What's new

Wood question

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Saw on another thread, the mission avallo, that it had quarter sawn oak over mdf and it was a $300 option.

Do all Avallos use mdf? I thought they always used solid woods. G1

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Let me expand on my answer a little bit.

MDF is used because it will not warp. Cabinet makers can use simple construction techniques, use proper electronics, and give you a product that works well.

"real wood" requires different, more complicated, construction techiques. It takes them a lot longer to build. The cost of the materials is not that big of a difference, its the labor too build it right. Thats why you will see the price tag be $3000 instead of $1000.

If you look at cabinet builders like Matt from Avallo, and Bob from Aristocrat, you will notice that they have been building cabinets for many years. Customer complaints are near zero, and thier cabinets last for years. They know what they are doing, and what to make thier cabinets out of.

If you have been on cigar forums or involved in the cigar industry for 20 years, you will see that there have been more than a few humidor makers who have gone out of business because they made humidors out of solid wood. If they built them correctly, prices were too high. If they built them incorrectly with solid woods, they had high percentages of customer service issues. Warped and cracked humidors drove them out of business. Years ago, a new cabinet humidor maker sold a good amount of "real wood" cabinet humidors at a pretty cheap price to a bunch of Cigar Family members. Not too long later, what they had was a bunch of warped, cracked cabinet humidors. He shut down his shop and disappeared forever.

in my opinion, the term "solid wood" is used more as an advertising tool.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
If you ever get the chance to see an Avallo up close, you will see the attention to detail. They are beautiful, and they are well built. I have had my 2000 for 6 years, and it has been nothing but consistent. The peace of mind is awesome :)