What's new

Would you smoke these?

Isaiah

Casablancas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got these in a trade for an old fridge I needed to get rid of. I actually only wanted the humidor but the guy threw in all of his sticks too because he needed to quit smoking for health reasons. I've only ever smoke 2 cuban cigars so I don't know much about flavor/what to expect.

I'm about 99% certain they're fakes. I cut one open and they look like long fillers nothing out the ordinary. I have about 15 of them. They have been sitting in a humidor for about 9 months. Would someone fake this band and size? Would you smoke them?

20160118_202113.jpg 20160118_202442.jpg 20160118_202424.jpg 20160118_202109.jpg

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
You should at least try one after they have had time to acclimate to your humidor and you know the RH is good. I am no expert with spotting fakes, but one is worth a try.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
put these in a ziplock bag,gallon size.
tear a 4 in square paper towel,fold it twice, and put 4 to 5 DROPS of water on it and put it in the ziploc so it does not touch the cigars.point the feet toward the opening.seal the Ziploc.
when the paper towel is dry,repeat and be patient.
in 4 to 6 weeks you can try one..........
Done this many times,9 months is not a long time,they could be fine.

Last edited:

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
put these in a ziplock bag,gallon size.
tear a 4 in square paper towel,fold it twice, and put 4 to 5 DROPS of water on it and out it in the ziplocr so it does not touch the cigars.
when the paper towel is dry,repeat and be patient.
in 4 to 6 weeks you can try one..........
Done this many times,9 months is not a long time,they could be fine.
Touché.

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
these are pre 2009,and the band looks good.
Let us know in a few weeks............

are these gordo or pc size?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Why are you certain they're fakes? Maybe take a close up pic of more of the bands/cigars together. Hard to tell from a couple pics... are there triple caps? Yes the band is missing a bit of the detail on the top part, but could be from the age. At first glance, seems okay to me.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Please take close pictures of the band in all direction including where they reach in the back.

The white band outline looks too fat. The embossing looks flat. I suspect counterfeit.

I'd smoke them, it's all long filler, no hair or paper or whatnot. Might be good home brewed. I'd give them a try. Some dog rockets have worst things in them and are not counterfeit ;)

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
im with Aloha, looks like the embossing has just faded as some of the impressions are still there. Can see embossing on front lower region but fades as it rises and the sides have faint resemblance of what should be(maybe used to be) there. The guts look alright, freshen them up over time and then give it a go* or just pitch them and buy new ones if you're unsure.

*barring new photos surfacing that show blatant evidence to the contrary.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Some specifics as to what gives these fakes away :

1) The upper and lower gold borders should be made up of a series of gold dots, making a line. This has just gold lines (no dots)
2) Real RyJ has detailed raised gold coins on sides. They are very hard to do, so most fakes lack this detail and have very generic looking coins (like yours)
3) The white Habana is partially touching the lower gold (off center)

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
im with Aloha, looks like the embossing has just faded as some of the impressions are still there. Can see embossing on front lower region but fades as it rises and the sides have faint resemblance of what should be(maybe used to be) there. The guts look alright, freshen them up over time and then give it a go* or just pitch them and buy new ones if you're unsure.

I've noticed the semi embossed too, but saw that before on fakes I got from a friend who got from a friend who went to Cuba...

But the coins are simple, not complex; and the white border is too wide.

Which is why I am asking for close-up, to be sure.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I've noticed the semi embossed too, but saw that before on fakes I got from a friend who got from a friend who went to Cuba...

But the coins are simple, not complex; and the white border is too wide.

Which is why I am asking for close-up, to be sure.
All in all, real or fake, might be worth the 4 or 5 bucks a stick to replace with something similar:)

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
also,these are at least 7 years old,could be a nice smoke.
'06 to '09 were decent years,with a few standouts,and worth saving.
The size indicates a Mille fleur or PC especial,or tubo 2.Low potential for fakes due to price,and the tobacco in the pic is long filler,and looks good.
Bands on Cubans are notorious for being erratic,thick gold areas and uneven registration are common.
I don't know where Cuban bands are printed,but you can bet it is a cheap vendor.
Non Cuban bands are printed in Miami for the most part,and the process is much better.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

What do you or @AlohaStyle know about ccs bro? :)