What's new

Wood for Humidor?

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
What types of wood are acceptable to use in building a humidor? Besides Spanish Cedar, what choices are there?

I came across this site as one source, but I have no idea about its accuracy:

http://www.humidor-guide.com/humidor-construction/spanish-cedar-in-humidors

I'm looking for something that looks nice for wall lining and shelving... cigars wouldn't sit on that wood directly... they would be in spanish cedar boxes... but I'd like a wood that can retain a fair amount of moisture and wouldn't impart a strong odor.

Some other types of hardwood?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I believe Mahagony is what you are looking for. Cheaper and retains just as much humidity. Doesn't give the cedar aging that spanish cedar does but the boxes will take care of that.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I was told Mahogany as well. I am currently searching out info on how I am going to build a medium sized cabinet as well. I figured that I might as well make one that I like rather than settle for something that was cheap.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I was looking into alternatives a while back, and was told the american/canadian cedar would be a no no, as it's very strong in aroma, and would impart that into the cigars. Then I looked into Mahogany, and the guy at home depot said they cant sell it cause its protected or something like that.

I kinda wondered about red Oak, cause it doesn't have a strong scent, but it isn't as porous so he said it may not hold humidity well like Spanish cedar. That wasn't my concern, but if mold would be an issue, and he said it shouldn't. Red Oak also seemed very reasonable price wise.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Spanish cedar is actually a type of mahogany, and not a cedar. If you go with mahogany, make sure you don't get so-called Philippine "mahogany" (aka lauan).

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I was looking into alternatives a while back, and was told the american/canadian cedar would be a no no, as it's very strong in aroma, and would impart that into the cigars. Then I looked into Mahogany, and the guy at home depot said they cant sell it cause its protected or something like that.

I kinda wondered about red Oak, cause it doesn't have a strong scent, but it isn't as porous so he said it may not hold humidity well like Spanish cedar. That wasn't my concern, but if mold would be an issue, and he said it shouldn't. Red Oak also seemed very reasonable price wise.

It's not so much about how much humidity the oak holds, but more so how it deals with extended high humidity... does it warp easily in humid climates?

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
is teak OK? i am looking at building a coolidor out of an edgestar twr282s 28bottle wine cooler and they have teak shelves that come with it, i would assume it would be fine at the temp and hummidity levels in the wine cooler because thats what there actully made for just wondering if anyone has any other opinions

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Mahogany is always a nice choice. I have one under construction right now out of Mahogany. It is lined with SC however, but so you have an idea....

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
all wood will acclimate humidity to it's environment... like water seeking it's own level

and alot of lumber yards will substitute meranti for mahogany. meranti is refered to as lauan when shaved for veneers.