What's new

Wood/Glue Mites

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In the process of moving, I moved quite a few of my sticks around and happened to leave a few in my desktop humidor... Since I knew there would be mainly open space in the humidor I threw a few 69% Boveda packs into the desktop, thinking it would help keep 65%, until I could reload it and find a safe place for it. (Furniture really hasn't been ordered yet)

Long story short, I open the box last night and notice what I thought was dust from the heartfelt beads (I use a lid mounted setup) started to move. First I thought I managed to get beetles, I must have allowed the temperature to get too high, etc. Quick search tells me they are wood mites, and harmless to cigars.

Regardless I'm not happy about the situation, have heard they come out in the humidity, and sunlight will erradicate them quicky. Have heard mites are freezing resistant and will come back if conditions are right when they thaw out. I can't do much with the desktop itself as I am afraid of damaging it (don't really even want to let it sit in the sun for a few hours for fear of fading the finish)

Questions, comments, thoughts.... Have you ever run into mites? will they eat my humidor? Should I be happy someone is keeping this sticks company all day?

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
good eye.
many foreign countries require that all crates made out of wood being shipped from the U.S. be heat treated to reduce the risk of such pest infestation.
International standards for phytosanitary measures No.15's "bug stamp"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood mites are harmless but must be eradicated for the sake of good hygiene. Spraying insecticides can be a better option. My friend encountered the mites problem in his cigar humidor. It invaded his cigar humidor. After consulting a termite control in Sacramento, he froze the mite eggs for few hours as it cannot survive in cold climate. Secondly, professionals also suggested bringing the hypoaspis mite(a predatory mite), as they quickly consume the wood mites.