What's new

WooHoo! Almost there!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I put the last piece of siding on my house today. I'm ecstatic! I still have caulking and painting to do as long as the weather cooperates but the bulk of the project is done and the end is in sight.
It may seem trivial but this project has taken the majority of my free (good weather) time for the past two years.
For those who don't know what I've been up to, I've been replacing all the siding on my 135 year old house. The old stuff was original believe it or not and while it had a long, useful life it was time for a new skin. Most folks would have gone with vinyl which would have been much cheaper and faster but I feel it ruins the character of an old house. I'm a former remodeling professional so I've got old house restoration in my blood. I opted for Cabot factory finished select cedar beveled siding, oil base primed all sides and one coat prefinish. I strip the old siding off, repair/replace any damaged or rotted framing, treat the framing with a lifetime preservative/termite repellent, chink up the insulation (the house has already been gutted from the inside, rewired, plumbed and insulated), housewrap with Tyvek, re-case the windows with prefinished spanish cedar and then, finally, put the siding on. All pieces of wood are sealed on all sides and all cuts are sealed before being installed with stainless steel nails. Once it's installed I do my caulking and topcoat the siding and trim with a finish coat of Cabot paint. I also have put new shutter hardware on all the windows including the old style catches at the sill. Eventually I'll put authentic wood shutters back on all the windows since the only originals left were on the front of the house. I repainted and reinstalled them. I've also power washed and painted the standing seam porch roof, installed a new 15-lite TDL door in the kitchen and power washed, scraped and primed the detached two car garage. I still need to paint that (c'mon good weather!). All told I've run about 6000 lineal feet of siding, a few hundred feet of trim and hammered between 5-6000 nails, the old fashioned way.
I'm in the business so I got excellent pricing for all the material (about $10,000). If I hired a contractor to do all that I've done it would have cost me about $30-35,000.
I smoked a Partagas Short when I nailed the last board on (what can I say, I was in the mood to "Party").

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Sounds like a ton of work but worth it I am sure. I too would love to see some pics of your hardwork!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Damn, nice job man. I just spent the last weekend building a pergola for my patio and I just love doin this type of stuff. Yeah, you could pay someone to do it, but the reward of doing it yourself is greater. Not to mention the dough you save for more important things :wink: :smokingco

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'd post pictures if I could but I think I may be the only American who hasn't gotten a digital camera yet. I did take some video of the before/after/process but I don't know if I can get any of that onto my computer and make some stills from it.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
windowrx said:
I'd post pictures if I could but I think I may be the only American who hasn't gotten a digital camera yet. I did take some video of the before/after/process but I don't know if I can get any of that onto my computer and make some stills from it.
Maybe I should cruise up there some time and snap some pics for you?

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
SWEET! Brian! The weather is supposed to hold out until late this week too (maybe a shower on Tues evening).

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thanks Todd. Glad you could come by. Only thing is........it's not good manners to blow someones house up after they've worked so hard on it. Sneaky bastid!

(Note to self: Always think twice before saying "Sure Todd, come on by".)

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I haven't set a date yet but now that this is done I'm planning on a herf here next summer. It'll be along the lines of a "Gars, Guns & Gambling" herf. Home roasted coffee and cigars in the morning, then off to the IWLA to flang some lead downrange, back here for an afternoon of over-indulgence in food, cigars and libations before heading up to the racetrack to bet on the ponies and play the slots.

Anyone interested?

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
i'll have to make my second trip down there for this!

I don't have a gun license or really too familiar with them, so I'll just hold the targets.