What's new

Wireless router

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My old wireless router shot craps and I need a new one. My cable company said my new Road Runner modem has a built in wireless router, but it's painfully slow. Anyone have any advice on what to get? I would like stay in the $100 range, but will go higher if necessary. It will be set up in my walkout basement and would like to be able to have it reach outside to my deck and up to the third level of my house. I also want it to be protected. I'm running windows 7 with a intel core i7 if that helps.

Thanks,
Lomey

Edit: My wife and I each have laptops, tablets, smart phones and we have Directv wireless genie that runs 4 tvs.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My old wireless router shot craps and I need a new one. My cable company said my new Road Runner modem has a built in wireless router, but it's painfully slow. Anyone have any advice on what to get? I would like stay in the $100 range, but will go higher if necessary. It will be set up in my walkout basement and would like to be able to have it reach outside to my deck and up to the third level of my house. I also want it to be protected. I'm running windows 7 with a intel core i7 if that helps.

Thanks,
Lomey

Edit: My wife and I each have laptops, tablets, smart phones and we have Directv wireless genie that runs 4 tvs.
Try looking into Linksys. That's what i have always used and never had any problems with them. They have different models that range from about $60 to $200. Can usually find them at Best Buys or Radio Shack.

sirhchris

If no fit put spit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Motorola SBG6580. It's a model/router/firewall. It's one of the approved equipment you can use on roadrunner. It's not bad but like just about any wifi router, sucks going through walls. Down stream I have a few powerline range extenders that basically turns your homes outlets into wifi extenders and hardwire ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I always had to routinely reset my Asus , Lynksys, etc. routers for whatever reason.
Had this AirPort Extreme going for almost a year now with zero resets. It doubled my speeds versus my old router on Comcast broadband. YMMV. It is a little more pricey than your budget at $129 but does the job very well for a non techy person / super easy to set-up. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FE918LL/A/refurbished-airport-extreme

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I just recently bought a new router too and did a bunch of research. But no matter what you do, buy a new router. Having a dual modem/router is actually worse than having separate more often than not. Jfire just went through this as he had a combo router and wasn't happy. He brought it up to his bro in law who is a comcast tech and he showed him how to turn off the router function of the combo modem and he got much faster speeds and better distance with a stand-alone router.

I didn't need the latest and greatest so after my research, I got a model that's been out a year+ that was priced over half off now. It is still very fast with a dual band, has a far reach and got good reviews. Even if you don't use too much bandwidth streaming movies, gaming etc, I would recommend getting a dual band AC/N router. I don't have any computers that use the AC band, but my iphones/ipads do. So my Apple and DirecTV products can use the dedicated AC band while my laptops use the N band. Also, my router provides a Guest Network (not sure if that's common in all) so whenever guests come over, I just give them the password to the guest network that only allows them internet access, not my whole network.

I got the Trendnet AC1900 at $129 (used to be $260), but you really can't go wrong with the few major brands out there. The one thing I don't like about mine (which I knew in advance) was it isn't the most stable standing up. Look at the Amazon best selling list and go from there.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I don't know a whole lot about routers but when it comes to purchasing anything computer related I always go through Newegg.com. Most of the time they have free shipping and there prices always seam to be better than going in to any store like Fry's or Best Buy. Hope that helps.

sirhchris

If no fit put spit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good option to look into your home to help eliminate wireless dead spots because a router in a house by itself pretty much sucks unless you live in a studio. a must for any gamer to hardwire their console if the router is elsewhere. Its a wired + wireless powerline adapter.
http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-PLWK400/

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just recently bought a new router too and did a bunch of research. But no matter what you do, buy a new router. Having a dual modem/router is actually worse than having separate more often than not. Jfire just went through this as he had a combo router and wasn't happy. He brought it up to his bro in law who is a comcast tech and he showed him how to turn off the router function of the combo modem and he got much faster speeds and better distance with a stand-alone router.

I didn't need the latest and greatest so after my research, I got a model that's been out a year+ that was priced over half off now. It is still very fast with a dual band, has a far reach and got good reviews. Even if you don't use too much bandwidth streaming movies, gaming etc, I would recommend getting a dual band AC/N router. I don't have any computers that use the AC band, but my iphones/ipads do. So my Apple and DirecTV products can use the dedicated AC band while my laptops use the N band. Also, my router provides a Guest Network (not sure if that's common in all) so whenever guests come over, I just give them the password to the guest network that only allows them internet access, not my whole network.

I got the Trendnet AC1900 at $129 (used to be $260), but you really can't go wrong with the few major brands out there. The one thing I don't like about mine (which I knew in advance) was it isn't the most stable standing up. Look at the Amazon best selling list and go from there.
This sounds like what I'm looking for. My old router had a guest line that I really liked. This new modem is the first modem/router combo and I hate it. I hope I can turn off the router feature.

My last to routers were linksys and worked for my needs, but only lasted about 3 years each.

I will be checking out all the ones everyone listed. That's for the help guys!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Update: Costco had a sale on these for $110 so decided to go with this. Their return policy is second to none and it got a high rating. Dual band, guest network, high speed and long range. The things I was looking for.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Update: Costco had a sale on these for $110 so decided to go with this. Their return policy is second to none and it got a high rating. Dual band, guest network, high speed and long range. The things I was looking for.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Well, hows it working?