What's new

WLT Kit Bliss Cigar Kickstarter Concept

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The thing is, if I give a list of leaf and how much, isn’t it just going to end up to be fire proof anyway?
what about the rest that makes it all work.
Consider it may not always be the leaf.
It seems the same leaf that works for me is the same leaf that is found to be shit leaf.
I don’t know how or, if it can be explained when a certain tobacco has had enough working done to it.
OK, what work is being done? Are we talking more fermentation or something else? Like casing and stretching to make it lay flat? I'm not looking for the difficult part about when it's done, just curious what work we're talking about.
TIA, Jim

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, a "kit" that may work well for beginners is my cherry bomb blend. It requires an order from both WLT and LO. For filler you have Ecuador habano seco (LO), corojo viso (WLT), and criollo ligero (WLT), with a Dominican binder (either vendors is suitable) with an Ecuadorian habano ligero wrapper. This is actually a good wrapper for a beginner to work with because it it relatively thick and sturdy yet the veins aren't massive and it lays flat and shiny very easily. The filler is a 1:1:1 ratio and the smoke is a medium plus that is approachable to most everyone and there is no special treatment required of the leaf except I give all my ligero a little mojo to smooth it out.
All right, thanks. Since I'm thinking about three dealios here--WLT kits, LO kits, Combo kits--this would be a combo kit, which I think would be the most expensive of the kits because of the total shipping bills. But what if I wanted to try to hack together a WLT kit from it? What WLT seco would I swap in? I think the Criollo wrapper would sub in okay for the habano ligero. It could totally pass as Habano. Seems just like it, really. Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
All right, thanks. Since I'm thinking about three dealios here--WLT kits, LO kits, Combo kits--this would be a combo kit, which I think would be the most expensive of the kits because of the total shipping bills. But what if I wanted to try to hack together a WLT kit from it? What WLT seco would I swap in? I think the Criollo wrapper would sub in okay for the habano ligero. It could totally pass as Habano. Seems just like it, really. Thanks again.
Either the corojo seco or the nica habano seco would be my first grabs.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, what work is being done? Are we talking more fermentation or something else? Like casing and stretching to make it lay flat? I'm not looking for the difficult part about when it's done, just curious what work we're talking about.
TIA, Jim
Working tobacco refers to sorting, destemming, casing, castings, (which is anything you would add to a casing water aka mojo), fermenting as needed and blending.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Current summation, using input from Nic, BH, and me (further input from others welcome and desired) seems something like this, for an all WLT-kit:

Binder: Dom
Seco: either Criollo, Corojo, or NIca Habano
Viso: Corojo
Ligero: Criollo or Dominican
Wrapper: Criollo98

Obviously the wrapper is the big problem here. We don't have experience with the Criollo98 other than knowing that MarcL does great things with it. As to the CT Shade, I'm the only one around here who cottons to it in general (maybe Webmost does, too). And unfortunately my luck with WLT CT Shade was with the Ecuador variety he no longer intends to stock. My experience with his USA variety is with a kit years ago, and that kit did not yield a pleasant smoke. So we could limit it to Criollo98 for now? Keeps the budgie down, right?

We could simplify the math at first and just go with the Corojo Viso, Criollo ligero, and the three secos. Then I could do a mix of typical blends with those, as many blends as tobacco allows, such that each kicker gets 2 sticks of each blend.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is all a learning experience for me so I will defer to the more experienced burners in the group for opinions. In the end would it be feasible/possible to have a very small sample of each tobacco so I can learn what each one tastes like separately? How do the blenders taste individual tobaccos? Can I burn it in a pipe? Does that make sense? If that's a stupid idea just say so.

Thanks for doing this

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is all a learning experience for me so I will defer to the more experienced burners in the group for opinions. In the end would it be feasible/possible to have a very small sample of each tobacco so I can learn what each one tastes like separately? How do the blenders taste individual tobaccos? Can I burn it in a pipe? Does that make sense? If that's a stupid idea just say so.

Thanks for doing this
Yep, no problem. You could have a half-leaf of each tobacco and then burn it however you want to. Roll it into a tube and smoke it, crumble it and smoke it in a pipe or roll it in some papers or whatever you want to do. No limits on ways to burn stuff to try to figure it out. It's a bit tricky to understand what a leaf will do in a cigar until you actually roll it into a cigar, tho. I always light and burn each leaf in various formations and it smells/tastes different each way I burn it... I think it's a good thing to do.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Probably don't need that much, just some of the trimmings left over when you get finished rolling. I wonder if I still have that bong from the 70s?:angelic:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I've had WLT ship several of these kits to aspiring rollers over the years, and with good results.
Yes, but I don't feel confident about that Ec. Maduro or H2K at this time and wouldn't feel good about using it in this experiment. In the past there has been a greater variety of wrappers in the kits. I also did not have a good experience with the Honduras Habano.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Are you buying cigars that will come to your house and go in your humidor and that you will smoke? If the answer to all those is no, then it doesn't affect your standing in the freeze.
Jeez just joking bro