What's new

Workouts, Exercises and Stretches + Pain Relief and Injury Prevention.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post on this topic. I have been diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis. I’m looking for exercises that would help with that but it can’t be aggressive exercise. I have bad knees too so I can’t lay on the floor because it is hard to get up and I don’t have an elevated table either.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tai Chi. Get into your groove stretching then you can get some dumbbells followed by a heavy bag or kick bag.

Playing racquetball, basketball or tennis got fun will build up your endurance while having fun.

But now that I’m older I sleep through Winter mostly so I use a hot tub and I stretch using a inversion table for 5-10 minutes a day taking the synovial fluid out of the spinal cartridge and letting it clean out and take pressure of that cartridge really helps.

You can dance around, walk the dog, as my 90# hound lives to pull wrestle with toys as well which helps fine things even if it’s rough in the fingers. Do whatever you love and will keep doing because it’s fun for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks for the post on this topic. I have been diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis. I’m looking for exercises that would help with that but it can’t be aggressive exercise. I have bad knees too so I can’t lay on the floor because it is hard to get up and I don’t have an elevated table either.
I'm not familiar with that, but the thing that immediately comes to mind is yoga. (That Thai chi didn't sound like a bad idea either) There are some very easy basic flows you can stream from Amazon Prime Video and YouTube as well. Other mobility and stretching work might be helpful also.

Maybe try to come up with some kind of firm. But cushioned elevated surface you can do some of the work on.

After doing yoga for a little while, your mobility may improve enough to help getting up and down. There are also easier ways to get up and down using your body's leverage than the ways we usually do it.

Maybe start taking some collagen and other joint improvement supplements?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
In addition to the other things, hanging from a pull up bar might be helpful.

Here are some other recommended movements.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Excercises+for+Spondylolisthesis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
ab-bench-roman-chair-45-degree-hyperextension-abdominal-bench.jpeg
This contraption is what I use to work lower back. Start with body weight, hands on chest, then as it becomes easier, hands behind head, then start holding a weight. Thus one really improves posture and makes other exercises, like back squats and dead lifts, possible for me.

Try doing same motion on one of the big exercise balls if a gym/equipment isnt available.

Superman is a good one.
https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/superman

Also, alternating planks and longer duration superman is a good core/back exercise using only body weight. Time them, then increase duration as you get better. Could do these on an elevated surface if getting up from the floor is difficult.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
For the last 15 years or so, my exercise routines have been mostly kettlebell focused (Enter the Kettlebell and the old RKC stuff, Simple & Sinister (currently swinging and TGUing 32kg!), any of the videos from Art of Strength (great way to test strength/endurance, not a great overall routine for long term IMO)).

I also did You Are Your Own Gym for a couple years, and still dabble occasionally.

And I did Shawn T.'s Focue T25 with the wife. It was pretty fun. A lot of jumping

And I ride my bike everywhere.

And still I have developed some dad-bod in the last five years.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've had good luck lately using leg machines to keep my back loose. Gym I go to (not as frequently as I'd like, but still) has a leg press machine where you sit inclined and push horizontally, it's great. No need to go crazy with the weight, just enough to get the muscles working and my back (especially lower back) feels great the next day

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
For the last 15 years or so, my exercise routines have been mostly kettlebell focused (Enter the Kettlebell and the old RKC stuff, Simple & Sinister (currently swinging and TGUing 32kg!), any of the videos from Art of Strength (great way to test strength/endurance, not a great overall routine for long term IMO)).

I also did You Are Your Own Gym for a couple years, and still dabble occasionally.

And I did Shawn T.'s Focue T25 with the wife. It was pretty fun. A lot of jumping

And I ride my bike everywhere.

And still I have developed some dad-bod in the last five years.
Thanks for those references. I'm all in on calisthenics / bodyweightfitness right now, but I've always been curious about the kettlebell thing.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I've had good luck lately using leg machines to keep my back loose. Gym I go to (not as frequently as I'd like, but still) has a leg press machine where you sit inclined and push horizontally, it's great. No need to go crazy with the weight, just enough to get the muscles working and my back (especially lower back) feels great the next day
Those things do look good.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tai Chi. Get into your groove stretching then you can get some dumbbells followed by a heavy bag or kick bag.

Playing racquetball, basketball or tennis got fun will build up your endurance while having fun.

But now that I’m older I sleep through Winter mostly so I use a hot tub and I stretch using a inversion table for 5-10 minutes a day taking the synovial fluid out of the spinal cartridge and letting it clean out and take pressure of that cartridge really helps.

You can dance around, walk the dog, as my 90# hound lives to pull wrestle with toys as well which helps fine things even if it’s rough in the fingers. Do whatever you love and will keep doing because it’s fun for you.
The Tai Chi sounds like something that might work. I’ll discuss it with my doctor when I see him next Monday.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thanks for those references. I'm all in on calisthenics / bodyweightfitness right now, but I've always been curious about the kettlebell thing.
It's just so fun to swing a heavy ass piece of iron! I'm finding today that the best thing about Simple & Sinister is that it makes me better at doing other things, vs. lifting weights, which make you better at lifting weights. Doing kettlebell work makes me do better at bodyweight/stretching. The program is very basic, and designed to leave "gas in the tank" for anything specific or targeted that you might do ex. power-lifting or what have you.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Anyone with low back pain? Just saw this from Cavalier that looks fantastic.

He has several other good vids related to back pain that are worth watching as well.

@StogieNinja
This looks more painful than my back already is. I find that just simply being more active helps.
As for workout ideas, my buddy got me doing flutter kicks for abs. They are much more difficult than they look but seem to be helping. For those not familiar with them ( i was not before he showed me) you lay on your back and lift your shoulders and legs at the same time and hold. While in this position you make small kicks without touching your feet to the ground. Each time you lower your right foot it counts as one. I have been doing 3 sets of 25. By the end you will cuss me, but i actually enjoy them now.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
This looks more painful than my back already is. I find that just simply being more active helps.
As for workout ideas, my buddy got me doing flutter kicks for abs. They are much more difficult than they look but seem to be helping. For those not familiar with them ( i was not before he showed me) you lay on your back and lift your shoulders and legs at the same time and hold. While in this position you make small kicks without touching your feet to the ground. Each time you lower your right foot it counts as one. I have been doing 3 sets of 25. By the end you will cuss me, but i actually enjoy them now.
I do some of that in my ab work. Good stuff. But the super man / reverse hollow body moves, really seem to be helping with lower back strength and stability. Along with yoga.