What's new

Xcode Help - Resolved

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Is anyone familiar with Xcode? I am trying to download and install but keeping getting an error saying to consult /var/log/install.log.

Any help would be great

Last edited:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Not a lot of experience with Xcode itself, but I use some components of it at work. What's the exact error you're seeing when you try to install it?

Also, does the install.log show any specific error messages during the install? You should be able to find it in the console. Under /Var/log/

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GUIs are for wimps. ;)
Open up a terminal window and type "tail -20 /var/log/install.log" to view the last 20 messages in the log file. (change 20 to a bigger number to go back farther) . To view the whole log type "more /var/log/install.log".
I hope that helps. I don't have any experience with Xcode, but I may be able to help you out with any generic OSX/UNIX questions.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
This is what I get when I look up in terminal.

Dec 20 08:23:14 Joshs-MacBook-Pro installd[344]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DeveloperTools.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fd2b9d9f400 {NSFilePath=./preinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/Applications/Install%20Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/DeveloperTools.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsLeo, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DeveloperTools.pkg”.} {
NSFilePath = "./preinstall";
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cDeveloperTools.pkg\U201d.";
NSURL = "file://localhost/Applications/Install%20Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/DeveloperTools.pkg";
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsLeo";
}
Dec 20 08:23:14 Joshs-MacBook-Pro installer[335]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DeveloperTools.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7ff9ac482380 {NSFilePath=./preinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/Applications/Install%20Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/DeveloperTools.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsLeo, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DeveloperTools.pkg”.}
Dec 20 08:23:15 Joshs-MacBook-Pro installer[335]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm not familiar with xcode, but from a little digging it appears to be a bug with OS 10.6.6. What OS are you running?

EDIT: Try this work around:

I successfully installed it this way.

So go to Applications-folder. Find "Install Xcode".

Right-click and choose "Show Content" (or something, swedish language activated).

Go to Contents > Resources and doubleclick Xcode and iOS SDK.mpkg.

Then you're good to go with the installation.

I'll leave the "install xcode" file be in Applications folder.
EDIT 2: Some users are also saying there's a issue where it looks for needed disk space before it will continue. Make sure you have at least 3GB free

EDIT 3: It may not be the actual amount you need free on the HD, but just that you need to clear space on your startup partition. Clear some space, reboot, and retry the install method above

EDIT 4: There is also an issue where iTunesHelper keeps running and using up too much space which causes the install to fail. Fix:
Re. XCode stuck waiting for iTunes to quit, even though iTunes has quit - it's the iTunesHelper. Fire up the Activity Manager, view all processes, find iTunesHelper and kill it - this will free up the install and it will continue on.
EDIT 5: I found a few more fixes that involve creating a Root account and adjusting some background processes but I'll wait to see if any of the prior stuff fixes your issue first. Good luck!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I have seen some of these before. I tried going into the install app and loading it using the Xcode.mpkg.

The one thing I havent tried is freeing up start up space. Im not to sure how to do that. I have a 750Gb hard drive and only using about 62Gb. So not in issue on HD space.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have seen some of these before. I tried going into the install app and loading it using the Xcode.mpkg.

The one thing I havent tried is freeing up start up space. Im not to sure how to do that. I have a 750Gb hard drive and only using about 62Gb. So not in issue on HD space.
What version of OS X are you running?

EDIT: Also, I believe Xcode gets installed system-wide when you install it. Try creating a new OS X user account and installing Xcode there. If it's successful and you can run the system tools you need from it in your primary user account, you can just kill the new user account you created and you should be good to go.

If that does work, I'd still be concerned about what's going on in your primary user account. May want to repair disk and disk permissions.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

Try this method:

Hi The problem is quite simple and after having it a couple of times It dawned on me what teh problem was.

In the Past I've used the Root account as a main account for a variety of reasons and when I used the Root Account to install I got a flurry or error messages and it only installed to 98%.

After Reading the coments made I see a pattern. The times where you have re-installed it, the Permitions where changed.

If you go into your Login Items in the User accounts In preferances.

You can remove login items from the computer when the computer first starts up. The reason for the error is that the iTunes helper is active (On and Running a simplified vertion of iTunes). The same is true for any other program that is available at login, & in my case it was iPlayer (BBC) and Final Cut's quad core processing.

So by removing that option in my normal account. The instalation was fine with no problems.

In Conclusion.

Before installing go into Preferances/ Accounts/ select your account that is open and being used/ Choose at teh Top Login Items from the menu above the account icon (password / Login Items)/ In Log in items you will see some programs, De-select any that are there and close the system preferances.

It is also worth creating a Root account if only for this install. Use Help to direct you as it seems to move between OS's as often as the Tardis! for 10.5 it's under login Options/ Look at the botom of the box for Network Account Server (Join) and click the join Button. When in the next menu refer to the Help instructions as the instructions change on both computers I have. So good Luck.
EDIT: Also, here's a walkthrough guide: http://sdkit.com/tutorial/how-to-fix-xcode-4-installation-stuck-issue-on-mac-os-x-lion/

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Thanks to everyone that chimed in here and helped out.

Result was the new user and installing went through no problem. I as on the phone with apple care while I tried this (figured i paid for it might as well use it) The person that ended up on the phone with me mentioned might be something to do with permission repair on the original user. I ran the repair permissions there was on that needed fixing so hopefully I wont have this issue when there is an update.

Thanks again guys. This is why I love this forum.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks to everyone that chimed in here and helped out.

Result was the new user and installing went through no problem. I as on the phone with apple care while I tried this (figured i paid for it might as well use it) The person that ended up on the phone with me mentioned might be something to do with permission repair on the original user. I ran the repair permissions there was on that needed fixing so hopefully I wont have this issue when there is an update.

Thanks again guys. This is why I love this forum.
Woot! Glad the new user worked for you.