What's new

WTF?!?!? My b&m just went non-smoking!!!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
So my wife and I went to dinner tonight, had some Italian food and some wine...and decided to head over to the b&m to enjoy a couple of after-dinner cigars. Now mind you, it's friggin August in Dallas Texas which means it's hotter than a frying pan outside....it's not enjoyable to smoke a cigar outside when it's over 100º.

So we go to my favorite local cigar shop, "UP IN SMOKE" in central Dallas (75 & NW Hwy), located in an upscale strip center across the street from the most hoighty-toighty mall in the area only to find they no longer allow smoking inside the store.

Why?!?!?

Because the brand-new Sorbet place nextdoor complained to the propery owner about cigar smoke!

WTF?!?!?

That cigar shop has been there 15+ years! The Barnes & Noble on the other side never caused any problems, and the Eyemasters that was nextdoor forever (until they moved into the actual mall) never caused any problems. But now this Sorbet place moved in and started complaining, so the landlord has forced the cigar shop to go non-smoking.

Fuck! You know, if you don't want to smell like you're next door to a cigar shop, then here's a thought: Don't fucking move in nextdoor to a fucking cigar shop!!!!!

<sorry, I'm ranting and I'm pissed>

Anyways, they're hoping they'll work something out with the landlord, but apparently it's been going on for a couple of weeks now. I dunno what's gonna happen now.

I went ahead and bought a Tatuaje "A", a Tatuaje EAST, and a Padron 26...and I'm now sitting in my garage smoking the EAST. It's an awesome cigar, I'm thankfully the sun's down now so it's only 85º outside, but it sure would have been nice to smoke the cigar in the comfortable Air Conditioned shop right after our meal.

:crying:

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
That seriously blows, dude! I can't see a cigar shop doing very well if you aren't allowed to smoke inside! Hopefully it's just a temporary thing, or they can come to some kind of a compromise with the sorbet shop.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Damn! Sorry to hear about this Duane. I didn't even know they had an UIS at Nw. Hwy. and 75.? I thought UpTown was the closest to that area.

Let me know if they reinstate the smoking policy. I'm working right down there at Greenville and Lovers... right around the corner and too close not to stop in for a smoke.

BTW - a bunch of us are meeting at Two Brothers in Plano on Thursday night. Any of you guys interested, I'll be there at around 5:30pm.

mac

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yeah, the Uptown location is new, I've been there a couple of times. It's nice--and they still allow smoking. Well, unless the Texas Rangers Pro Shop closes and a Sorbet place moves in! LOL

I used to live at Greenville/Lovers, in a condo right behind Central Market and Krispy Kream. I now live a couple miles east by White Rock Lake.

I actually work in Richardson, which is right down the road from Two Brothers. I'll see if maybe I can make it up there after work!

sloth

5_toed
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It sucks that you lost a smoking hole. I'm not really bothered to hear this. Maybe it is PC bullshit or, yeah... the shop has been there for years, but it was the property-owners choice... if the shop owner doesn't like it then they can move to some place else.

A B&M in Omaha had to deal with a flower shop opening up right next to them. They had problems at first, but it died down after they built a good relationship with the flower shop employees.

As long as there isn't any bullshit laws created that caused this... i don't see anything wrong with it...

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
That sucks, bro! I guess you'll just have to come out here more.:nodlaugh:

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
As long as there isn't any bullshit laws created that caused this... i don't see anything wrong with it...
I do. The shop was a faithful tenant for 15 years! Then they get their business severely affected by a new tenant that wants to complain about something that's legal? Horse crap!

Yes, they can move, but do you know how much it costs to make a walk-in humidor like that? The Spanish cedar, the fixtures? The Sorbet shop knew what they were getting into. I would understand if the cigar shop moved in, but it was the other way around. I generally go by the rule that you don't come in and try to change things. Not in all circumstances, but in alot. Especially in business, you don't move in somewhere and try to change a dynamic without some good will established.

And for a frickin sorbet shop?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Wow. That does suck.
Now you understand what it's like for us in the Pacific Northwest.
(where the Peoples Republic of Seattle just banned plastic bags for "our" good....)

sloth

5_toed
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do. The shop was a faithful tenant for 15 years! Then they get their business severely affected by a new tenant that wants to complain about something that's legal? Horse crap!

Yes, they can move, but do you know how much it costs to make a walk-in humidor like that? The Spanish cedar, the fixtures? The Sorbet shop knew what they were getting into. I would understand if the cigar shop moved in, but it was the other way around. I generally go by the rule that you don't come in and try to change things. Not in all circumstances, but in a lot. Especially in business, you don't move in somewhere and try to change a dynamic without some good will established.

And for a frickin sorbet shop?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Well assuming the building has been owned by the same people for 15 years you would think that the cigar shop would have had a better relationship with the property owner so something like this wouldn't even happen.

I don't see anything wrong with it because as I read it... it is business as usual. It isn't my way of doing business, but the property owner has every right, however asinine, to dictate how things go on their property... which, maybe I'm wrong, is a perfectly legal thing to do.

Hell I work for a small beverage distro that deals with Anheuser-Busch products. For years they did great business in a small warehouse. Completely paid for, so profits were high.. then just like that! A-B says we need a new warehouse or lose the contract. So my boss had to spend 3 million on a new warehouse just to keep the business.

Or how about a family-own grocery store in my city that was Wal-Mart&#8217;ed to death&#8230; they served the community for 30+ years!

I'm not saying what happen to the B&M is cool, I'm just saying that is the cost of doing business. In this case to put yourself under the whimes of a landlord.

If I was the cigar store owner I would assume the property owner is just a little hung up on pleasing the new people. A little starry-eyed, if you will. I would become a pest and keep talking to them about what I could do to allow smoking back into my shop and to keep pushing the fact that it is hurting my business.