What's new

WTF Is with these people!!?!!

Fresh50

Here to Learn and Burn!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Major fight over cigar-store smoking in Danvers:
Cigar smoking, indoors and out, has become a cause celebre in Danvers, Massachusetts (population: 25,212).

The Danvers Herald reported that Cigars R Us owner Frank Ciampa submitted a request for an exception to the local Board of Health’s strict anti-smoking policy which does not allow smoking in tobacco shops. The Board’s law is stricter than the state law, which has an exception for retail tobacconists.

Naturally, the anti-smoking forces in the town are against the variance, but the head of the Danvers Downtown Improvement Committee, C.R. Lyons, sent a letter requesting the variance by approved so that smoking within the store was permitted. However, at the same time, Lyons would require that the benches outside the store be removed so that smoking does not take place outside the store.

The outdoor smoking, currently permitted by law, has offended enough people that a petition, signed by 13 people, to ban smoking within 25 feet of entrances to buildings, will be submitted to the Town Meeting in May. Petitions must have ten signatures to qualify for presentation.

Such a petition has little possibility of passage, since the Board of Health cannot provide enforcement for areas it does not issue permits for. And as yet, it does not issue permits for outdoor areas.

The issue is a microcosm of the intolerance toward smoking which is being promoted by anti-tobacco task forces and, to a smaller extent, by intolerant members of the public. What happens in Danvers is worth paying attention to.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
The issue is a microcosm of the intolerance toward smoking which is being promoted by anti-tobacco task forces and, to a smaller extent, by intolerant members of the public. What happens in Danvers is worth paying attention to.

And this smoking issue is just a microsim of the loss of rights we as US citizens have been allowing for many years...

Neither is right!

Are we not adults? Intelligent, mature enough and wise enough to think, act and live as we please without having laws, guidelines and ordinances up the ass to tell us what we should already know.

The government has not been "for" the people for along time.

What I think should be done is each cigar forum elects one person from their board to represent them, and band all together to finally start fighting back...
for if we lose this one, then we might as well pack it up and accept the fact that the US government has become "our" babysitter and start acting like the sheep (sorry ES) they have been trying to turn us into for years!

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Tobacco smell outside goes away quickly, and any complainers simply need to be lined up against a brick wall, while the rest of us light up and fire... <G> I do notice that where I work the rabid anti-smokers never complain about the idiots who microwave fish in the public break-room every other day. That smell can make a dead polecat gag, and it permeates a HUGE retail furniture store within minutes... But I guess it wouldn't be "politically correct" to complain about the fish, while my afternoon cigar stirs 'em up like poking a stick in a fire-ant nest.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Public intoxication is still funny though, no matter the threat to human life. Yet smoking is bad.

Drugs are uber cool. That 70's Show is hillarious during the "circle" scenes. It's even on during the time I let my kids watch whatever they want. Still, smoking cigars are bad.

I say piss on the Moral Majority until they can get thier morals in order.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Could be worse you could be having that damn James Blunt song running thru your head... what is it?

Ah yes.... "My Cubicle"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O_5ef49N5I[/YOUTUBE]

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thats my local B&M and he is a cool guy and close friend.

People have nothing to do but worry about three guys at the most sitting on a bench and smoking cigars.

WTF people. Go get a job !!

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
my cubicle :rofl:

I'm glad we can smoke at my local, otherwise I don't know where I'd smoke, plus it would really take the fun out of going... ok not all of it, but it would remove the best part from the visit

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I rarely go to a B&M anymore. Mainly because the ones around here don't have a sitting area.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to complain about any kind of smoke. I'm asthmatic. Lately it hasn't been as bad as in the past but stuff like cigarette smoke, and REALLY cheap cigar smoke bothers me immensely. Pipe tobacco and cigar smoke, not so much.

A lot of it is ignorance and paranoia. Kind of a, "Oh n0es! 2nd hand smoke is bad! t3h smoke will keeeeel me!" Fun stuff.