What's new

wrappers

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda new to the sophistication of cigar smoking. My question is: Does the color of the wrapper effect the taste of the cigar? Or is it just esthetics?
Al

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Depends on who you ask as to how much it actually affects it but the answer is usually yes no matter in what capacity. Its also less common to find a lighter wrapper with an extremely strong filler in it, so the wrapper is sometimes a clue.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Maduro wrapper (very dark) is usually sweeter then the natural version of the same cigar. Same thing with cuban cigars, to me, EL's are more sweeter. But, dark wrappers on regular production aren't as sweet to me but they aren't as dark as EL's either. Sorry if I confused you!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
yes. the color and type of wrapper will change the taste of a cigar. For a personal taste test buy fuente 858. they come in natural ( cameroon), maduro, claro (green) and sun grown. All four have the exact same size and blend but with different wrappers. Each one of these has a distinct and very different profile form the others.

Now, don't let the wrapper intimidate you. I've had some very dark, colorado wrappers that I thought would have been ass kickers but turned out to be mild or med. On the other hand, i've smoke extremly light conneticut shade wrappers that have kicked my ass. It all goes to the blending of the tabacco in the cigars.

After you've smoked for a while, you may develop a personal taste for a certain color or esthetics in a cigar. For me, I love the look of a dark wrapper that glissens with oil! To me, it let's me know that the wrapper may have a lot to offer in taste and aromas. Soung good?????? eh????

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
ohpus said:
yes. the color and type of wrapper will change the taste of a cigar. For a personal taste test buy fuente 858. they come in natural ( cameroon), maduro, claro (green) and sun grown. All four have the exact same size and blend but with different wrappers. Each one of these has a distinct and very different profile form the others.

Now, don't let the wrapper intimidate you. I've had some very dark, colorado wrappers that I thought would have been ass kickers but turned out to be mild or med. On the other hand, i've smoke extremly light conneticut shade wrappers that have kicked my ass. It all goes to the blending of the tabacco in the cigars.

After you've smoked for a while, you may develop a personal taste for a certain color or esthetics in a cigar. For me, I love the look of a dark wrapper that glissens with oil! To me, it let's me know that the wrapper may have a lot to offer in taste and aromas. Soung good?????? eh????
Well stated Ohpus

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes the wrapper does effect the taste of the cigar. My friend when he is testing a new blend or for his regular smoking in general does not use a wrapper because he wants to taste the flavor of the leaves. Occasionally I'll have a cigar with a Sumatra wrapper which can make the cigar somewhat spicy but not as spicy as a cigar with Nicaraguan filler.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New here. I checked the FAQ's and i did not see anything on cross forum posting so i hope this is ok. The best discussion of this topic i have come across can be found here.

Again, i hope this is not tabu, but the information in there is directly related to the topic. Just trying to help out.

_____
mg