What's new

world no tobacco day

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
according to the world health organization, this is a thing. today in fact! how are YOU celebrating?

for me, it is 6:30am and i am a don carlos #4 and a chateau SG down. benefits of waking up at 3. o)

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I say F the W.H.O.
I motion that the day be reclaimed, and thus dubbed
World MO Tobacco Day! All in favor say "aye"!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
OK, sure, it's Friday so I'll be having a cigar today. But I certainly don't hold this day's designation against the WHO. No one can deny that we'd all be, in the aggregate, in better health now and into the future without tobacco. I rationalize my behavior by emphasizing to myself that I've never smoked cigarettes and I don't inhale, so my health risks, although higher than the complete abstainers, aren't SO MUCH higher...! Still, I can't escape the fact that last weekend was the one year anniversary of the passing of my mom, a life-long smoker. She had half a lung removed in '05, radiation treatment shriveled up half of her other lung in '07, yet she still smoked, even while on oxygen, until the very end. I can't know for sure, but I do believe that if it wasn't for her tobacco use, she'd still be with us. On second thought, maybe I'll forego that cigar just for today...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, I guess that means I have to go spend some extra money at my B&M. You know, mini-stimulus during a mini-tobacco recession.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Crap, and I didnt know. Well, I celebrated by taking the day off and going to my cabin in the woods, spent the morning mowing grass with 3 good friends, Bahia Maduro, La Gloria Maduro and El Mejor Espresso. The 3 of them had a burning good time.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
according to the world health organization, this is a thing. today in fact! how are YOU celebrating?

for me, it is 6:30am and i am a don carlos #4 and a chateau SG down. benefits of waking up at 3. o)
Completely forgot about world no tonacco day being today, had I known would lit up first thing, oh well, better late than never. I must disagree tho, I see no benefit at all at being up at 3 am Sean....

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
OK, sure, it's Friday so I'll be having a cigar today. But I certainly don't hold this day's designation against the WHO. No one can deny that we'd all be, in the aggregate, in better health now and into the future without tobacco. I rationalize my behavior by emphasizing to myself that I've never smoked cigarettes and I don't inhale, so my health risks, although higher than the complete abstainers, aren't SO MUCH higher...! Still, I can't escape the fact that last weekend was the one year anniversary of the passing of my mom, a life-long smoker. She had half a lung removed in '05, radiation treatment shriveled up half of her other lung in '07, yet she still smoked, even while on oxygen, until the very end. I can't know for sure, but I do believe that if it wasn't for her tobacco use, she'd still be with us. On second thought, maybe I'll forego that cigar just for today...
wanted to take a moment to respond to this. i completely get where you are coming from on this. and i have lost family, including my mother, to cancer. i really support you taking a step back out of respect.

for myself, while i applaud that, i really intensely dislike loosing my freedoms. i support moderation in all things, but most of my favorite things in life, the things i like to enjoy with my loved ones, will kill you. red meat, milk fat, high sugar content, booze (how i miss you), and good tobacco. my life would slowly loose context without the little sensory joys that i share with my loved ones. i realize threads like this ARE light hearted, maybe juvenile, but know they are never intended to offend.

i will smoke a few good cigars tonight with friends over cards, watch them have some beers, and enjoy the company. but i am going to give a few moments' silence and peace for both our moms. o)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
103   0   0

Celebrated by keeping my ash short. No tobacco on my shorts today.

As far as views go while there seems to be a correlation between smoking and cancer there's a large segment who smoke and never develop cancer. There's a segment who DON'T smoke and develop cancer. As we are seeing there are genetic markers the predispose people to certain diseases and I believe that is more of a factor than smoking. As for the argument aabout our health and smoking there are groups that argue that fact about alchohol, red meat, McDonald's, fried foods high carb diets and high protein diets. If I find out I'm predisposed for anything that I do to make me ill or take me out sooner than expected ill consider my course of action at the time. For now there's no tobacco today...on my shorts. Respects to those battling or who have passed on due to this disease and to the loved ones who cherish them.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
In celebration of World No Tobacco day, I'm going to smoke my second UF-13dark. The first one was fantastic and I'm looking forward to this one after a nice BBQ'd rib eye and some Freemont imperal IPA with friends. Fvck the W.H.O.

Ok that was juvenile, but fun!