What's new

Working out (weights)

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
All right, who are the muscle heads around here? I've worked out off and on over the past few years with weights. Have my own weight bench, rack and weights out in the Florida room. My biggest problem is NOT having a routine. I just can't seem to get a good split down. I can only really devote about 3 solid days a week to weights. I have to attempt to fit in what cardio I can a couple other days a week, and to be quite honest the other couple of days I want to myself for whatever I want them for. So...anyone got a good three day routine that will hit all the muscle groups and won't take up more than say...an hour or so each?

Suggested excercises are welcome as well. Thanks!:thumbsup:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I would suggest doing this:

Do your pushing exercises on one day: i.e. Chest, shoulders, tri's.

Do your pulling exercises on one day: i.e. Back and bi's

Do your legs one day: i.e. Legs

Or if you don't care about legs and don't have the means to work them properly, I'd do this:

Chest and bi's on one day, Shoulders and tri's one day, and then Back on the last. You could space it by doing 1 day on and 1 day off, or however you want. :thumbsup:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hmmm...I kinda like the first option. My legs are telling me I certainly have the resources to work them properly ( :headroll: )!!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I lift weights daily...I only have one 25 pound weight but I lift it about 50 times a day.

The cool thing is that it continues to increase in weight and I just recently acquired a new 8lb weight that will also continue to increase. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I don't have a complete set of weights or a bench. Just a couple of dumbells. I do two sets of reps about every other day (or so) that work upper and lower arms, chest, shoulders, back and sides and I do between 75-100 crunches. As workouts go it's a pretty light one. I think each dumbell is currently at just 35 lbs. and I do them until I can go no longer. It takes about an hour and keeps the blood flowing. I do a fair amount of walking, thanks to the dog, who thinks he has a constitutional right to at least two walks a day.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I used to work out all the time and really need to get back into the gym.

Cliff did hit on an important topic - pushing and pulling motions. It is important to alternate pushing and pulling excersises within the same muscle group, but I would not do all pushing excersises on one day and pulling the next.

I have to disagree with Cliff a little here. I would work your Chest and tri the same day. When you do bench you really hit your tris...if you work chest and then tris the next day or two you are not giving them any rest...basically you are working your triceps on two consecutive days you workout.

Also, work the biggest muscle group first (Chest, back, quads) before working the smaller (tris, bi's, calfs)

My routine usually consisted of

Day 1
Chest - try and alternate pushing and pulling motions with all muscle groups.
Flat bench - push
Peck deck - pull
Incline press -push

Tri
TONS of tricep excercises
Dips - these work - push
Extensions - lots of variations - pull
Kickbacks with dumbells - push

ABS
Cardio

Day 2
REST

Day 3
Back and Biceps
ABS

Day4
Rest

Day 5
Shoulders
ABS
LEGS

There you go...M-F with the weekends off.

Remember rest is key for muscle development especially when you first start out. You will be sore as a MF'er the first 2 weeks.

Remember:

Chest/Tri

Back/Bi

Shoulders

Legs

ABS

Cardio

Work bigger muscle groups before the smaller and alternate pushing and pulling excersises within the same muscle group when you can. If you only work the muscle group once a week HIT IT HARD!! Don't work any group more than twice a week....give it time to rest...burn the abs 3 days a week.

Hope this helps. Good luck and damn I need to start working out again....got 20-25 lbs to lose.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
The only reason I included a 2nd workout routine with chest and bi's is because I know I can work tri's a whole lot better when I haven't worked chest in the same day. Your triceps will already be fautiged (sp?) because of working chest and some can work them better on seperate days. But, working out is like cigars, everyone has a different routine that they swear by and anything will get the job done.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
cvm4 said:
The only reason I included a 2nd workout routine with chest and bi's is because I know I can work tri's a whole lot better when I haven't worked chest in the same day. Your triceps will already be fautiged (sp?) because of working chest and some can work them better on seperate days. But, working out is like cigars, everyone has a different routine that they swear by and anything will get the job done.
True Cliff...there are so many different schools of thought on the correct workout routine.

Go with whatever works :thumbsup:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Good stuff folks, I appreciate it. I already had a handle on the big muscles then little muscles, I just always get mixed up with what not to work out together other than Chest/tris together, Back/bi's together. Most likely I'll go with this:

Monday: Chest/Triceps
Tuesday: Back/Biceps
Thursday: Legs/Shoulders

Anyone see a problem?

I know this may seem cheezy, but I've found that keeping a watch out for the latest Men's Health magazines with their monthly workouts towards the very end of the magazine. So far I'm using or have used their Chest workout and parts of their Arm workout. The arm workout I don't like so much because it seems to have everything (tris and bis) together, but I just split it up for when I work those muscle groups. Their recent chest work out is, IMO, very good though.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I used to subscribe to Muscle&Fitness and Flex Magazine and soon realized that they just said the same stuff over and over but with a new twist. They are very helpful for those people starting out or getting back into it though.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yeah, I used to subscribe to Mens Health, but let it lapse. It's a good cross between fitness and a Men's magazine. Now I just wait for the new issue to come out, flip to the work out and if I like it, pick it up.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Monday: Chest/Triceps
Tuesday: Back/Biceps
Thursday: Legs/Shoulders

Anyone see a problem?
i used to do something like that until my brother (who is studying to be a trainer) told me to do every muscle group during each workout. it worked for me.

only the true bodybuilders should split it up.

best webiste - www.exrx.net/

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
jordon said:
i used to do something like that until my brother (who is studying to be a trainer) told me to do every muscle group during each workout. it worked for me.

only the true bodybuilders should split it up.

best webiste - www.exrx.net/
Great link Doug!