What's new

Wrapper differences and your favorite?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the different wrappers out there?

Here are some I know - Maduro, Sungrown, Connecticut, Corojo, Natural

I am sure I am missing some.

I am trying to figure out the major differences when picking out a cigar. It seems like majority of the cigars I see are maduro so that must be the favorite?

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
"It seems like majority of the cigars I see are maduro so that must be the favorite?"

Just curious about that last statement....is that all you see people smoking or all you see when you visit B&M's?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"It seems like majority of the cigars I see are maduro so that must be the favorite?"

Just curious about that last statement....is that all you see people smoking or all you see when you visit B&M's?
no what i mostly see at the B&M, I do not know too many people who smoke cigars, sorry i should have been more clearer

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
It can get confusing if not overwhelming as to how many wrappers there are out there.

Many brands will grow particular strains of tobacco to use as a wrapper. So you may have a Connecticut Sun Grown wrapper from Havana seed mixed with another type of tobacco with an equally long name; resulting in the (insert long name here) wrapper!

For some brands it's all hype...A fantastic sounding wrapper that may not be so great at all.

Some brands stick with just one or two different wrappers across all of their line.

When all is said and done, there is a huge difference of opinion as to how much the wrapper actually contributes to the overall taste of the cigar. It varies from as little as 5% to as much as 40%.

You may want to just find a stick you like, and not worry about what the wrapper is. If it turns out after a year or so that you 4 out of the 5 cigars you love have an "X" wrapper, then go with it.

Just my two cents!

Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I am trying to figure out the major differences when picking out a cigar. It seems like majority of the cigars I see are maduro so that must be the favorite?
many people favor a maduro over a natural, but your taste buds are better at telling you what is good, than my taste buds telling you.

...You may want to just find a stick you like, and not worry about what the wrapper is. If it turns out after a year or so that you 4 out of the 5 cigars you love have an "X" wrapper, then go with it...
couldn't agree more.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Wrappers are almost always graded by coloring for the most part. Oscuro, Rosado, Maduro etc etc. The problem starts where descriptives are used to "pinpoint" where the seed variety, region and even the leaf off the plant are used. A great example is the Conn. Broadleaf Maduro wrapper that both Cmac and Larry are Pimping from corner. Get off my corner boys!:)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrappers are almost always graded by coloring for the most part. Oscuro, Rosado, Maduro etc etc. The problem starts where descriptives are used to "pinpoint" where the seed variety, region and even the leaf off the plant are used. A great example is the Conn. Broadleaf Maduro wrapper that both Cmac and Larry are Pimping from corner. Get off my corner boys!:)
generally speaking, i agree with this entire post. the only thing that can get confusing is that "maduro" and "Oscuro" are not just color designations but also processes of curing and/or fermentation that just happen to darken the leaf.

maduro is a leaf that has been packed and fermented in a bale at a higher temperature brought on by the pressure of the bale. this "cooks" the leaf to some degree makes it darker and brings out some of the sugars. the subtle sweetness that this brings on makes it very popular.

oscuro leaves are left on the plant for a significantly longer time. they become thicker and heartier than they normally would. they begin to cure on the pant before they are harvested. this leaves them darker than if they were picked "on time"

so though color is a good way to divide up wrapper leaves, it is not 100% accurate because "maduro" and "oscuro" are not just colors, but processes.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
generally speaking, i agree with this entire post. the only thing that can get confusing is that "maduro" and "Oscuro" are not just color designations but also processes of curing and/or fermentation that just happen to darken the leaf.

maduro is a leaf that has been packed and fermented in a bale at a higher temperature brought on by the pressure of the bale. this "cooks" the leaf to some degree makes it darker and brings out some of the sugars. the subtle sweetness that this brings on makes it very popular.

oscuro leaves are left on the plant for a significantly longer time. they become thicker and heartier than they normally would. they begin to cure on the pant before they are harvested. this leaves them darker than if they were picked "on time"

so though color is a good way to divide up wrapper leaves, it is not 100% accurate because "maduro" and "oscuro" are not just colors, but processes.
is rocky aware of this? someone please explain this to RP!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your great explanation it helps a little bit, though this is a huge world so guess will take some time.

Out of curiosity what would you recommend as some of the finest Connect Broadleaf wrappers?

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Thank you everyone for your great explanation it helps a little bit, though this is a huge world so guess will take some time.

Out of curiosity what would you recommend as some of the finest Connect Broadleaf wrappers?

The liga privada #9 has one of the most gorgeous Conn. Broadleaf wrappers available. Also any of the tatuaje reserva's ( which are tougher to find ) except for the SW and J21 Also the La Riqueza line has a VERY tasty conn broadleaf wrapper.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
And then you get a master like "Litto" who rubs his Oscuro leaves to give them
that dark, but shiny sheen! that so many of his sticks have!