What's new

Working NES and Genesis consoles

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

Got the ol' NES and Genesis out of storage... they work (sorta) and was wondering if anyone on BOTL has gone down this rabbit hole before: are they worth getting cleaned up? Any good resources for games, service, etc? (other than a Google search)?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I had an emulator on my PC a few years ago and a ton of games. It was fun to play the old games but after a few weeks that faded. I would go the emulator route before chasing down consoles and games.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Not completely on topic, but last Christmas I received a unit that played a crap ton of the old Atari 2600 games. It really brought back my childhood. Recently while destroying my 11year old nephew at Combat, he couldn't believe how primitive it looked. I guess growing up with an Xbox, he is unable to fathom just how awesome an Atari could have been back in the 80's.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Sean - I'm glad I get to turn you onto this.

You need a Gameboy and a "Little Sound DJ" cartridge. You, sir, will love it.
Yo, Max! Holy shizznit! Where you been?!?

No to burst your bubble, but my old bandmate had two gameboys with LSDJ and a 2600 with Synthcart. I was on acoustic drums and a Simmons SDS8, and we also rocked a Synare1.. and there was a bass player, too. We partied!

Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I still play my nes and snes regularly. I pick up games I never had as a kid from the flea market. It's a ton of fun. You can also get new systems that play the old games if your old one isn't up to par

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a working N64 with the cables and 2 controllers for $15 at a thrift store a few years back.
My brother has an NES with a small collection of cartridges.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Funny this is posted. I took a ride to GameStop here on LI and I saw that they had for sale all the games and systems from atari, NES, SNES, Original playstation, sega gensis, N64, game cube, game boy and the list goes on....you name it they probably have it...

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I've reacquired the consoles twice. Bunch of games etc

I recommend just hitting emu paradise and getting whatever you want. Buy a good PC gaming controller. Good to go for $20 investment

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My genesis still works, but i dont play it. I busted out the n64 a while ago and it works somewhat. Some games play ok, and some cause the system to restart continuously. Emulator is probably the best way to go.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0

Got the ol' NES and Genesis out of storage... they work (sorta) and was wondering if anyone on BOTL has gone down this rabbit hole before: are they worth getting cleaned up? Any good resources for games, service, etc? (other than a Google search)?
With a wii or wiiu you can download the old games and play them for about $5 each. The selection isn't the greatest though.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Shout out to toejam and Earl. As others have said emulators are the cheap solution to scratching your oldschool game itch, but they can't recreate the actual console obv. So if you wanna go that route then searching at goodwills online and b&m is a good way to find great deals. Otherwise just check amazon, or estarland. There's also likely a b&m store within reasonable driving distance to you if you search around

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
should have a console NES throwdown- find a game everyone has on console and see who can hit the highest score. Or could do a pass with the cartridge and give each person a week to get their highest score before sending it on. Idk about allowing emulators due to the ability to save/store games at any point etc etc. Console based ftw

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yeah, the only thing wrong with my NES is this buzz coming off the rca out. Other then that, I think my contacts need a cleaning and that's it.

Any tips for cleaning contacts?

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
should have a console NES throwdown- find a game everyone has on console and see who can hit the highest score. Or could do a pass with the cartridge and give each person a week to get their highest score before sending it on. Idk about allowing emulators due to the ability to save/store games at any point etc etc. Console based ftw
Tetris? I win