What's new

Wireless Router

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
What a PITA :hammersma I can't connect to the internet even though when I unplug the line that goes from the modem and hook it directly to my computer, I can connect. Never thought it'd be this frustrating to get wireless internet. May'be I'm confused of what to put in when it asks for the internet connect type, DHCP, etc. :dunno:

Linksys WRT54G

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with a Netgear router. Try the manufacturer's help forums. Other people have had just the same problem and they explain what to do :)

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Prometheus said:
Call Linksys, they have GREAT tech support & it is free. They helped me with mine.
I did that and got some foreign girl I could faintly understand through her english. I'm connecting off of another router. Basically the LAN line that goes to my computer is being plugged into the router and then the blue wire goes from port 1 back to my computer. All the lights come on, WLAN, Ethernet 1, and internet. Just weird! :scratchhe :fencing:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That is the problem, 2 routers. You have to turn one into a switch box. I had the same gig. One for VoIP, and the other for wireless connect. Had to turn the wireless into a dumb unit. It just passes thru now. Try calling back, you'll probably get someone different.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Yup...It was actually picking up the signal but connect. I'll fug around with it some more today if I have time.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
cvm4 said:
I did that and got some foreign girl I could faintly understand through her english. I'm connecting off of another router. Basically the LAN line that goes to my computer is being plugged into the router and then the blue wire goes from port 1 back to my computer. All the lights come on, WLAN, Ethernet 1, and internet. Just weird! :scratchhe :fencing:
WLAN = Wireless obviously, should always be on
Ethernet 1 = Must be your PC?
Internet = This goes to another router, or directly to the modem?

If you have a line going from another router to the wireless this might be the issue. Try connecting that line to Ethernet 2 instead. IF you do NOT have a router already and are hooking your wireless directly to the modem then DONT swap ports since that would bypass your firewall and only allow one PC to connect (likely, it depends on how your ISP is setup).

I'm probably forgetting somethign else I was thinking of but its late... I'll see what your response is.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Right...I'm thinking it's the original router too. I'm taking the wire that originally went from the router to my PC and plugged that into the internet slot on the back of the wireless router. Then I take another wire and plug that into the back of my PC and then plug it into 1 of the 4 ports. Seems simple but damn I'm getting frustrated. I jacked around with it on Sunday but no luck. Been to busy to actually call back customer service. Keep in mind that my computer is not the original computer with the cable modem and the original router hooked up to it.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Call linksys, you have the same set up issues I had. You have to change settings in your wireless so it is just a switch (that allows the signal to pass thru) other wise it blocks the signal from going to the router. Also the router plugs into the wireless at the Uplink slot. They walked me thru it and it only took about 15 minutes. Just let them know you have 2 routers.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Prometheus said:
Call linksys, you have the same set up issues I had. You have to change settings in your wireless so it is just a switch (that allows the signal to pass thru) other wise it blocks the signal from going to the router. Also the router plugs into the wireless at the Uplink slot. They walked me thru it and it only took about 15 minutes. Just let them know you have 2 routers.
I'll give that a try :help: :thumbsup:

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you don't see an uplink port then any of the numbered ports will do. The newer linksys routers have auto sensing ports for crossover and because of that do not have a seperate uplink port.

I've dealt with Linksys support once years ago and it was great. Now that their owned by Cisco you might need to ask for a transfer multiple times before you get someone that speaks decent english.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
cvm4 said:
What a PITA :hammersma I can't connect to the internet even though when I unplug the line that goes from the modem and hook it directly to my computer, I can connect. Never thought it'd be this frustrating to get wireless internet. May'be I'm confused of what to put in when it asks for the internet connect type, DHCP, etc. :dunno:

Linksys WRT54G
Man, I had the same problem. I have a desktop with a DSL modem, and I picked up a laptop with wireless around November. Bought the Linksys WRT54G to get wireless access for the laptop. Could not get the linksys WRT54G to work no matter what. Called Linksys several times. They even had me return one of them to BestBuy for another one (they thought maybe it was defective). I could hook the modem directly to my laptop and could connect to the Internet with no problem. Could never get the Linksys router configured using my desktop.

I have SBCYahoo DSL. Talk about feeling stupid. I decided to call their support to get some help. Turns out the DSL modem is also a wireless router or access point (didn't know that). So, I didn't even need the Linksys.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY girlfriend just got a new laptop from her company, with built in wireless. She immediatly ran down to comp usa and bought a cool looking, shiny-sleek-with-bright-blue-LED's on top, from Netgear. It was evidently the favorite of the kid that was working the aisle that day.

When she got home with it, I started doing some research, and it turns out that almost 50% of buyers that made a review LOVED it. The problem is the other half of respondents said it "Sucked ass."

It was a pain to set up, partly because our cable provider locked up the modem in a box on the outside of the house, and one of the things required during start up was to reboot the modem. I had to go into the basement and unplug the battery back up for the modem, and then remove the battery.

And now, 3 days later, we are having the same issues the haters voiced. Dropped sessions, can't creat a VPN to her work. Dead spots in the house. WPA was a bitch to set up. I am taking this frickin thing back to CompUsa tomorrow, and I am thinking of using it to beat the kid that works in the networking aisle.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Netgear products do suck for the most part although there
ll be lots of people who like the brand. I'm partial to Linksys and D-link and both have their own issues but I've had more success with Linksys.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Call Linksys, I had similar prolem and they hooked me up with their online set up that worked fine. No problems since.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
avid toker said:
Netgear products do suck for the most part although there
ll be lots of people who like the brand. I'm partial to Linksys and D-link and both have their own issues but I've had more success with Linksys.
I used to like netgear and as far as internal cards they are still ok. The stuff that sucks is the new products targeted at consumers which are made out of cheap plastic parts. They used to have all their routers made out of a nice metal case, and some of their more professional end stuff still is.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Rank_Tyro said:
And now, 3 days later, we are having the same issues the haters voiced. Dropped sessions, can't creat a VPN to her work. Dead spots in the house. WPA was a bitch to set up. I am taking this frickin thing back to CompUsa tomorrow, and I am thinking of using it to beat the kid that works in the networking aisle.
I bet you a dollar you don't have the guts to the beat the kid who sold her the unit!! :halfgrinw