What's new

Wireless

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I accidently deleted windows Xp form my computer friday night. Which forced me to do a complete reinstall. I installed my router and wireless card exactly how I had it before. with WAP-PSK / AES security. Also have the MAC filter set to allow my computer only. My connect rate is very slow, a 3rd of what it was before. I'm running McAfee security (Anti virus and fiirewall) and cannot figure out why is so slow this time. I wondering if I have to enable some thing on my firewall. My connection monitor says its full signal. I have tried every channel. Its a linksys card and router with speedboost. If anyone has any ideas they wanna share it would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Did the numbers change like downloading etc, or does it just seem slower? If your traffic is encrypted it might slow down the router or your machine because it has the encrypt all the traffic on one end and decrypt it on the other.

Another thing perhaps is interference from another device somewhere. You can try a different wireless channel (1 though 11) to see if one works better.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It is probably best that I do not know it. There is this one guy at work that drives me nuts! He would be a good candidate!

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried every channel and its the same. However the speed seems to be the same or even better. Could be cause there is nothing on this system any more. So now I'm thinking I was getting a false reading in the past.

I didn't delete all of windows entirelly only a handfull of files which made it inopertable(sp?) while cleaning house. It wouldn't recover and would not open up the system restore so I started over. Helped me get ride of a lot junk I had in here.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Do you have cable or dsl? cable is a shared resource in your community, maybe there was some extra traffic this morning?