What's new

WLT Kit Bliss Cigar Kickstarter Concept

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well in place of "kit" what would the leaf suggestions for a medium not a pepper bomb for a firstimer? Assuming in buy quarter pound increments.

I've got everything but a mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well in place of "kit" what would the leaf suggestions for a medium not a pepper bomb for a firstimer? Assuming in buy quarter pound increments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You'll have to get the other dudes to chime in on this because I don't currently use any LO leaf in my blends, and "current" is significant because the stuff changes from season to season and even order to order. This summer's LO Dominican Piloto Seco ain't last winter's. And LO is the only place that offers 1/4lb samples.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Whole Leaf has tobacco kits. For example: What do you think of something like this for a new roller?
Many of us have tried that wrapper. In the pound that I purchased, I've only gotten a hand full of leafs that are good enough to use as wrapper. Much of it is so bad, it isn't even good for binder. Unfortunately that doesn't really mean anything though, because the stuff is almost fireproof.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Whole Leaf has tobacco kits. For example: What do you think of something like this for a new roller?
Sabroso Medio II

http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Sabroso-Medio-II-CgrBlnd2.htm
The filler in that kit is respectable. The wrapper, IMHO, is not.

So you see, my friend, you are already getting a taste of the problems we face in this hobby...

I can make a suggestion, which ignores your desire to start with the absolute minimum investment, but does not ignore the reality on the ground:

buy 1 lb each
Corojo Viso and
Dominican Ligero from WLT.

Then buy a couple seco-ish leafs of choice in 1/2 lb samples from LO, e.g. the Honduran and the Dominican Piloto, and perhaps 1 lb or 1/2 lb Dominican binder. Plus two 1/4 samples of LO wrapper that interest you, including the Brazilian Arapriaca and maybe one of the CT shades or the Habano Shades.

Okay, so yes, I fully understand that what I am suggesting here doesn't seem to take into consideration your own needs/wants/wallet. But it is coming from a place of trying to help you and get you situated with what really are the bare minimums of this hobby, in which you seem interested.

If you do get one of those kits, you're either going to end up with very shitty cigars and think, "Screw this, I tried, it ain't working," and then quit before giving it a legit chance. Or if you get lucky and make a good cigar with bad wrapper, you're going to think, "Oh, I like this, what pounds should I buy now so I can practice more and do more blends?"

So I'm making the suggestion of just skipping that part and getting straight to the "Practice more and make more blends part," as cheaply as possible. Because I know you're going to enjoy it a lot and be very good at it. But you need to just get a few pounds of proper leaf and start.

Alternate plan 1: Get the Melodioso Cremoso kit. Maybe you hate CT Shade sticks, but the WLT Ec. CT Shade is a good-quality wrapper compared to the others.
Alternate plan 2: Put together some kind of "kit" from LO 1/4 samples. Dominican Piloto seco, which you can also use as binder, plus some other viso or ligero (get opinions about it from others here) and some wrapper leaf.

Buena suerte!

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quarter lb. increments are a great way to get going. Keep it simple.

LO has Dominican seco and ligero in 1/4 lb samples. (Piloto Cubano is a good choice)
The next step up in power would be the Nicaraguan seco and ligero.

1/4 lb of Dominican binder.

Any of the Ecuadorian shade wrappers are good to work with or the Mexican San Andres

If you got 1/4 lb. of each one of the above it would give you 1 1/2 lbs. of leaf to get started and you can do plenty of variations of blends of varying strength profiles.

If you get a mold, get a high quality plastic one like this. (don't buy the cheaper wooden molds. They're not good.)
https://www.leafonly.com/cigar-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-accessories/52-6-cigar-mold-plastic

You need cigar glue also...
https://www.leafonly.com/cigar-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-accessories/cigar-glue-bermocoll

Capper tool...
https://www.leafonly.com/cigar-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-accessories/cigar-capper-tool

A pizza cutter works fine if you have one instead of buying a chaveta.

Hope this helps!!