What's new

X-take: Guillermo Leon Corona Corda

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Smoke: Guillermo Leon Corona Gorda; Beverage: Coke; Location: Federal Cigar, Epping, NH
1.jpg
Pre-Cut: Mildly coarse feel to the wrapper, a few distinct veins, smells of sweet early hay with a mild undertone of oats. Precut wrapper tastes of a stronger oat with a fleck of black pepper.

Cap-Cut: Cap cut easily with a few longer leaves protruding after the cut.

Cold-Draw: Very strong hay flavor. Very easy draw.
2.jpg
1st Third: Immediately the hay persists with a hint of cream and pepper after initial light. Oat and spice flavor is a little more predominent in the retrohale. No bite on the retrohale. About a half inch into the burn the flavor is turning more to the cream with sweet tobacco lingering on the palette. Nice rich clean smoke to it. Ashtray smoke is nothing spectacular, but about average for DR tobacco. Ash is coming out a dingy grey and staying that way. About an inch into the burn and the flavor is over to a rich sweet cream with just a hint of pepper. Leaves a light cocoa flavor behind in between draws.
3.jpg
2nd Third: Beginning the second third the ash from the first light is still holding on. Starting to bow a little. The spice level has picked up considerably compared to the start. The cream has become a little more of an afterthought. The prevalent flavor now is a nice earthy hay tone with a kick of spice on the back end. The ash finally gave up on me after about 2 and a quarter inches. Flavor is swapping more to a woodsy maple flavor, still with that little kick of spice that stays behind. Retrohale is still nice and smooth with an appreciative bite from the pepper. The smoke has a nice almost sticky sweet taste to it from the maple that leaves the palette fairly quickly. Towards the end of the 2nd third the notes turn to a strong earthy hay with the spice diminishing at the front of the palette but lingers shortly after expunging the smoke.
5.jpg
3rd Third: As the last third begins the smoke becomes more and more earthy tasting. The spice is still there, but gradually getting lighter. Needed a minor correction on the burn as one side started peaking on me. The flavor isn't changing much at this point, just a very rich earthy hay tone. About halfway into this third the stick just lost me. The flavors were getting to wet and earthy for my personal enjoyment.
8.jpg
Nicotine Strength: I would put this at mild-medium.

Burn Time: 3:50pm EST till 4:54pm EST (inch and a half left on the stick)

Final Thoughts: The first 2/3rds of this cigar was wonderful with flavor transitions and overall enjoyment with the creamy sweetness of it. However, that being said, this cigar lost me at the last third of it. Personally I would not purchase another of these cigars for that reason.

Edit: I know I'm punching a few of these out in succession, but am working on a website for a class I am taking would enjoy any criticism to make my reviews better. Thanks.