What's new

Xikar cutter differences?

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It really is a personal preference deal. I use my Xikar Xi1 exclusively as I was never a huge fan of the Palio. I know plenty of guys who prefer the Palio though. I just like the look and feel of my Xikar. I like the cut I get, the warranty is great, and they are sturdy.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have several cutters. Daily I grab my Xikar V cutter, or my Palio. My Xikar teardrop stays at the house to be used on the rare occasion I happen to be there, and need to clip a cigar. Even then, I tend to go out to the truck and use that one over grabbing that Xikar.
I've tried a v cut before and didn't really like it how it smoked. It could have been the cigar, but i don't think so.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the materials - just feels nicer in my hand and it seems like making a cut is easier.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I find the palio to be better and easier to handle and use.
Each person differs but I agree with ara. I have both and use both pretty consistantly. I keep my xikar in the car and Palio with my humi. Tend to smoke cheaper cigars with short amounts of time and tend to not worry about the cut with the xikar and why i keep it in the car. Palio use exclusively for good smokes. I prefer the cleanliness of the cut. Xikar can pinch cigars at times and pull wrapper. I do however like the fact that it can be in my car in the south with no worries of melting or deforming from heat and I can leave it in there perminantley. But this is just me. Honestly if you like the xikar get the xikar. You will love it...and some day when you feel like it get a Palio...worst case scenario you have a back up for when you lose one:)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I will be going to a B&M in a couple of weeks that carries both so I will be able to touch and feel. I will let you all know what I decide on going with.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Get a palio. I don't have one, or a xicar, but jfire uses a palio so that's what I'd buy lol
So what makes the Palio better? Does it have a better cut or is it a brand thing (Ford vs. Chevy)?
My opinion. But i like the cut from my palio much better. Both have great warranies. I have broken 3 xikars. Have had 2 replaced before i gave up on them. Internal spring breaks. And i have no idea how many times i had to take them apart and put the spring back in plaxe after ive dropped it. Yes i drop shit.

My palio i have carried everyday for almost 4 years i guess now. Still sharp. Never broken. I still have xikars but never use them. I only use my palios. And have dropped it a bunch.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have Xi2 and Palio. I got the Xi2 in a (NC) Cohiba Sampler in 2008. I've used it on average of 3 cigars a day since I got it. I think it is safe to estimate over 5000 cuts. Only now is the spring starting to get a little loose and one in ten uses, I need to 'assist' it opening (of course the Palio must be 'assisted' every time, so take that for whatever it's worth :)
I will trade it for new one soon at a Xi retailer.

I used the Palio about a dozen times when I got it 3 years ago and put it away. The Xikar just feels better in my hand, in my pocket, etc.
Bought the girlfriend an Xi2 a year and a half ago and she loves hers, also.

(I will acknowledge that the 2011 Xi2 feels lighter than the 2008 Xi2 - and maybe not as 'solid'. I agree that you should test drive all that you're considering before you buy.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I kinda thought you really wanted to know if it's worth it to buy a quality cutter rather than the cheap plastic one and that answer is definitely yes. Other than that I have big hands and I fumble with the xikar cutters. I do prefer the sureness of a thumb and fore finger type guillotine cutter as well as the heft and blade of a quality cutter.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I kinda thought you really wanted to know if it's worth it to buy a quality cutter rather than the cheap plastic one and that answer is definitely yes. Other than that I have big hands and I fumble with the xikar cutters. I do prefer the sureness of a thumb and fore finger type guillotine cutter as well as the heft and blade of a quality cutter.
I really like looking for what will give me the best cut. Of course feel, looks, and cost come into play as well.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Ditto. I'm not a big guy, but I have quite large hands - especially for my size. The Xikar just feels awkward in my hand. I freaking love my Palio, and my Liga cutter is second-line defense.

Though I really want a Xikar v-cutter.
Just got the Xikar V-cutter. Haven't had a chance to use it with our new baby, but I feel a celebratory cigar coming really soon :)
Please let us, or me, know how it is. I want a good v-cutter, and these appear to be the only ones worthwhile at this point.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Prefer a Palio, the Xikar just feels clumsy in my hands and I seem to struggle with it.. the Xikar multi-tool on the other hand is great is you're looking for a scissor cutter.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Palio its great but the (spring loaded) Xikar bet it clumsy is effortless.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Don't own a Palio but I do own a Xikar. I love mine. It always gives me a nice clean cut.

I also love the warranty. I was inside Cigars International and was talking to a friend about sending it away for a sharpening. The gentleman working there overheard the coversation, grabbed a new one and handed it to me. Because they are a Xikar dealer they allowed me to just do a swap out, no money required. That's a damn good warranty.