What's new

WTF just happened at CBID?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have had this happen a few times where I bid on something and it was such a good deal they took it off. I called them and they said it was a "glitch" and I said I didn't care....it was a contract as stipulated by their site that said if I bid on something and I won I had to pay....which means if they put something on auction and I win then I pay and they send me the product. They danced around and talked about this and that and how high the sky is and what color white is and so on....they never did anything and then I bid on another auction but ensured that I gave them a discontinued card and bid on a box of cigars ( can't remember what) and won the auction at $735.....guess what? I called them and said I couldn't pay and they said it was a contract and I said...."You mean like the one I won and you discontinued because of a glitch and you never sent me my winning?"........more excuses they gave and I told them good luck on getting the funds for the auction I won......CBID can suck it
lol.

I'm pretty sure these auctions didn't end for another 2 or 3 days and then all of a sudden they were closed.

Took me by surprise.
BTW....the Mayimbe is nothing short of great. Bought them some time ago and and fired one of them up....excellent cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it's because San Lotanos and Pinoleros were averaging $5/stick and with the $6 New World coming soon AJF didn't want to compete against their own cigars on auction

or maybe this is the shape of things to come with the FDA cartoon weight hanging over us. Maybe this is just the start of the makers distancing themselves from the auction sites.

For me the Lotanos were a win because of how good they were at the price you could get them for. For $9 I'm taking an Illusione or L'Atelier Maduro over the Lotano every time.

I don't get it because the guy who buys a cigar at an auction site is a pretty small niche. With our small numbers it's not like we're cutting into the maker's bottom line buying these cigars cheap. The average Joe will never register on cbid, and auctions only do the makers good because auction site users are the ones who review and talk about these sticks all over the web, where Joey Bagodonuts then reads about them and goes to his B&M and asks for them. Everybody wins.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't get it because the guy who buys a cigar at an auction site is a pretty small niche. With our small numbers it's not like we're cutting into the maker's bottom line buying these cigars cheap.
Actually actions don't cut into the maker's bottom line at all. Whether CI sells the cigar for $8 on CI or $2 on Cbid, they still pay the manufacturer the same price. Usually when a manufacturer pulls their cigars from an auction site, it is because the B&Ms are bitching about it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Have had this happen a few times where I bid on something and it was such a good deal they took it off. I called them and they said it was a "glitch" and I said I didn't care....it was a contract as stipulated by their site that said if I bid on something and I won I had to pay....which means if they put something on auction and I win then I pay and they send me the product. They danced around and talked about this and that and how high the sky is and what color white is and so on....they never did anything and then I bid on another auction but ensured that I gave them a discontinued card and bid on a box of cigars ( can't remember what) and won the auction at $735.....guess what? I called them and said I couldn't pay and they said it was a contract and I said...."You mean like the one I won and you discontinued because of a glitch and you never sent me my winning?"........more excuses they gave and I told them good luck on getting the funds for the auction I won......CBID can suck it
Amen, brother! I spent thousands upon thousands of dollars at Cbid. Over the past couple of years when things starting going downhill, I started to post my concerns on their forum hoping they'd get the hint and make some changes. My main complaint (besides customer service) was all the CI purchased labels slapped on dog rockets, that they where passing off as the originals. I guess it was easier to ban me, a loyal customer for years, rather then change their "less then honest" marketing practices. I'm really surprised that there hasn't been hundreds of complaints filed against them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I should have stocked up on San Lotanos. I like the cigar but not at the price they are at B&Ms . Hopefully this isn't a trend and more manufacturers don't go down this road.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I don't get it because the guy who buys a cigar at an auction site is a pretty small niche. With our small numbers it's not like we're cutting into the maker's bottom line buying these cigars cheap.
Actually actions don't cut into the maker's bottom line at all. Whether CI sells the cigar for $8 on CI or $2 on Cbid, they still pay the manufacturer the same price. Usually when a manufacturer pulls their cigars from an auction site, it is because the B&Ms are bitching about it.
More than likely the B&M just isn't ordering the cigars because the customers come in bitching about how they can get it for $2 online. It doesn't make sense for the B&M to carry a cigar they can't sell.

In the last few years there has been a huge increase in price protected brands in the attempt of the manufacturers to get back on the shelf of the B&M and also to help strengthen their brands and not be labeled as a discount brand.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Amen, brother! I spent thousands upon thousands of dollars at Cbid. Over the past couple of years when things starting going downhill, I started to post my concerns on their forum hoping they'd get the hint and make some changes. My main complaint (besides customer service) was all the CI purchased labels slapped on dog rockets, that they where passing off as the originals. I guess it was easier to ban me, a loyal customer for years, rather then change their "less then honest" marketing practices. I'm really surprised that there hasn't been hundreds of complaints filed against them.
There have actually been a ton of complaints but since they "run" the outfit they are free to control any negative aspect of the business. What we read in Cigar Forums is just the tail end of the real facts as to how CBID runs their business. It was years ago when they ran some great auctions and even I would think...how can they do this with a brand of cigar at such a "low" price and a day or two before the auction was to end....they pull it with some real nondescript reasoning. I used to live on the Auction Site and would ensure that I get my bid in within the first few hours and then keep a "watch" on it and notate when it ended....I'd be there 1/2 hour before the auction ended but I would receive a notice that the auction was pulled. That was my first run in and I called to let them know that I put in my bid and they were obligated by their own contract to send me the bid regardless of why they pulled the auction. Rambling BS followed by heavy coughing and then they would tell me "contractually" they could pull ANY auction for any reason they wanted to citing...not enough product to fill the auction...to warehouse not having enough product to meet their obligations to just random thoughts of nicely telling me to go F myself when I told them that people need to know how they run their business. Funny how next time I logged in I wasn't able to "log in" so I changed my named and use my middle name with a different card and used my address of a condo I owned in San Diego. Wasn't more than a few months later and they pulled the same old deal. I don't use CBID anymore nor do I use CigarsInternational because of how they do business and there are far more Vendors who do their business in a reputable manner. What we're seeing now is other Vendors who know what is going on as well....and instead of blowing everything out of the water they elect to pull their business and all they'll have left is "B" grade inventory from which to sell their own CI branding and cheap cigars. Newb's tend not to understand the inner workings of CI and CBID.....as is said many times...something is rotten in Denmark.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There have actually been a ton of complaints but since they "run" the outfit they are free to control any negative aspect of the business. What we read in Cigar Forums is just the tail end of the real facts as to how CBID runs their business. It was years ago when they ran some great auctions and even I would think...how can they do this with a brand of cigar at such a "low" price and a day or two before the auction was to end....they pull it with some real nondescript reasoning. I used to live on the Auction Site and would ensure that I get my bid in within the first few hours and then keep a "watch" on it and notate when it ended....I'd be there 1/2 hour before the auction ended but I would receive a notice that the auction was pulled. That was my first run in and I called to let them know that I put in my bid and they were obligated by their own contract to send me the bid regardless of why they pulled the auction. Rambling BS followed by heavy coughing and then they would tell me "contractually" they could pull ANY auction for any reason they wanted to citing...not enough product to fill the auction...to warehouse not having enough product to meet their obligations to just random thoughts of nicely telling me to go F myself when I told them that people need to know how they run their business. Funny how next time I logged in I wasn't able to "log in" so I changed my named and use my middle name with a different card and used my address of a condo I owned in San Diego. Wasn't more than a few months later and they pulled the same old deal. I don't use CBID anymore nor do I use CigarsInternational because of how they do business and there are far more Vendors who do their business in a reputable manner. What we're seeing now is other Vendors who know what is going on as well....and instead of blowing everything out of the water they elect to pull their business and all they'll have left is "B" grade inventory from which to sell their own CI branding and cheap cigars. Newb's tend not to understand the inner workings of CI and CBID.....as is said many times...something is rotten in Denmark.
Preaching to the choir, my friend. I was a big fan of the original LPH Morado. After production stopped, I grabbed the last 2 boxes that Holts had. About a year later, they show up at CI for $3. I asked on Cbid's forum how they could possibly be selling a $10 cigar for $3 retail. Steve (board moderator) assured me that they where the real deal, and that they where saving money with a cheaper box and no cedar wrap. Skeptical, I bid on a 5ver. What a total dog rocket! Not only was it not even close to being the same cigar/blend, the RG/length where different, and the band looked like a fuzzy photo copy of the real one. Not learning my lesson, they got me again on a box of "aged" (cough, cough) Torano Noventas when they first offered them. Their ad copy 3 years later still claims that they are a "limited" number of original boxes that Charlie Torano had "forgotten" he had laying around his warehouse. Serious untruths. Calling CI's version dog rockets would be an insult to dog rockets.

Negative reviews are never published on CI's product description pages. Nothing but glowing reviews on even the worst dog rocket. Either these reviews are fake, or a whole bunch of folk have some serious "palate issues".

CI/Cbid are the plaid coat wearing used car salesmen of the cigar world. Ever since I stopped buying from them, and gave my business to one of our sponsors, I've been smoking better cigars at around the same price.

BTW, when I was talking about complaints, I didn't mean with CI/Cbid's customer service. I meant with the PA Attorney General's Office. Then again, maybe there are, but the SHHTF yet.

Last edited: