What's new

Wishlist - Rums / Bourbons

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I have just been getting into some of the finer things in life (just said goodbye to a college career of miller lite and keystone 2 yrs ago lol) and have been trying different rums and bourbons. I was a huge Jack Daniel's fan up until I started drinking Buffalo Trace (my new crack)..

Like everything there is the best of the best and the best of the affordable lol. If you were able to choose 2 bottles of rum and 2 bottles of bourbon (must be currently available), 1 of each being the best of the best and the other being an affordable yet really good bottle, what would you choose?

Ex.

Affordable Rum
Dream Rum

Affordable Bourbon
Dream Bourbon

I am mainly interested in Rum and Bourbon but if people want to add their tequila, vodka etc. choices thats cool. This might be a good place to check around christmas time :king:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
from a rum standpoint...Appleton. very affordable and oh so drinkable. it's a darkish rum, with lots of sweetness.

my fave.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Affordable Rum: Flor de Cana 7 year old or Centenario
Dream Rum: Maybe one of the pricier Appleton Estates but honestly I like Flor de Cana just fine

Affordable Bourbon: Wild Turkey (I like the Rye version more but that's technically not a bourbon)
Dream Bourbon: I haven't heard much about expensive bourbon so...

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Affordable Rum: El Dorado 12yo *note* rum doesn't get to crazy expensive for really good rum. I mean you could find some of that old English Navy Rum from like a 100yrs ago.

Expensive Rum: Zaya, Appleton 21yo

Affordable bourbon: Buffalo Trace, Four Roses Barrel Strength
Expensive Bourbon: Pappy 23yo, Parkers HC Barrel Proof

Now real men drink scotch but not just any scotch, scotch from the Islay regions and some of my favs are:
Any Laphroaig, Any Ardbeg, Lagavullin 16yo, Taliskers are nice... LOL! I could go on and on.

Tequila: Around $40 bottle
Chinaco Anejo
Heradura Resposado

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Affordable Rum Appleton Estates VS
Dream(premium) Rum- Ron Z 23

Affordable Bourbon- Knob Creek
Dream(premium) Bourbon- Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Silly boy. And here I am wondering what you drink and ...poof. Thanks for saving me some time.

Rum: Captain to Legendario (and that appletons is good but deadly)
Bourbon: Not much of a bourban drinker.

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
LOL @ Scott.

Never thought about a dream rum. I was lucky enough to try the HC Barrel Proof last week. It was EXCELLENT.

I usually drink Matusalem Gr. Reserva or Zacapa

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
LOL @ Scott.

Never thought about a dream rum. I was lucky enough to try the HC Barrel Proof last week. It was EXCELLENT.

I usually drink Matusalem Gr. Reserva or Zacapa
Um, Matusalem. Got a couple bottles of that stuff. I dig it.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I will have to start checking this stuff out. A lot of stuff I have never seen before.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Affordable Rum, Brugal Anejo
Dream Rum, Ron Zacapa Centenairo 23 year old.

Affordable Burbon, Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Dream Burbon, Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
What I actually drink:
Rum: Flor de Cana 7
Bourbon: Maker's Mark
Vodka: Russian Standard
Gin: Beefeater
Scotch: J&B, Glenlivet 12, Glenmorangie QR, Laphroaig
Tequila: 1800 Reposado
Cognac: Courvoisier VS

Dream of drinking:
Rum: Ron Zacapa 23, Zaya
Bourbon: Booker's
Vodka: Elit
Gin: Ransom Old Tom
Scotch: Talisker 10, Macallan Fine Oak 15,
Tequila: Don Julio Anejo
Cognac: Martell Cordon Blue

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Not much of a bourbon drinker.

As for rum. If we're talking affordable mixing rum I LOVE Gosling black seal and also buy appleton. Kraken Rum is also a very good spiced rum and it's just as affordable as Captain Morgan. All these can be easily had in PA.

For a luxurious sipping rum there are so many choices. I have four bottles currently. I just picked up two on my weekend trip to Chicago.

Zacapa and Zaya are great standards available most anywhere and I rotate between the two (as you know can be had in PA easily).

Ron Pampero Aniversario which has a touch more of a burn than and not as sweet as the two above standards ~$35 (cannot get in PA unless special order).

Vizcaya VXOP - haven't tasted it yet as the cork top ripped in half and is stuck in the bottle at the moment, but I read nothing but good things about this ~$40

Goslings "Old Rum" or "Family Reserve" - yet to taste as well but I plan on it real soon. That stuff is at the cheapest $60 if you can find it. It was my dream rum for quite some time and now I have it!

PS I took my last final today you can come and try them if you have time available.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Okay quick revisit to the thread. I opened both of my newer bottles and poured about .75oz of each. The Vizcaya is damn good. It's no where as sweet as Zacapa or Zaya (zaya being the sweeter of the two if you ask me). The Gosling Family Reserve Old Rum is real dark in color. It's super smooth and the finish lasts forever. This has more sweetness than the Vizcaya but not as Zaya/Zacapa. I guess it really depends on what level of sweetness you like.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Affordable rum:
Flor de Cana 7 Gran Reserve - It's $20-$25 and you'll be hard pressed to find anything else remotely close at that price point.

More expensive rum:
As some others have said, it's easy to get a top shelf rum for a decent price when compared to bourbon or Scotch.
For me, The 3 Z's are the best... Zacapa, Zaya and Zafra. Zafra is fairly new to the US but price point is comparable to the other two at about $40.00. It's a true 21 YO Panama rum aged in bourbon barrels.

To kick it up a notch there is Zacapa XO Centenario. Normal retail is about $100.00 but Shopper's Vineyard runs it as a loss leader at $49.99. <LINK>

Bourbon... I'm with you on the Buffalo Trace, it's excellent.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My favourite rum is the Havana club Barrel proof but the 7 year old is good too.
Can't stand whisky / boubon.
Vodka it has to be Grey Goose
Gin is Bombay Saphire or Tankeray

Thats all the sirits I drink a pint of Reverand James, nutty black or Spitfire is the elixer of life in my humble opinion.

Good luck with your search