What's new

X40 Herf for full time? + other ?'s

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, so a while back i bought a humidor off thompson and kicked myself everyday since getting it. It was a glass top one, i think 100+ sticks & had the hygro in the front. when i got it, the glass was loose and i figured that was bad for the seal, so i used some spills to wedge in there and try to close the gap.

anyway, it was bad and thompson sucked for service, so i got rid of it and have been using my x15 herf for temporary storage.

i have thought about using a x40 herf for long term storage, but im a little curious if there would be any issues.
I would be using the trays and probably a tube of beads or gel to keep it good & fresh.

i have thought about making a coolidor, but its not really my thing to make one as id rather have my cigars out individually, not boxed (as i never get them in boxes, yet. usually 10's or less) and i would like something a bit nicer looking.

I will be getting more and more as i go, because i really want to start keeping them for a while and aging them.

any ideas?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Just don't think that would be an ideal situation. they are conisdered temporary for a reason, right? you don't have to store your stash in boxes to make a coolidor. you could get some cedar trays to hold your singles and keep those in the cooler.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i understand about the shelf systems, but im just put off by using a cooler for something like this. im kinda leaning toward some kinda wine-a-dor if i can find one cheap enough.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
i understand about the shelf systems, but im just put off by using a cooler for something like this. im kinda leaning toward some kinda wine-a-dor if i can find one cheap enough.
you don't have to do a shelf system, can do something like this set up. You could go with a smaller one so that just the trays would fit.

I understand coolers arent the nicest thing to look at but they are great for economical storage while you save for that wine a dor.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my thoughts are (and bear with me if im wrong, i just found out about the wine a dors) if the coolidor costs ~$80 +, then why not just spend the extra $40+ to get a wine cooler? Sure, ill be needing some more gear to outfit it, but youd have the BASE for the awesome answer to the issues?

also, is there a better wine cooler to go for? ive been looking thru the forums and i saw someone that makes ready made drawers/shelves for them. who was that?

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually just found a Vintemp VT-28TEDS on CL for under $100, but its not cooling so im looking into getting the price down AND getting it fixed. crossing fingers

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I know forrest (GolfNut) make some as well as some other members here. search the forums you'll find them.

your other quesiton is the age old question Coolidor Vs Wine-a-dor. The short answer is that you will spend a lot more money to "outfit" a wineador than a coolidor.

My experience was this. I thought like you and i found a 12 bottle wine fridge on craigslist with the intendion of building a wine-a-dor. Started adding up what it would take and the amount of work to set it up how i wanted and realized was more than i was able to spend. so wound up leaving it a wine fridge and went with a 48qt cooler and after i put some simple cedar shelves cost me less than what i paid for the fridge. So the initial costs may be close, the money one spends to "upgrade" a coolidor and wineador are very far apart.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if i may ask, aside from the same things a cool a dor needs, what would a wine a dor need?

in my head, shelves (not an issue), hygro, humidification (heartland?) and thats it. got a fan built in.