What's new

Wisconsin cheese curds and string cheese

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
It's been almost 13 years since I ate some REAL cheese curds and string cheese. We brought home a few pounds of curds and string cheese from Burnett Dairy Cheese when we had a family vacation @ Yellow Lake in Wisconsin.

Since they don't really have a "online store" per-se, does anyone have any alternate recommendations and stores that will ship it down here?

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Their shipping is outrageous! And the free shipping for orders over $100 is by FedEx ground which would mean I would receive hot liquid cheese in a pouch by the time it got here.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
An old friend makes the cheese for them. He was born and rasied in Lesuer and the man can make curds. Used to go to his plant and he'd scoop out a bucket for me to take home. He has a plant in Idaho now. as well.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
He is a wholesaler. Supplies Kraft with about a third of all thier product. Kinda lost touch over the years. Hunted pheasants with hin in South Dakota foe years on the opener. I'll ask around but youd think some of our resident cheeseheads would have a direct connection somewhere.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Curds were non-existant here until about two years ago. Kraft curds are the only ones available and IMO they're not even close to the curds I had in Burnett.

I don't know why I didn't think about it but there might be a few places in Houston that carry cheese from around the country.

gpugliese

Beware the penguins...
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
There is a thread here about 'poutine', which are cheese curds melted over fries and topped with gravy.

Sounds good to me!
That's very common in Montreal, and most of Canada for that matter. Very good, but very, uh, unhealthy.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've spent a good bit of time in Wisconsin and LOVE cheese curds. I bring some back whenever I go since we can't get them around here. I've yet to find a place that ships them at a reasonable price.
They're best when they're fresh and "squeaky"!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Not sure how much their shipping is, but Simon's Cheese is right by my office, and they have pretty dang good stuff. If all else fails, let me know and I can pick some up and ship it to you in whatever fashion you'd prefer.

Wade

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Most places I know that sell curds and such online from the area ship them via next day delivery because otherwise they spoil. Others only ship during the colder months (fall through spring) to help prevent spoilage.

Here's a few links:

http://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/

Here is the factory that a college friend of my wife manages

http://www4.mailordercentral.com/carrvalleycheeseco/default.asp

Hopefully those help.
That first link has a cheese curd club even, but the shipping costs as much as the club price.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Not sure how much their shipping is, but Simon's Cheese is right by my office, and they have pretty dang good stuff. If all else fails, let me know and I can pick some up and ship it to you in whatever fashion you'd prefer.

Wade
From the website:

Due to the warm weather, we are not shipping at this time!

I love cheese curd and would love to try some from Wisconsin. I am going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone finds a good solution.