I don't like the concept of having to replace the unit when the battery dies.

Next is the cost. $70 for the sensor is a bit steep, but doable for me...again, only if the battery is user-replaceable. Otherwise, that's just too expensive for me. Then there's the wireless gateway dongle which will run you $100. It doesn't look like they are hitting you up for any cash for the software and you have the option to use an online version which is all good, but to be honest, I don't want to HAVE to go online just to see what the RH is doing. I would want some kind of base station that I could check with just a glance.

Then there is the fact that the sensor ONLY measures RH, not temperature.

It's a great little piece of tech, but really not suited well for our use, IMHO.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm not sold on having to check temperature since if you're not running a "cooled" unit you really don't have much you can do about it other than turn the AC up in your house/condo/apt. Yes, you'll see you're at 76 degrees and start freaking about beetles, but if your humidor is 76 degrees then your house is probably close to that as well. Regulate your house and your humidor will follow. :) I keep my house around 69 in the summer and my humidor is spot on, right now my house is 71 and my humi (checking)...is 70.

I agree, if the battery isn't user replaceable then it's a bit steep. The heartbeat is how often it sends signal back to the dongle, so once an hour is enough IMO. Since it runs either on Web or the software it would be fairly easy to create an app that displays it on your monitor like any other windows gadget. Yes, easy is a relative term. :)

Just thought I'd point it out, but in all honesty, the cheap little digital sensors we all run now are no more accurate and the last two I bought won't even calibrate...one was the one I bought w/ my beads. Put it in the baggie, wait a day, turn the dial to adjust and nothing happens. So I marked that it's 2% off and live w/ it. :/

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That's strange. I've never had one not calibrate. I did have one just die on me. Just poof, went kaput, no warning. Couldn't tell if it was one of the newer ones or one I've had for years so I just tossed it. I keep enough around.

As temp affects RH, I like to know what's going on with it, but I can see that some might not need the info. As to the widget on your computer...uh, yeah, easy's a relative term, lol. And again, I don't want to have to open up my laptop to check, and buying a netbook or small tablet just to sit on top of my humidor would put this WAYYYYYYYYY out of the reasonable price range. :wink:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
... and the last two I bought won't even calibrate...one was the one I bought w/ my beads. Put it in the baggie, wait a day, turn the dial to adjust and nothing happens. So I marked that it's 2% off and live w/ it...
The HygroSet hygrometers have a little button in addition to the calibration knob. You turn the knob and then have to press the little "set" button. Then you test (and adjust) again until the reading is where it should be.